Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Default Is there a way to tell

Okay there is not a bunch of sharper VH guitar minds on the web then we have here and I have a question.

A friend of mine picked up a red first year quilt and stopped by the store to show everyone. It is a beautiful guitar with a nice top and he bought it for a great price from a guy who collects them. The thing is the price was a little to good, I know how to play a guitar but dont think I even took a pick guard off in my life. In that department I am like tits on a bull.lol

I have 2 original year quilts and the thing is this guitar tone wise sounds nothing like a first year. I have the feeling he has EXP pups in the guitar and that is why the guy unloaded it so cheap.

My question is -is there anyway of knowing if the pups are from an EXP. The guy he bought it from said at one time he put different pups in it but had put the originals back in a few years back but I think he is full of shit as I have a good fucking ear. I would appreciate what anyone could say on this matter. Thanks guys.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

10.29.13 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had a few sets of the EXP pickups. Visually, I believe they are the same. They had grey leads. That was one of the selling points of the EXP, the pickups were supposed to be the same as the usa.

I do know that they used foam on the back of the pickups because the EXP pickup cavity's were routed deeper so they glued foam to the back of the pickup to give it height. There may be some glue/foam still on the back of the pickup.

Pull off the throw switch plate and measure them against the ones you have. They wont be exact, but they should be in the ballpark. Like I said in earlier posts, it seems like guys have had a field day with parting out the Wolf's. If I made mods I kept the original parts for resale purposes.

I personally can always tell if the guitar has been dicked with. Go with your gut, you have your internal guidance system for a reason!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks for the info Mike as I am going to borrow it from him and have my tech check it out. Either way he would not part with it as he has been waiting years to land one. I just want to let the guy who sold it that I know what the fuck he did as he is just one of those smart asses that rub me the wrong way.

My friend is in his glory and just wants to play out with it. On the other hand if it was me it would be a totally different story. Especially on a guitar like that, as to be honest my EBMM EVHs or Peavey quilts or CS guitars are more or less left in the house to play as they are just to hard to come by. I have plenty of players to beat up.