Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

01.22.16 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Default Black White Frankie Question

When I logged on today their was a pic on the main page that showed a black and white frankie with a rosewood neck and no pickguard. Does anyone have any other pics of this guitar or Know when this guitar was around. The neck really threw me off.

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was probably the one with the white pickguard, no?

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

It might have been. On the picture I saw it was hard to tell.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crhfish View Post
    It might have been. On the picture I saw it was hard to tell.
    This "transition phase" version version of the Franky was short-lived...

Tired and pissed of everyone copying his design, sometime after the end of the first tour, Ed decided to change the appearance of the Black and White Franky...

...he took off the black pick-guard, peeled off the pin stripes, added a Telecaster pick-up to the middle position, threw on a white pick-guard and, of course, installed a rosewood neck.

But he wasn't done yet... he then decided to stripe it up again and repaint it red in an effort to further deter people from copying his design...

...from this point, the Franky underwent an endless series of hardware and neck changes.
    WGAF?!!

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks, I missed that one over the years somehow. Thinking of doing a project on one of the lessor known guitars. Can't make up my mind.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by crhfish View Post
    Thanks, I missed that one over the years somehow. Thinking of doing a project on one of the lessor known guitars. Can't make up my mind.
    Well, that version certainly qualifies!
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    ...from this point, the Franky underwent an endless series of hardware and neck changes.
    Jimi, do you know where this black strat (circled) with rosewood fretboard ended up?

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    Jimi, do you know where this black strat (circled) with rosewood fretboard ended up?

Probably hanging up in the room above 5150 studios with the rest of his unplayed guitars.
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Probably hanging up in the room above 5150 studios with the rest of his unplayed guitars.
    Could this black strat be the "one" that others believe to be the b&W/Frankenstrat? This pic would debunk that theory...correct?

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    Could this black strat be the "one" that others believe to be the b&W/Frankenstrat? This pic would debunk that theory...correct?
    Oh man, that is a real can of worms to open up... I don't know if I really want to get into it now, but I've recently been made aware about some information concerning that mystery Black Strat...

... and the Sunburst Strat...

...it's information that I didn't believe at first, but it looks like I may have the proof soon... stay tuned.
    WGAF?!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ya know what Jimi, I think I may actually be onto the same thing you are onto this time... looking at those pictures again has jarred my memory of a theory I had about 2 years ago.

I'm not gonna post any conspiracy theories here though... ... since I have no proof.

I look forward to hearing your proof/explanation/theory etc. about those guitars.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Ya know what Jimi, I think I may actually be onto the same thing you are onto this time... looking at those pictures again has jarred my memory of a theory I had about 2 years ago.

I'm not gonna post any conspiracy theories here though... ... since I have no proof.

I look forward to hearing your proof/explanation/theory etc. about those guitars.
    Trust me, this potential proof is like the EVH guitar history equivalent of the disclosing the identity of the puported "shooter in the Grassy Knoll"!
    WGAF?!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trust me, this potential proof is like the EVH guitar history equivalent of the disclosing the identity of the puported "shooter in the Grassy Knoll"!
    Ya man, I bet!

Like I said, that would be fantastic to have the proof, and we'll see if I was on the right track!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

How long do you think it will be before you have the info? I just saw this thread. Now I'm more than curious. One friend of mine said that he had heard he painted the sunburt one black. I just don't know anymore. Not like Ed would even know anymore given his recent recollection that the Franky was originally a twelve string purchased at Radio Shack that he took 6 string off of. Yeeeahhh, dig a bit deeper in the ol' grey matter there Edward.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 04.07.10 at 02:26 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

Default rambling questions

I find this unusually interesting, too. When do you think the above pics of the black/white Frankenstein (that seem to show EVH in a concert setting with DLR) were taken? The black vest he's wearing seems to indicate it's on the 79 tour, but I always thought he added the red between the end of the first tour and the start of the second tour. The red/black/white Frankenstein was definitely used on the 79 tour, so maybe he added the red on a break between tour legs? And when were the pics of him with the black Strat taken - 75, 76 or 77?
    I know it's been discussed here before that the black Strat with the rosewood neck actually may have been used on VH1 and eventually taped and painted white and became the Frankenstein. Not sure I've seen any proof of that. EVH has stated that he bought the Frankenstein ash body from Ellsworth in 75 and that it was unfinished. Did he buy the neck at the same time from Ellsworth? If not, did he paint the body black and add a rosewood Strat neck and play that for some time?
    If he truly bought the ash body in 75, certainly he was using it in 76 and 77 before the first album and tour began. What are the earliest known pics of the black/white Frankenstein - with the maple neck? Any before the first album/tour? If not, maybe it didn't exist yet with that paint job. So maybe the black one was the Frankenstein body and he added the white right before that tour? Dating these photos would help.
    In a perfect world, I'd like to ask him, but he may not even remember. It would be nice if Guitar World asked gear questions like this every now and then, but it's a little abstract and he's too busy selling his gear...