Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,420
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Likes
    18
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

    Default The "Blue Franky" Performs

    Yes, yes, I realize that this little video posting extravaganza of mine is getting old very fast, but bear with me for one more quick one featuring the "Blue Franky" featuring the EVH Frankenstein pick-up and a titanium block on the Floyd...
    WGAF?!!

  2. #2
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    11.18.08
    Age
    43
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    176
    Favorite VH Album

    Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Young & Wild
    Last Online

    10.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Likes
    338
    Liked 61 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    I'm no guitar aficionado but, just like the Unchained & the Rasta, looks great & sounds great!

  3. #3
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,686
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Likes
    1,263
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

    Default

    They all look fucking sweet and sound great. But I think the Unchained guitar sounds the best tonewise. At least for me.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  4. #4
    Eruption
    Join Date
    06.19.07
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    764
    Last Online

    07.18.17 @ 01:14 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I like the other guitars that have my necks on them.
    Just kidding...
    I do like that blue. What color of blue is that?
    Divebomb, Inc.
    Authorized Floyd Rose Dealer
    Authorized Seymour Duncan Dealer
    Armor Piercing Guitars, Parts, and Accessories
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

  5. #5
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,420
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Likes
    18
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DivebombInc View Post
    I do like that blue. What color of blue is that?
    Krylon "True Blue".
    WGAF?!!

  6. #6
    Eruption
    Join Date
    06.19.07
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    764
    Last Online

    07.18.17 @ 01:14 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Is it holding up for you? I like that shade of blue.
    Divebomb, Inc.
    Authorized Floyd Rose Dealer
    Authorized Seymour Duncan Dealer
    Armor Piercing Guitars, Parts, and Accessories
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

  7. #7
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DivebombInc View Post
    Is it holding up for you? I like that shade of blue.
    Krylon strangely enough seems to hold up better than alot of reports. Four years ago, when people started complaining about Krylon, I decided to give it a go and experiment a bit. I painted up a couple guitars with it... one with their high gloss glaze clear, and one without because some complained that it seemed like the clear never dried. Well, the one without clear dried very hard, and is as durable as nitro laquer in that it will chip or flake pretty much the same with regular use and abuse.
    The one with clear....totally different story. To this day, you can still gouge into the paint with your thumbnail. it sounds dead, and It's got orange peel that could never be worked either. I painted them identically with about five or six thin coats. I don't know what the difference is in the clear, but it reamains kinda gooey. it still even transfers fabric marks from my jeans if you can beleive it. I still think for consistency through the entire line, Duplicolor is the best choice, but I'd have no qualms about using Krylon again sans the clear for an Eddie style graphic project. If I was gonna do something with a decent replication of a stock guitar, then Duplicolor hands down. I think some of the problems people have with Krylon are because it's so damn easy to work with, there's a false sense of what's really going on. You get virtually no runs even with thicker coats, and it's touch dry properties are very "dry" feeling withing minutes, so this gives the illusion that you can just keep piling up the coats. As with any paint, this is where you'll run into problems. The subsurface is still wet, and the top coats basically float as a dry skin. So as the paint eventually dries thoroughly very slowly, then the top layers will wrinkle and lift. It's easy to just blame the paint, but with paint, time patience and proper prep are the key. Keep it clean. Keep the coats thin, and don't rush.
    I'm a convert.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  8. #8
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,686
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Likes
    1,263
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

    Default

    I did my B/W Frankie and my 5150 (at least 4 1/2 years ago now) with Krylon and the paint has been fine. If you're patient, there should be no issues. Obviously you're not going to get a factory finish with it, but if you're doing the VH thing, it works great.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  9. #9
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,420
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Likes
    18
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DivebombInc View Post
    Is it holding up for you? I like that shade of blue.
    I'll put it to this way, Kyle: I've never had ANY issues with Krylon... and I can speak with some authority on the subject because I've literally been using it since 1981!
    WGAF?!!

  10. #10
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,420
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Likes
    18
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Krylon strangely enough seems to hold up better than alot of reports. Four years ago, when people started complaining about Krylon, I decided to give it a go and experiment a bit. I painted up a couple guitars with it... one with their high gloss glaze clear, and one without because some complained that it seemed like the clear never dried. Well, the one without clear dried very hard, and is as durable as nitro laquer in that it will chip or flake pretty much the same with regular use and abuse.
    The one with clear....totally different story. To this day, you can still gouge into the paint with your thumbnail. it sounds dead, and It's got orange peel that could never be worked either. I painted them identically with about five or six thin coats. I don't know what the difference is in the clear, but it reamains kinda gooey. it still even transfers fabric marks from my jeans if you can beleive it. I still think for consistency through the entire line, Duplicolor is the best choice, but I'd have no qualms about using Krylon again sans the clear for an Eddie style graphic project. If I was gonna do something with a decent replication of a stock guitar, then Duplicolor hands down. I think some of the problems people have with Krylon are because it's so damn easy to work with, there's a false sense of what's really going on. You get virtually no runs even with thicker coats, and it's touch dry properties are very "dry" feeling withing minutes, so this gives the illusion that you can just keep piling up the coats. As with any paint, this is where you'll run into problems. The subsurface is still wet, and the top coats basically float as a dry skin. So as the paint eventually dries thoroughly very slowly, then the top layers will wrinkle and lift. It's easy to just blame the paint, but with paint, time patience and proper prep are the key. Keep it clean. Keep the coats thin, and don't rush.
    I'm a convert.
    I agree with this post.
    WGAF?!!

  11. #11
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,420
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Likes
    18
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I did my B/W Frankie and my 5150 (at least 4 1/2 years ago now) with Krylon and the paint has been fine. If you're patient, there should be no issues. Obviously you're not going to get a factory finish with it, but if you're doing the VH thing, it works great.
    And with this one.
    WGAF?!!

  12. #12
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Yeah Jimi...I've been quite happy honestly. I think the issues I had were with their more recent clear finishes. At one time, the stuff dried great, but as I said, no matter how thin I applied the coats, or duration of time between, it just never got the full cure like the solid colors. You can literally dig in to the clear with your thumbnail, and gouge off the clear in strips. it just seems to stay gummy, but those solid colour dry quite hard like a regular nitro lacquer in about as much time....roughly three months. Jimi...have you had any experience with their clear finishes? I'm wondering if it's just the specific one I used. It's called their Ultra Gloss Clear Glaze for Wood and Metal. I'd use it again on an Eddified project for sure. I'm currently doing an old ash body I built with Duplicolor Metallic red that's real close to the old Kramer color, so I'm real jazzed about getting it done. I scored an older JB too through NJAMS in Vancouver. Sounds real good in another ash Strat I have, so it should be a great fit.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. "Master-built" B&W Franky replica coming?
    By AsIs in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 02.22.15, 07:09 AM
  2. Musikraft now offers "Franky" neck
    By ME100472 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06.04.09, 02:46 AM
  3. Exotic Dancer (Ahem...) "entertains" client, then performs CPR as he passes out...
    By chefcraig in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08.04.07, 06:00 AM
  4. LP Tribute Clip..."Blue Suede Shoes"
    By abcrazy1 in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05.26.05, 02:21 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06.02.01, 07:16 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •