Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Wet sanding a guitar

Hey guys,

Did a search on this before posting, but couldn't really find anything. If this exists, AT you can delete this thread (sorry to waste your time if it does exist, I just couldn't find it).

I'd like to get your opinions\techniques on this. Here's why:

I'm refinishing a guitar for a friend (it was formerly a guitar of a deceased friend who we both use to "garage-band-it" with). There was some pretty significant damage and it took me quite a while to get the body straight (one because of the damage and two, because some of the areas of the body were uneven from the factory - cheaper Yamaha from the mid-80s). I just put color on this. I'm using Dupli-Color Paint Shop (which from the results, I won't use again). I am needing to wet sand this because of the heavy orange peel (I've read on line that multiple people have had this problem regardless of what they were painting with this product). I was going to wait to wet sand it until after I put the clear on, but it is so rough right now, I'm afraid of what it will look like if I don't color sand before clearing (then I'm sure I'll have to sand the clear several times as well).

Here is why I'm asking you what you do. I've wet sanded one other guitar about 8 years ago (I've wet sanded a handful of cars, so I'm no stranger to the process). I did not "emerse" the guitar in water or anything like that. However, some water got into some of the drill holes\screw holes. The body swelled and made the finish crack, so I had to start all over. I've looked at several threads on the net. I've seen people say wet sand with water and you are okay. I've seen people say use mineral spirits. I've seen people say just sand and don't wet sand (I'd almost be afraid to do this). And I've seen people say that Stew Mac has a solvent that people use for this on laquer finishes (of which the Dupli-Color Paint Shop I used is laquer based). I sent Stew Mac a question about this. I even watched some video on YouTube of a guy doing a 5150 clone showing how he sanded the clear to get rid of the stripe ridges (beautiful job, and he just sanded with water).

What do you guys do?

Thanks in advance, everybody!

Coke

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

personally, I put on a sealer.

wet sand paint and clear coat

I am not sure how you could possible get a glass like finish without wet sanding the paint layer. but others know alot more than me, im still new at it.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I am by no means an expert on this, but I've had good experiences wet sanding finishes with a mix of alcohol and water. I actually use alcohol (regular isopropyl alcohol you by at the drug store) for mixing dyes also; since it dries fast it seems to help avoid the over-saturated thing that can lead to wood swelling. Also, you don't need to douse water all over the body--just keep the sandpaper and finish wet so you aren't "scraping" the finish while sanding. Regular drying with a cloth or towel helps also.

As far as the screw holes go, I'd seal them up as part of the re-finish.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    I am by no means an expert on this, but I've had good experiences wet sanding finishes with a mix of alcohol and water. I actually use alcohol (regular isopropyl alcohol you by at the drug store) for mixing dyes also; since it dries fast it seems to help avoid the over-saturated thing that can lead to wood swelling. Also, you don't need to douse water all over the body--just keep the sandpaper and finish wet so you aren't "scraping" the finish while sanding. Regular drying with a cloth or towel helps also.

As far as the screw holes go, I'd seal them up as part of the re-finish.
    Yeah, Andrew. That's what I use in staining. The process is called NGR dye, or non-grain raising dye. I've never used iso for rubbing out finishes though. That's something I should try. It should be alright with most acrylic lacquers as their an acetone base, so no issue of dulling the gloss. Would'nt risk it on nitro, as there is a pretty high content of alcohol. Cool idea.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 04.12.10 at 09:11 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Yeah, Andrew. That's what I use in staining. The process is called NGR dye, or non-grain raising dye. I've never used iso for rubbing out finishes though. That's something I should try. It should be alright with most acrylic lacquers as their an acetone base, so no issue of dulling the gloss. Would'nt risk it on nitro, as there is a pretty high content of alcohol. Cool idea.
    Good to know about the nitro, dude!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Good to know about the nitro, dude!
    Thanks man. It's not the gospel truth, but if you read the material data sheets in most nitro finishes, there's at least two kinds of alcohol...one being a carrier agent, and others are for the flowout, so it's definately alcohol soluable. There's acetone in them too, along with butane. All kinds of great stuff. I actually gave up on the nitro refinish I was doing on a guitar....I had a thread running on it's progress, but the last guy who painted it had a succession of finishes on it including enamel. it would'nt be bad had he not gone down past the sealer, but the wood, even with countless applications of strippers and thinners just absorbed to much contaminant to be practical for a true nitro finish without sanding alot of wood off for a clean surface to the point where it does'nt react in a weird way, and still be an easy guitar to set up. I was getting areas of no cure at all, lack of adhesion, and other areas where blisters developed. So Duplicolor it is.
    It'll still look very cool.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.