Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Apology

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

Default My Apology

Mr. Anthony,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to you. I have just listened to CFI again for the millionth time. For all these years I thought you were a completely replaceable part in a band that was other-worldly talented. I always thought that VH could at any moment grab a homeless guy off the street, call them their bass player and they would be just as good. I was working on the assumption that the magnitude of the talent of the bros. was enough to carry the band regardless of the other players. I was wrong.

Perhaps I was seduced by the amazing guitar and drums (and they are amazing - other worldly amazing) and was also okay with your playing being shackled and the bass being turned way down in the mix because the sheer virtuosity of the other players was enough to pacify me. I always considered you an interchangeable part VH, but now I realize that you were done a grave injustice all these years. You were under-appreciated by fans like me and more importantly by the people in your own band.

You have chops my friend, and watching (listening) to you flourish in CF has made me realize that I have gravely underestimated you lo these many years.

Cheers Michael Anthony. You truly are a CLASS ACT and hell of a bass player.

Sincerely,

Wrong all these years
    Anonymous for fear of fatwa

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Well said, brownnation. I'm glad you now see what some of us have known for years. Will all due respect to Wolfie, Mike should still be in the band. Although, who knows if they would be doing anything so I'm glad Mike is in CF.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

Brown

Make sure you check out the Turnin' Left video in the Chickenfoot Youtube section which really shows off his abilities. Between his bass playing and vocals, he's incredible.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

He's a damn good bass player to be true...no way around it.

That said, I never listened to VH and thought "jeez...Mike sounds really limited or shackled."

In fact, it wasn't until he left the group that I began hearing this idea.

I've always thought he was a pretty groovy bass player that knew how to play within the context of the song.

In listening to Chickenfoot I don't think "damn, the guy's leash is finally off!" I just hear him playing within the context of those songs.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    He's a damn good bass player to be true...no way around it.

That said, I never listened to VH and thought "jeez...Mike sounds really limited or shackled."

In fact, it wasn't until he left the group that I began hearing this idea.

I've always thought he was a pretty groovy bass player that knew how to play within the context of the song.

In listening to Chickenfoot I don't think "damn, the guy's leash is finally off!" I just hear him playing within the context of those songs.
    I think the bass is good in the mix in the early days with Roth and then they almost completely dropped him for half the songs from 5150 on. At least that's the way I've always heard it. As a matter of fact me and my buddy always had an ongoing joke about MA in the Hagar years that Eddie got behind the console and had a button that said "Alex and Eddie" and it was cranked and much tinier button that said "MA" that barely made the needle move. There are seriously some tunes from that era that I have to struggle to pick out the bass line.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by brownnation View Post
    I think the bass is good in the mix in the early days with Roth and then they almost completely dropped him for half the songs from 5150 on. At least that's the way I've always heard it. As a matter of fact me and my buddy always had an ongoing joke about MA in the Hagar years that Eddie got behind the console and had a button that said "Alex and Eddie" and it was cranked and much tinier button that said "MA" that barely made the needle move. There are seriously some tunes from that era that I have to struggle to pick out the bass line.
    yeah but I think that has more to do with the mix than it does with limiting his bass parts to rudimentary bits which has been suggested time and time again since Mike was ousted.

The production on Chickenfoot is absolutely stellar. It's one of the best sounding records I've heard in a long time. They really outdid themselves and his talent and ability is certainly on display. His parts are very melodic and meaty all at the same time.

OU812 and 5150 sound like crap...all the way around. I don't like Ed's guitar, Mike's bass or Al's drums but FUCK and Balance sound great.

Mike's parts just never sounded neglected buried or limited to me on VH.

I honestly think a lot of that sentiment is born of the "fuck 'em Mike, who needs Van Halen!?" overcompensation routine.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:28 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

I've always been very disappointed in the mixing of OU812 and have been wishing for a long time that it would be remastered. Many of those songs would sound 1000% better- particularly Mike's parts.

Last Online

yeah but I think that has more to do with the mix than it does with limiting his bass parts to rudimentary bits which has been suggested time and time again since Mike was ousted.

The production on Chickenfoot is absolutely stellar. It's one of the best sounding records I've heard in a long time. They really outdid themselves and his talent and ability is certainly on display. His parts are very melodic and meaty all at the same time.

OU812 and 5150 sound like crap...all the way around. I don't like Ed's guitar, Mike's bass or Al's drums but FUCK and Balance sound great.

Mike's parts just never sounded neglected buried or limited to me on VH.

I honestly think a lot of that sentiment is born of the "fuck 'em Mike, who needs Van Halen!?" overcompensation routine.
    Yeah, that's what I said in my initial post. I also said he was shackled which is obviously an arguable point, but I made them as separate things. Do you think it was an accident that he was buried in the mix? It's not like it could have just been a mistake - they rush out to get the CD/tape/record in the store and throw it in the box and go "Oh, crap, we really mixed this poorly".

Everyone involved with producing/mixing those records were absolute pros and the only reason the bass would be so low in the mix is because someone (not saying who) decided that it would be so.

Wasn't there actually an interview I read with one of the engineers that admitted that they did a disservice to the bass? Anyone remember that or am I making that up?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Wasn't there actually an interview I read with one of the engineers that admitted that they did a disservice to the bass? Anyone remember that or am I making that up?
    That would be Donn Landee

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, that's what I said in my initial post. I also said he was shackled which is obviously an arguable point, but I made them as separate things. Do you think it was an accident that he was buried in the mix? It's not like it could have just been a mistake - they rush out to get the CD/tape/record in the store and throw it in the box and go "Oh, crap, we really mixed this poorly".

Everyone involved with producing/mixing those records were absolute pros and the only reason the bass would be so low in the mix is because someone (not saying who) decided that it would be so.

so is it your contention that the bass was purposefully buried because of some personal vendetta against Mike Anthony or lack of respect/appreciation?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

so is it your contention that the bass was purposefully buried because of some personal vendetta against Mike Anthony or lack of respect/appreciation?
    My only contention is that it was a purposeful decision to mix the bass low. Why was that decision made? I can only speculate. Knowing the history of EVH and hearing him in interviews over the years he has leaked passive aggressive disdain for MA as a bass player going very far back in VH's history. That coupled with the fact that when EVH finally got his way on VHIII he didn't even want the guy on the record.

To me, these hints add up to a distinct possibility that the bass was purposely mixed low because a preference Eddie has. He and his brother have also said many times that most bands the rhythm section of a band is the bass player and drummer, but in VH it is the guitar player and drummer.

So, yes, all this leads me to believe that Eddie probably thought that burying the bass would be a personal preference of his to showcase the "real" rhythm section of the band. Not to sabotage the sound of VH or out of spite or anything, but just because in his way, that's the way he heard VH. Again, speculation, but speculation based on some heavy clues over the years. To me, the guy seems to act upon things like a teenager and has always had this weird passive-aggressive thing going on, and I think his disrespect for MA as a musical peer could definitely manifest itself in some mixing decisions on the albums.

I don't think it is a secret to most VH fans that Eddie has seen MA as an expendable part of the band pretty much from the beginning. See the Billy Sheehan interview, read other interviews with Eddie back in the day where he's rather dismissive of MA's playing and see VHIII for evidence of this.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 64 Posts

I don't see why mixing the bass low on purpose would get you anywhere. When you make an album in my mind everything should be equally balanced to make the overall record sound good. If the bass is low and you lose bottom end, not only do you do diservice to the bass player but you do diservice to the whole record.

How anyone could go all these years and not relize what a great bass player Mike is and what he brought to VH all these years is beyond me. I'm glad someone has relized his abbilities but come on! The energy, the harmonies, the personality he brought to VH is undeniable. I was devistated when they booted him. They were in IMO the best trio in rock music for a while. It's a real shame that someone had to listen to the chickenfoot album to relize how good he is. Is what it is I guess and I am glad he is happy. he sounds like a great guy.

I was never more proud when I went into a best buy and they had a full sized cardboard cut out of Michael Anthony all by himself! That made me feel really good for him after all the crap he had to go through. He deserves everything he's got!
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My only contention is that it was a purposeful decision to mix the bass low. Why was that decision made? I can only speculate. Knowing the history of EVH and hearing him in interviews over the years he has leaked passive aggressive disdain for MA as a bass player going very far back in VH's history. That coupled with the fact that when EVH finally got his way on VHIII he didn't even want the guy on the record.

To me, these hints add up to a distinct possibility that the bass was purposely mixed low because a preference Eddie has. He and his brother have also said many times that most bands the rhythm section of a band is the bass player and drummer, but in VH it is the guitar player and drummer.

So, yes, all this leads me to believe that Eddie probably thought that burying the bass would be a personal preference of his to showcase the "real" rhythm section of the band. Not to sabotage the sound of VH or out of spite or anything, but just because in his way, that's the way he heard VH. Again, speculation, but speculation based on some heavy clues over the years. To me, the guy seems to act upon things like a teenager and has always had this weird passive-aggressive thing going on, and I think his disrespect for MA as a musical peer could definitely manifest itself in some mixing decisions on the albums.

I don't think it is a secret to most VH fans that Eddie has seen MA as an expendable part of the band pretty much from the beginning. See the Billy Sheehan interview, read other interviews with Eddie back in the day where he's rather dismissive of MA's playing and see VHIII for evidence of this.
    Well, the rhythm section in VH is the guitar and drums...it always was. Before this whole thing with Mike shook out, all us VH fans ever talked about was how unique a pairing Al and Ed are and how they provide the sonic foundation of the band and the interplay between drum and guitar being so different from conventional rock bands.

We also talked about how indispensible Mike was because any other bass player would try to over play or take up too much space in the mix thus creating a very convulted and confused feel. Every VH fan I've ever been around has always heralded Mike for his ability to play within the context of the song in such a way that does not distract from the drum and guitar but actually accentuates...leads the ear towards them at pivotal moments.

Mike Anthony is a certified bad ass.

Perhaps he's low in the mix because it was a convention of the time. Perhaps he's low in the mix because Ed hated his playing. Perhaps he's low in the mix because Ed thought his playing was too good and didn't want people to notice. The fact is, a couple of VH records are mixed pretty poorly. To my ear, the entire records sound cheesy and unpolished with piss-poor production, I'm speaking primarily of OU812 and 5150.

I've been listening to CVH the last few days as well as to 5150 and the difference is stark. The guitars, drums AND bass all sound like shit.

Obviously Mike and Ed had some issues there. For the life of me I have no idea why. Mike Anthony genuinely does strike me as a pretty easy to get along with kind of guy...but who knows? There could be a million reasons why...starting with Ed being a certified loon.

Regardless of all that, I think it's great that you've come to some realization about Mike Anthony being a damn fine bass player. He is.

I just think that, in a lot of cases, some of the adulation coming towards Mike is less "Mike's a badass" and more "Ed's a douche!"

I have a hard time understanding why Mike is ousted and ALL OF THE SUDDEN he's this poor victim taken advantage for an entire career, never allowed to play to his fullest potential and never given proper due when mixing and mastering time arrived.

If this were really the case, we would have been talking about it BEFORE.

Mike's playing always stuck me as pretty bad ass. Van Halen always, I mean ALWAYS, struck me as a band built on the foundation laid by the brothers.

To me that's the recipe for Van Halen:

liberal doses of the brothers
    sprinkled with classy albeit bad ass chest thumping bass grooves
    modest amounts of lead singer's flavour so as not to throw off overall taste

I would like to hear from the class act as to whether or not he had to "hold back" in the studio and if he felt like he couldn't really just relax and play because Ed's fragile ego and paranoia would kick in believing that Mike was trying to steal the limelight.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Wow reading that letter almost made me wish that Edward had written that. I'm glad you realize the true talents of Mr. Anthony.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

I have a cunning plan:
    We know for a fact that Mike reads the Links - he has said so in interviews;

We are all agreed that we would love to hear his version of events and that a book by him would be amazing;

One of the reasons we refer to him as a "class act" is because he refuses to spill the beans;

So, my idea is, if we start to demonise him here on the Links, he'll be forced to write a book in order to re-establish his reputation as a "class act".

So, who's going to slag him off first?