Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:12 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Default Can we have one that ends happily?

On Friday afternoon, a "mildly autistic" 11 year old named Nadia Bloom went missing in some woods in Winter Springs, Florida. They found her today - alive!:

Nadia Bloom Found Alive
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:09:56 PM

WINTER SPRINGS -- Winter Springs police confirm Nadia Bloom, 11, has been found alive.

James King, a church member and trained search volunteer, found Bloom in Zone 13 Tuesday morning. (see map)

Dan Holland said the girl was found covered in mosquito bites and her feet waterlogged.

Bloom was also dehydrated and administered an IV.

Bloom was carried out of the woods around 11:40 a.m. and reunited with her family. She was then loaded into an ambulance and taken to South Seminole Hospital in Longwood.

She went missing during a bike ride Friday afternoon. Her bike and helmet were located that night.

Since her disappearance, crews searched woods and ponds throughout the Lake Jesup Conservation Area, which is near where she went missing from.

Police performed 12 dives in six bodies of water during the past four days. Sonar and heat detecting cameras were also used, but only animals were detected in the woods.

The Metro Church of Christ in Winter Springs will be holding a celebration from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Lawton Elementary School, where Nadia attends, issued the following statement Tuesday.

On behalf of the faculty, staff, and students of Lawton Elementary, we are relieved and happy to hear that Nadia Bloom has been found.
    We look forward to her return to her family and friends, and share their joy at her safe recovery.

from cfnews13.com

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yeah, Fox 35 has been carrying this live throughout the day. Amazing that a snake or gator didn't get to her first given the area she was in.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

COOL!!!
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Once, Cathedral, Poundcake
    Last Online

10.11.14 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Excellent
    Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps, Cross-eyed mosquitoes and bowlegged ants; I'm here before you to stand behind you To tell you something I know nothing about... ~Sammy Hagar

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...LSe/weight.png

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

An excellent ending....

But, I must say seeing that James King guy on TV and hearing his sound bite sorta creeped me out a little...

Regardless, she's back with her family and right now that's all that matters...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.Ē -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Great news.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 6,851 Times in 3,588 Posts

Premium Member

Yay! another media baby.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

I hate when this stuff happens. Maybe I'm sensitive because I have young children. Man this crap is scary.

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

Thank God she was ok.

We had one, 12 years old that was not...just less than 2 weeks ago.

Motherfucking pedophiles!

I hope he rots in hell the bastard!

TST<--------0 tolerance--------------

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

I'm happy for her family, but something more is going to come out of this.....why did she end up where she was? I know they say she's may be slightly "autistic" but what I know of autistic kids is that they like structure and routine, not wandering off into unknown swamps.

My aunt always said to be careful in Florida because right in the middle of supposedly developed areas are swamps and thickets where they'll never find a body

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I'm happy for her family, but something more is going to come out of this.....why did she end up where she was? I know they say she's may be slightly "autistic" but what I know of autistic kids is that they like structure and routine, not wandering off into unknown swamps.

My aunt always said to be careful in Florida because right in the middle of supposedly developed areas are swamps and thickets where they'll never find a body
    This girl had been reading a book on survival in just such an area and even had the book with her when they found her. As the father of a mildly Autistic child, I can testify that these children do not fit the mold one typically thinks of when one hears the term.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

well then she must have learned alot from that book

aside from being a little scuffed up and bug bitten they said she was in otherwise good shape.

let's all pitch in and get her a book about finding her way back home, cause I don't think her poor family can take another scare like this one

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

from the Houston Chronicle

http://blogs.chron.com/autismintheho...opement_1.html

Autism Elopement

It's been a tough week in autism world. It seems like when things can't get worse, they somehow do.

Particularly disturbing this week was the news regarding two children with autism. One is the disappearance of an eleven-year-old girl with autism, Nadia Bloom from her Winter Springs, Florida home. Just this morning, Nadia was found after being missing for five days in a wooded area where there are reportedly ponds and a lake nearby. Children with autism tend to be attracted to water and among children who wander, drowning is the leading cause of death.

And then there's 15-year-old Jeffrey Cooper, also missing since Sunday from his home in Boston. Jeffrey also went missing last December, but fortunately was found safe. For some children, the story does not end well.

The official term for this is "autism elopement" and it happens all over the country, every day. I know very few parents who have a child with autism who at one time or another have not had their children with autism slip away, if only for a few minutes, striking terror into their hearts.

About a year ago, when I thought we were long past the stage when Andrew was a flight risk, it happened to us. I opened the garage door to look at something in the driveway, then closed it and went about working in the kitchen. Apparently, Andrew thought when he heard the door that I had left and he was home alone. He panicked and went out the front door, though very quietly. I didn't hear him leave. After all, he hadn't done anything remotely like this for years, but his new awareness made him realize the garage door sound usually meant someone coming or going.

I don't know how I knew he was out of the house, but it hit me like a freight train. I suddenly had an overwhelming feeling he was gone. I went out through the garage and saw him at the end of the street running as fast as he could around the corner, toward the exit of our neighborhood. A few seconds later and I wouldn't have seen him, and a couple of minutes later, he would surely have been on Mason Road, a busy thoroughfare in Katy where people often drive at 50 mph in excess of the posted speed limit.

I screamed his name and chased him. When I reached him I could see he was obviously terrified. He thought he had been abandoned. To this day, every time we leave the house, we have to tell him explicitly who is in charge of taking care of him, whether it is my husband or one of his older brothers. We sometimes ask him to repeat what we've said so that we are sure he understands he is not going to be left alone.

There's a program to combat wandering related injuries and deaths called Project Lifesaver. Wrist bands with transmitters are worn by children (or in some cases adults, such as those with Alzheimer's) who are at risk of elopement. A receiver is maintained by local law enforcement who are called in an emergency so that they can locate the missing person.
    The National Autism Association has a program called FOUND, a program which helps fund the Project Lifesaver program in counties around the country. But funds for FOUND are very scarce. Alternatively, communities can raise their own funds to implement Project Lifesaver. The cost of only one typical search and rescue operation often exceeds by far what the program would cost to maintain for years.

Together, I know we can find a way to get programs in every county to avoid tragic consequences for our children.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.