Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.14.14 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Korean Wolfgangs

Well I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Wolfgang. Problem is, I've never played one and really don't know what to expect. So, I was considering getting a Korean model since it would be considerably cheaper. How much playable difference is there to the Korean as a USA? Could it be described as the difference in a Squier Strat to an American Standard? I completely understand the more expensive, USA models are bound to be better sounding, but as far as the feel goes...are they fairly equivilent? What can I expect to pay for a nice quilt top Korean model? Easy on the Korean slams...a Korean is asking...lol. I figure if I really don't like it, I could pass it on to my step-daughter who could use an upgrade from her starter Squier. She's been playing quite a bit and is doing well with it, so I could justify that. Thanks for any input...
    "Boards don't hit back" - Bruce Lee

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:30 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ME100472 View Post
    Well I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Wolfgang. Problem is, I've never played one and really don't know what to expect. So, I was considering getting a Korean model since it would be considerably cheaper. How much playable difference is there to the Korean as a USA? Could it be described as the difference in a Squier Strat to an American Standard? I completely understand the more expensive, USA models are bound to be better sounding, but as far as the feel goes...are they fairly equivilent? What can I expect to pay for a nice quilt top Korean model? Easy on the Korean slams...a Korean is asking...lol. I figure if I really don't like it, I could pass it on to my step-daughter who could use an upgrade from her starter Squier. She's been playing quite a bit and is doing well with it, so I could justify that. Thanks for any input...
    Yes i would compare them like a squire and a usa strat.

Night and day.

Sure you can upgrade the parts but still the neck wont feel as good as a more expensive model.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They Say an image is worth a 1000 words...i think this will put to rest any discussion..

Simple realy..wich one would you like to play with..

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First Alain, where the hell did you find that picture of my mom? (Not Scarlett Johannson)...lol. And, what the hell is she holding? Anyway if price was no object, I'd probably go after a new Fender. I've just noticed on e-bay that there were even a few USA production models for around $550. (The one I had seen of course didn't have a fancy flame or quilt top.) But, what should I pay for a nice quilt top Korean?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ME100472 View Post
    First Alain, where the hell did you find that picture of my mom? (Not Scarlett Johannson)...lol. And, what the hell is she holding? Anyway if price was no object, I'd probably go after a new Fender. I've just noticed on e-bay that there were even a few USA production models for around $550. (The one I had seen of course didn't have a fancy flame or quilt top.) But, what should I pay for a nice quilt top Korean?
    Ever played an OLP mm1?? You can probably get one cheaper than a Korean Wolfgang, and I would estimate that the quality is very similar. I've had great luck with OLPs. Actually, I've heard a lot worse things about the Korean Wolfgangs, and the one I played did not impress me much.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Ever played an OLP mm1?? You can probably get one cheaper than a Korean Wolfgang, and I would estimate that the quality is very similar. I've had great luck with OLPs. Actually, I've heard a lot worse things about the Korean Wolfgangs, and the one I played did not impress me much.
    No...I have seen them though. The ones on e-bay appear to have a Fender style bridge. I'd like to see one with a Floyd style. The price sure seems to be right, lol.

Last Online

10.25.13 @ 11:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to chime in here. I have a Korean Wolfgang, and honestly, I love the way it plays. Love the feel of the neck, love the overall playability, and love the sound!
    "what's that sign say?"
    "no fighting"
    "what's that mean?"
    "no fighting"

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I'm sure there are some very nice Korean Wolfgangs out there... especially considering the price. The thing is, make sure you are paying a lower price if you are actually purchasing a Korean-made Wolfgang. I've seen some Ebay sellers who conveniently forgot to mention that they were selling a Korean-made Wolfgang and they were charging a USA Wolfgang Special price. I don't check 'em all out, but when I see that bold serial number in the smaller font on the back of the neck (02..., 03...) I get suspicious.

Here is an excerpt from a site you should check out for all kinds of great Wolfgang info. Take it for what it's worth, but don't base your entire decision on this.

http://rocknrollweekend.com/other.php
    "I have gotten a lot of questions about the Korean made Wolfgang Specials, which I think is a cheap guitar. It isn't a Wolfgang as I know it. I have to question Peavey's decision to introduce this guitar as I think it really hurt sales of the higher priced American made specials and cheapened the brand. The tone is similar but definitely not the same as the Wolfgang Standard. The pick-ups were produced in Korea. I have found the quality is suspect on many of them. There are also some good ones. The quality varies greatly from one guitar to the next. The action and neck don't feel quite as good as a regular Wolfgang. It is certainly acceptable at this price point but again it isn't a Wolfgang Standard. Don't buy this guitar and judge the Wolfgang line by it. In my opinion they should have called it something different and slightly changed the shape. The Standards are very noticeably better in the way they play and the tone, which they ought to be for the big price difference. The difference in quality is dramatic. Click this link to go to another page on this site to get some great information on this guitar. Korean Wolf. Peavey uses a 4A grade flame for their tops. The Korean EXP is a 5A quilt. Again, it really isn't a "top" but it sure looks nice."

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I've had both the OLP and the Korean Wolfgang. The Wolfgang is a much better guitar in my opinion. The OLP feels cheap and the neck is very unstable. One day it is fine, the next day it is buzzing and the action is off. This is on mine anyway, I'm sure there are good ones too. Remember also, the OLPs were selling new for under $200. I bought the Korean Wolfgang when they first came out and have never had a single issue with it. It doesnt feel "cheap". It's a very solid guitar for the $500 range. Yes, the Floyd is the cast metal and the quilt top is a thin veneer. But I can beat the shit out of the thing and it stays in perfect tune. It does take a beating on this board. To each his own. Pick one up and play it and decide for yourself if you like it. That's really the deciding factor.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Stay away from the Korean Wolfgang and the OLP. Buy a USA solid finish Wolfgang Special. You can get one for a great price right now on eBay, and the only thing they're lacking in comparison to their USA counterparts is aesthetics. They have the same pups, electronics, and hardware (sans tuners, but their tuners are still excellent).

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Buy a USA solid finish Wolfgang Special. You can get one for a great price right now on eBay, and the only thing they're lacking in comparison to their USA counterparts is aesthetics. They have the same pups, electronics, and hardware (sans tuners, but their tuners are still excellent).
    Can't argue much with that. Ironically I paid quite a bit more for my Korean when it came out than I did for my USA Special used (in mint condition w/ case). I still play 'em both about the same though. Actually I'm on a real Fender Strat kick for a while now, so the Wolfies haven't seen much action lately.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright!!!!! I scored a USA amber flame top on e-bay for under $700.00!!!!! I'll post pics as soon as I get it!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!

Last Online

10.25.13 @ 11:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question: I was under the impression that the USA Specials (with the flat top) were not available with a quilt top. If you wanted this look, you had to either get the Standards, with the carved/arched top, or go for the Korean/Veneer top. At least this was the case for a while. Did something change? I was just checking out ebay and there are tons of guitars that claim to be US made, but have the quilt top. I know you have to be careful on ebay - I also saw someone advertising a "mint, 2010 EVH Wolfgang". Really? Made in 2010?!!
    "what's that sign say?"
    "no fighting"
    "what's that mean?"
    "no fighting"

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I'm sure I've seen Ebay sellers in the past with Korean-made Wolfgangs where they conveniently left out the country of origin, implying it was a USA model. There are certainly people who may not know any better and would buy that guitar at a USA Wolfgang price.

And there is the new EVH/Fender Wolfgang- they have been up for sale on Ebay already. You know he's now with Fender, right? This is for the Wolfgang guitars and the 5150 amps.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts