Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Pickups for budget projects

I know, you get what you pay for, but I had some good experiences with GFS, and especially IronGear.

Now does anybody know more about the "economy" pickups offered by Guitar Parts Resource? I was looking for some hotrails type pickups for a budget project. for 3 x 16 dollars it wouldn't be a problem if they suck, except for that I am lazy and don't want to do double work

could these be the same pickups offered by GFS / Artec? I quite like the lil killers, so if it is anything like that, it is well worth the money

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pickups_other.htm

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by m4rk0 View Post
    I know, you get what you pay for, but I had some good experiences with GFS, and especially IronGear.

Now does anybody know more about the "economy" pickups offered by Guitar Parts Resource? I was looking for some hotrails type pickups for a budget project. for 3 x 16 dollars it wouldn't be a problem if they suck, except for that I am lazy and don't want to do double work

could these be the same pickups offered by GFS / Artec? I quite like the lil killers, so if it is anything like that, it is well worth the money

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pickups_other.htm
    Hmmmmm. Very tough to say if their the same as the GFS pickups. There was a post on Youtube where a guy did a Strat build with single coils from them, and at least in the vid they seemed quite noisy, but that could have been for a variety of reasons. He could have been close to something like his monitor, or his amp. They did sound pretty Stratty.

The prices are super cheap though, so as you said, if you did get them and they sucked, then you're not out of pocket really. As far as off shore cheapies though, alot of these companies offerings are leaps and bounds better than say even ten years ago and what you'd get at your local shop. They use very similar construction to the big companies, with actually decent materials. Compare that to a cheap set of Chinese made singlecoils I picked up years ago. The coils were actually covered with nothing more than a tape that could very well have been masking tape; same consistency, colour, everything. No potting whatsoever, poorly molded bobbins with thin cheap plastic that barely held the height screws against spring pressure without stripping out. Just garbage. You open a modern made one and their made comparable to a Duncan, or Dimarzio, at least in the actual construction. The quality of wire may not be as good, but at least you're getting a usable pickup. I'd say pull the trigger.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

so 3 pups would cost you around $48+shipping
    if you order a pre-wired puckguard from guitar fetish yo'd be paying about the same and you'll be doing a lot less work, and you already know the quality, i'd sayno brainer, save yourself the hassle and order from guitar fetish!
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/wipi.html
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    so 3 pups would cost you around $48+shipping
    if you order a pre-wired puckguard from guitar fetish yo'd be paying about the same and you'll be doing a lot less work, and you already know the quality, i'd sayno brainer, save yourself the hassle and order from guitar fetish!
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/wipi.html
    the prewired lil killer pg's from GFS will be around 160$. I think the prewired pickguards in your link are probably comparable to squier / Epiphone.

and honestly, I don't really mind wiring that much
    as Sleeper said, for that money it is probably worth the gamble, so I am probably going to get them anyway.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Hmmmmm. Very tough to say if their the same as the GFS pickups. There was a post on Youtube where a guy did a Strat build with single coils from them, and at least in the vid they seemed quite noisy, but that could have been for a variety of reasons. He could have been close to something like his monitor, or his amp. They did sound pretty Stratty.

The prices are super cheap though, so as you said, if you did get them and they sucked, then you're not out of pocket really. As far as off shore cheapies though, alot of these companies offerings are leaps and bounds better than say even ten years ago and what you'd get at your local shop. They use very similar construction to the big companies, with actually decent materials. Compare that to a cheap set of Chinese made singlecoils I picked up years ago. The coils were actually covered with nothing more than a tape that could very well have been masking tape; same consistency, colour, everything. No potting whatsoever, poorly molded bobbins with thin cheap plastic that barely held the height screws against spring pressure without stripping out. Just garbage. You open a modern made one and their made comparable to a Duncan, or Dimarzio, at least in the actual construction. The quality of wire may not be as good, but at least you're getting a usable pickup. I'd say pull the trigger.
    You are absolutely right, I have some "budget" pickups from GFS, IronGear, Tonerider, mightymite, etc in fairly high end guitars (warmoths mainly) and I just like them as much as sd's and dimarzio's.
    my favorite humbuckers until recently were the Rio Grande BBQ/TX sets, which I have in my 2 main guitars, but I recently found that the IronGear Hot Slags are very very very close! at over half of the money

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by m4rk0 View Post
    You are absolutely right, I have some "budget" pickups from GFS, IronGear, Tonerider, mightymite, etc in fairly high end guitars (warmoths mainly) and I just like them as much as sd's and dimarzio's.
    my favorite humbuckers until recently were the Rio Grande BBQ/TX sets, which I have in my 2 main guitars, but I recently found that the IronGear Hot Slags are very very very close! at over half of the money
    Haha! yeah. My buddy calls them "legal counterfeit". Their that close in design and construction. I mean take a look at the Floyds they offer at GLS. i don't like the shape of the plate at the rear, but honestly...How can you go wrong for those unbeleivable prices? Don't get me wrong...I like buying from US/Canadian manufacturers as much as anyone, but the fact is the majority of people out there that play music either have professional careers, or jobs that pay the bills that get you through regular life, let alone a disposable enough level of income to buy gear. Not huge recording deals. Companies like Gibson lost this logic. That's why people turn to sites like this for decent quality parts for very little money. Sure you can buy an Epiphone, and don't get me wrong, the quality has come a long way, but you still usually end up having to change the weak pickups, and almost always swap out the tuners.
    At the end of the day, it comes down to getting the most for your money, not brand loyalty any more.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

95% of the time when I've tried to go cheap on guitar projects I've gotten... well, cheap. GFS pups are an amazing bargain.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    95% of the time when I've tried to go cheap on guitar projects I've gotten... well, cheap. GFS pups are an amazing bargain.
    I have to echo this...I've got a GFS Crunchy PAF and a Fat Pat and they both sound great, even in basic guitars..they definitely give great value..
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quick update,

I went for the Irongear Jailhouse rails for this time. they have to be sent from england, but their international shipping is only a little more than domestic shipping from GFS. and if they are as good as their hot slags and steel twins, it is worth the extra wait!

I am sure I will check out the guitarparts resource budget pickups soon too, in fact, I bought a red dirt guitarworks tele body for cheap on the dallas guitar show, and have no idea yet what to do with it... so we'll see

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

well i hope you dont have to wait too long for them...U.K. airspace has only just re-opened today after being closed for the past week due to that volcano in Iceland
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    well i hope you dont have to wait too long for them...U.K. airspace has only just re-opened today after being closed for the past week due to that volcano in Iceland
    Yeah, I realize that.. but again, it will be worth the wait. on a positive note, my visiting in-laws were finally able to fly back to Europe today after being stuck for almost a week!