Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default President Hamid Karzai, reportedly is threatening to align with the Taliban...

The Obama administration once again is troubled and "frustrated" by Afghan President Hamid Karzai, who reportedly is threatening to align with the Taliban while accusing the United States of meddling in his country's affairs.

"The remarks are troubling and the substance of the remarks are simply not true," White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said Monday.

President Obama's top spokesman suggested the trouble with Karzai could endanger U.S. military operations in the country. He was reacting to comments Karzai made Saturday during a private meeting with Afghan lawmakers. They came after Karzai and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton tried to patch things up Friday following a similar outburst earlier in the week in which he accused Western governments of sabotaging his election.

"I said it was troubling on Friday. Obviously, it didn't get any better," Gibbs said.

The latest spat between the two administrations came as American-led forces in Kabul admitted to killing three Afghan women during a February raid -- after NATO initially claimed the three women were found "tied up, gagged and killed" when the Special Operations team got there. The International Security Assistance Force now says the team "accidentally killed" the three women while firing on two men who appeared "hostile," though were later determined not to be insurgents. The men were also killed -- NATO now says it appears the men were merely trying to protect their families.

"The men were not the targets of the operation, but were armed and displayed hostile intent. All regrettable," Rear Adm. Greg Smith, the top military spokesman in Kabul, told Fox News. "That said, there is absolutely no evidence that the forces covered anything up."

A NATO statement said it was initially concluded that the women were killed because of a misunderstanding of "Islamic burial customs," an apparent reference to the condition in which the women were found.

But The New York Times reported Monday that officials have offered conflicting accounts of whether there was evidence of "tampering" at the scene. One official said there were signs of bullets removed from the walls nearby. Another report from The Times of London said Afghan investigators found the team dug bullets out of the bodies of the women.

Any hint of a cover-up could embolden Karzai at a time when he's trying to flex his independence and portray Western governments as detrimental to his country.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Karzai on Saturday told local officials that the Taliban could gain strength if the United States doesn't stop meddling and even suggested he would join with them if his government doesn't support him in taking control of the United Nation's election watchdog in his country.

That meeting came just one day after the Afghan president called Clinton to clarify his controversial comments from earlier in the week. A senior State Department official told Fox News at the time that the two "reached a good understanding regarding his comments" and were focused on "moving ahead."

Gibbs said Monday that he doesn't "put a lot of stake into everything that he said," and that the White House is still focusing on working with the Karzai administration.

He said the meeting between Obama and Karzai set for May 12 in Washington is still on the schedule.
    Last edited by Down In Flames; 04.05.10 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Clarifying the president in the thread title. Obama's rep is bad enough as it is. ;) - DIF
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Fuck them! I say pull out and.........................................

'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

The latest spat between the two administrations came as American-led forces in Kabul admitted to killing three Afghan women during a February raid -- after NATO initially claimed the three women were found "tied up, gagged and killed" when the Special Operations team got there. The International Security Assistance Force now says the team "accidentally killed" the three women while firing on two men who appeared "hostile," though were later determined not to be insurgents. The men were also killed -- NATO now says it appears the men were merely trying to protect their families.

"The men were not the targets of the operation, but were armed and displayed hostile intent. All regrettable," Rear Adm. Greg Smith, the top military spokesman in Kabul, told Fox News. "That said, there is absolutely no evidence that the forces covered anything up."

A NATO statement said it was initially concluded that the women were killed because of a misunderstanding of "Islamic burial customs," an apparent reference to the condition in which the women were found.

But The New York Times reported Monday that officials have offered conflicting accounts of whether there was evidence of "tampering" at the scene. One official said there were signs of bullets removed from the walls nearby. Another report from The Times of London said Afghan investigators found the team dug bullets out of the bodies of the women.

Any hint of a cover-up could embolden Karzai at a time when he's trying to flex his independence and portray Western governments as detrimental to his country.
    This sort of thing, even giving the soldiers the benefit of the doubt, is simply unavoidable in this kind of war environment.

Obviously the days of uniformed soldiers fighting it out in designated battlefields are long gone. Now the enemy could be a woman, a child, an old man.

Yes plenty of US soldiers fail to live up to the honour, nobility and strength of character they're expected to and rape and murder and torture innocent people for a host of reasons but even that aside, innocents will die anytime enemy combatants are living and fighting among the civilians.

My brother-in-law hasn't shared a ton of specific stories from his 5 times out there but he has told me about times where they were in the shit, bullets flying everywhere, bombs going off, men and young children firing on them and he needing to lace a target for the figher planes coming in. He's told me "yeah, it's terrible, it's awful and I don't think about it but in those moments I'm lacing as big a target as need be to ensure me and the guy next to me and the guy next to him and so forth get out of there. Yes innocents have died but there's not a lot I can do about it."

Him telling me that stuff was really pretty compelling stuff.

It's a real shame, especially when the deaths are exploited to engender support for the very movement our soldiers are trying to control and even erase.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 798 Times in 383 Posts

Premium Member

Those fuckers could be a little more appreciative that we chose their country to invade. Ungrateful bastards.

Don't forget what happens to presidents that don't cooperate Karzai.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    This sort of thing, even giving the soldiers the benefit of the doubt, is simply unavoidable in this kind of war environment.

Obviously the days of uniformed soldiers fighting it out in designated battlefields are long gone. Now the enemy could be a woman, a child, an old man.

Yes plenty of US soldiers fail to live up to the honour, nobility and strength of character they're expected to and rape and murder and torture innocent people for a host of reasons but even that aside, innocents will die anytime enemy combatants are living and fighting among the civilians.

My brother-in-law hasn't shared a ton of specific stories from his 5 times out there but he has told me about times where they were in the shit, bullets flying everywhere, bombs going off, men and young children firing on them and he needing to lace a target for the figher planes coming in. He's told me "yeah, it's terrible, it's awful and I don't think about it but in those moments I'm lacing as big a target as need be to ensure me and the guy next to me and the guy next to him and so forth get out of there. Yes innocents have died but there's not a lot I can do about it."

Him telling me that stuff was really pretty compelling stuff.

It's a real shame, especially when the deaths are exploited to engender support for the very movement our soldiers are trying to control and even erase.
    exactly....i'm gonna share something now that only my family and fellow soldiers know.
    back in 2006 we were on patrol in the green zone around Helmand province, which at the time was perhaps the most dangerous place in the world, we came under fire from several different positions from various compounds and a mortar position over a ridge line. For about 5-6minutes we were pinned down and quite literally in deep shit. I looked over and saw a guy on top of a compound, he was unarmed and talking into a mobile phone....he was what we called a 'dicker', basically he was calling out our position to either the guys in the comounds or the mortar teams, to cut a long story short...i shot him...dead. within 5 minutes of me doing this the mortar fire got less accurate and we were able to move into a better deffended position and eventually force back the engagement. after we secured the area i led a squad up to the compound where the guy was, when i got there i found i had shot a guy that couldn't have been older than 16, quite possibly younger.
    to say i was mortified was an understatement, but after a while i came to realise that by killing that one person we avoided (possibly) far more death weather it was my own men or Taliban/insurgents or colateral civilain lives, because we were moments from calling in fast air....it simply had to be done, i'm not proud, but it doesnt keep me awake at night anymore.

my feelings on the article as a whole, Karzai is trying to play hardball and call everyones bluff, he had his election fixed, he's gonna loose power one way or another and he's throwing his toys out of the pram to try and wriggle out of it, the Taliban would hang him and his family from the nearest tree before aligning themselves with him.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    exactly....i'm gonna share something now that only my family and fellow soldiers know.
    back in 2006 we were on patrol in the green zone around Helmand province, which at the time was perhaps the most dangerous place in the world, we came under fire from several different positions from various compounds and a mortar position over a ridge line. For about 5-6minutes we were pinned down and quite literally in deep shit. I looked over and saw a guy on top of a compound, he was unarmed and talking into a mobile phone....he was what we called a 'dicker', basically he was calling out our position to either the guys in the comounds or the mortar teams, to cut a long story short...i shot him...dead. within 5 minutes of me doing this the mortar fire got less accurate and we were able to move into a better deffended position and eventually force back the engagement. after we secured the area i led a squad up to the compound where the guy was, when i got there i found i had shot a guy that couldn't have been older than 16, quite possibly younger.
    to say i was mortified was an understatement, but after a while i came to realise that by killing that one person we avoided (possibly) far more death weather it was my own men or Taliban/insurgents or colateral civilain lives, because we were moments from calling in fast air....it simply had to be done, i'm not proud, but it doesnt keep me awake at night anymore.
    wow brother...that's really heavy duty. Seriously. I'm glad to hear that it's not holding you down though.

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    my feelings on the article as a whole, Karzai is trying to play hardball and call everyones bluff, he had his election fixed, he's gonna loose power one way or another and he's throwing his toys out of the pram to try and wriggle out of it, the Taliban would hang him and his family from the nearest tree before aligning themselves with him.
    I'm finding it hard to believe that this Karzai feller has any real cred. Like you, I have a hard time believing the Taliban would do anything less than hang him from a tree and throw a party.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I'm finding it hard to believe that this Karzai feller has any real cred. Like you, I have a hard time believing the Taliban would do anything less than hang him from a tree and throw a party.
    they'd probably torture his family infront of him first too!
    most of the shuras i ever sat in on, the village elders and people we suspected to be Talib have no respect for the guy. i will also say that some of the guys we trained and went on patrol with from the A.N.A. were some of the bravest people on the face of this planet, they do not deserve what will happen to them (and their families) if Karzai changes sides.

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k.
    Favorite VH Song

cant get this stuff no more
    Last Online

02.02.14 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

when are we gonna learn that we (USA) cant trust any of those fucks in the middle east! remember the CIA training them assholes back in the day to fight against the russians?? guess what? they did and now its us they fight against! seems to me everylast one of those assholes we tried at one point or another to help have stabbed us in the back! FUCK EM ALL!!! I HATE THEM ALL!! damn now i feel like young anakin skywalker! LOL well im at it, how them motherfuckers live in mud houses overthere and then come over here and open gas stations and carryouts ill never know. and from what i understand do it tax free?? damn

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by adamvhcornell View Post
    when are we gonna learn that we (USA) cant trust any of those fucks in the middle east! remember the CIA training them assholes back in the day to fight against the russians?? guess what? they did and now its us they fight against! seems to me everylast one of those assholes we tried at one point or another to help have stabbed us in the back! FUCK EM ALL!!! I HATE THEM ALL!! damn now i feel like young anakin skywalker! LOL well im at it, how them motherfuckers live in mud houses overthere and then come over here and open gas stations and carryouts ill never know. and from what i understand do it tax free?? damn
    only 'really' partly correct
    you are thinking of the Mujahideen, which were secretly funded by the C.I.A. for the most part whats left of them are very noble people living a simple and peaceful life. the Taliban came about after the Russians pulled out. The story goes something like this...

after the Russians pulled out, Afganistan suffered with civil wars and power struggles. one particular warlord had kidnapped 2 young girls and raped them, Omar Muhammad (later known as Mullah Omar Muhammed) had heard about it and raised 30 'talib' (talib is arabic for student) with aparently olny 16 rifles between them, they attacked the warlords compound and eventually won, they set the girls free and hung the warlord and his men from barrels of tanks and slowly raised them. the Taliban are predominantly Sunni Muslims from Pashtun tribes.

there are many other tribes in that country, many want peace and democracy as well as a more modern way of life. with Karzai rigging elections, they have no chance of democracy and with the Taliban they have no chance at a modern peaceful life or democracy