Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:55 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default Nine students charged in bullying death

SOUTH HADLEY - Nine harassing teens accused of charges ranging from stalking to statutory rape in the suicide death of Phoebe Prince face serious jail time, but school officials who failed to stop the brutal bullying walk away scot-free.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...arged_in_death
    Parents in this tiny western Massachusetts town said yesterday it’s a disgrace school officials aren’t being locked up, and one lawmaker wants an investigation.

Yet, Northwestern District Attorney Elizabeth D. Scheibel said South Hadley High School staffers may have left 15-year-old Prince to fend for herself in a teenage jungle, but they broke no laws.

The district attorney did say that, “The actions or inactions of some adults at the school are troublesome.”

She said Prince’s mother spoke to “at least two school staff members” about the bullying and the harassment was “common knowledge” around the school.

Four students and two faculty members tried to intervene, the district attorney said, but it all came to a tragic end Jan. 14 when a pack of enraged teens tormented the Ireland native - and she killed herself.

“A lack of understanding of harassment associated with teen dating relationships seems to have been prevalent at South Hadley High School,” said Scheibel. “That, in turn, brought an inconsistent interpretation in enforcement in the school’s code of conduct when incidents were observed and reported.”

Mitch Brouillard, who said his 17-year-old daughter was attacked in school after coming out against bullying, said he’s “appalled” at the inaction of school officials.

“They should have put a stop to it,” Brouillard said last night as he walked into the town’s anti-bullying task force meeting.

Prince’s sister found Phoebe hanged in a closet wearing the clothes she wore to school.

“Phoebe’s death on Jan. 14 followed a torturous day for her, in which she was subjected to verbal harassment and threatened physical abuse,” Scheibel said.

The district attorney said Prince’s family wants to let the courts, not “vigilantism,” win justice.

Yesterday, nine teens were hit with charges in connection with the case:

• Football player Sean Mulveyhill, 17, of South Hadley was charged with statutory rape, violation of civil rights, harassment and disturbance of a school assembly.

• Austin Renaud, 18, of Springfield was charged with statutory rape.

• Kayla Narey, 17, of South Hadley was charged with violation of civil rights, criminal harassment, and disturbance of a school assembly.

• Ashley Longe, 16, of South Hadley was charged with violation of civil rights as a youthful offender.

• Flannery Mullins, 16, of South Hadley was charged with violation of civil rights and stalking as a youthful offender.

• Sharon Chanon Velazquez, 16, of South Hadley was charged with violation of civil rights and stalking as a youthful offender.

• Three female juveniles, who were not named but are all from South Hadley, are also being charged. Other teens could still be charged, Scheibel said.

“I would hope the South Hadley school system would fully investigate and determine who knew what and when,” said state Rep. John W. Scibak (D-South Hadley).

Gov. Deval Patrick said the criminal charges are “a message that there will be consequences for this kind of behavior. It’s a terrible tragedy and all of us want to see consequences.”
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

this kind of thing is really amazing to me. How is it that we have elementary school kids getting kicked out for making the little gun shape with their hands yet a gang of freak teens can harass and evidently rape a girl until she decides to kill herself?

this kind of bizarro bullshit is what we get when we treat education as such a low priority.

It's an absolute tragedy that such a pretty young lady with nothing but potential had to go through that bullshit.
    Last edited by broken9500; 03.30.10 at 02:01 PM.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    this kind of thing is really amazing to me. How is it that we have elementary school kids getting kicked out for making the little gun shape with their hands yet a gang of freak teens can harass and evidently rape a girl until she decides to kill herself?

this kind of bizarro bullshit is what we get when we treat education as such a low priority.

It's an absolute tragedy that such a pretty young lady with nothing but potential had to go through that bullshit.
    It's amazing that ZERO adults have been charged or fired. How grown supposedly EDUCATED adults chose to ignore this awful situation is beyond me.

Not ONE adult at least tried to stop this?? Unacceptable.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ View Post
    It's amazing that ZERO adults have been charged or fired. How grown supposedly EDUCATED adults chose to ignore this awful situation is beyond me.
    Not ONE adult at least tried to stop this?? Unacceptable.
    but elementary school kids get taken away in handcuffs for writing on their desk and damn you if you're a boy who tries to wear an earring to school. Zero tolerance on that shit!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

2 South Hadley students expelled in Prince probe

South Hadley High School administrators have expelled two students named in bullying indictments yesterday whose alleged antics had gone undetected, officials announced.

“As we continue to review the new information that was released by the district attorney at her press conference on Monday, we have taken disciplinary action with an additional small group of students and they have been removed from the high school,” said Assistant Superintendent Christine Sweklo in a statement. “We continue our ongoing efforts, through our Anti-Bullying Task Force to Promote Civil and Ethical Behavior, to review our policies, programs and procedures.”
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...icleid=1243485

Good start....teachers and administrators should be next. One has to wonder where the teachers union is in all this mess. They sure are vocal when a 8 year old uses his hand as a toy gun..where are they now?

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Two things -

First, if you'll read your own introductory post JC, you'll note that two faculty members tried to intervene. That's not enough, but that's far from "not ONE"...

Second, apparently this whole thing came about around her having relationships with one or two of the guys. While there haven't been details, the implication is the sex was consensual, just under age, meaning 17 year old with under whatever (16?). And supposedly it then turned into the harassment and abuse.

This isn't much different than plenty of situations I saw in HS, except for one HUGE factor - the Internet. I can't imagine the chaos the Internet would have wrought when I was in HS. At least in the 80's, you could go home and pretty much get away from all that crap. You'd even maintain friendships with some of those picking on you, as things changed after school. Now, there's just no escaping it.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    Two things -

First, if you'll read your own introductory post JC, you'll note that two faculty members tried to intervene. That's not enough, but that's far from "not ONE"...

Second, apparently this whole thing came about around her having relationships with one or two of the guys. While there haven't been details, the implication is the sex was consensual, just under age, meaning 17 year old with under whatever (16?). And supposedly it then turned into the harassment and abuse.

This isn't much different than plenty of situations I saw in HS, except for one HUGE factor - the Internet. I can't imagine the chaos the Internet would have wrought when I was in HS. At least in the 80's, you could go home and pretty much get away from all that crap. You'd even maintain friendships with some of those picking on you, as things changed after school. Now, there's just no escaping it.
    excellent points JRK.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

Two things -

Educators could have stopped the torture

Now we know: The adults knew, and did nothing.

They were particularly trusted adults as well: teachers, school administrators and staff trained and paid to care for children in a safe environment.

They did nothing.

How could this be?

It was sickening to realize this during yesterday’s 15-minute press conference by Northwestern District Attorney Elizabeth C. Scheibel: Educators at South Hadley High School could have stopped the torture of Phoebe Prince. They might even have saved her life. Yet they failed to act.

How can any adult just stand by like this? How can a teacher?

Phoebe Prince’s plight “was common knowledge to most of the South Hadley High School student body,” Scheibel said yesterday in that matter-of-fact style typical of prosecutors. But what she detailed was chilling: a relentless, three-month campaign “designed to humiliate her” that went far beyond normal teenage score-setting. And contrary to earlier reports, the primary attacks were not online but on school grounds during school hours.

“Certain faculty, staff and administrators of the high school,” Scheibel said, “were alerted (to the harassment) before her death.”

“Before her death her mother spoke with at least two school staff members about the harassment,” she said.

“At least four students and two faculty members intervened” on Phoebe Prince’s behalf, she said, giving the lone example of those who stood up for Phoebe Prince. The district attorney gave not one example of what the school did to help her.

So here was a young girl from Ireland, new to the school, new to America, new to a high school’s cliques and brutal pecking order. Here she was left on her own against not only the nine teenagers charged yesterday and their enabling friends but also against the adults who ignored her pleas.

The public may wonder, said Scheibel, whether the failure to act “by faculty, staff and administrators . . . amounted to criminal behavior. In our opinion it did not.”

In my opinion, that failure was so monstrous it’s almost incomprehensible. But we now know why Phoebe Prince did not believe her torment would end. She told her mother, who told the school. Yet on the day she died, she was attacked in the library right in front of a teacher. She was attacked again in the hallway and again as she walked home. Two hours later, her little sister found her wearing the very same clothes she wore to school.

Phoebe Prince had ended her torment herself.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/col...09&format=text

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 1,025 Times in 500 Posts

I fucking hate bullies! People who bully, and especially groups of people who bully, ought to have the shit beaten out of them and be put away in juvy or whatever they qualify for as a hard lesson - even in cases prior to when things get as bad as they did here.

And teachers, administrators, etc... who ignore this shit - they need to lose their jobs, and if it is egregious enough, then they should face charges. Fucking pukes.

And these little bastards... I hope they get what is coming to them. Fucking pitiful excuses for human beings. I'm sure they had no idea that they were pushing her to suicide, but they tormented her every day of her life. What ever happened to common decency and treating people with kindness?

Just makes me sick to hear about this kind of thing.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.30.11 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll never forget being beaten up by a group of kids on the playground during recess back in third grade. A teacher approached and asked what was going on. I was on the ground and the other kids told the teacher we were just playing. Without checking on me, she just walked away. I still remember seeing her walking away as these kids pounded the shit out of me. In my case, I went crazy and fought my way out. I got in trouble for fighting. Go figure. Point is, this kind of shit happens all the fuckin time and the so-called responsible adults need to take a hard line on this. If this girl was my daughter, I would have gotten the law involved.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:30 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

This is so terrible.
    When i was in school in the 80's there was no facebook or cell phones for idiots to harass u on.
    These kids should all get the chair.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Agreed! I also agree with Broken's points about elementary school kids.

This story infuriates me! The fact that her harasment was "common knowledge", statutory rape charges, disturbance of a school assembly charges, stalking charges, the fact that she was new to this country... Makes me sick.

Programs like D.A.R.E do a great job beating into the skulls of 3rd graders not to smoke or do drugs. It's really easy when they're 9 years old. Where's the follow up? Same with bullying. My kids are early on in elementary school and the school's "no tolerance" to bullying stance is strong. I hope it stays in jr. high and high school.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

SOUTH HADLEY - In the final months of Phoebe Prince’s short life, it was open season on the vulnerable high school freshman as an evil brood of cruel teens allegedly orchestrated a series of vicious attacks - carried out at times in front of school staff who failed to step in and protect her.

Days after nine teens were charged with criminally harassing Prince, the town is abuzz with tales of the torment the 15-year-old Irish immigrant endured before her Jan. 14 suicide.

The disturbing new details that emerged show a pattern of harassment that intensified in Prince’s sad last days - and even followed her to the grave.

Indeed, on the day Phoebe died, one of the accused bullies wrote “accomplished” as her status on her Facebook page, according to the mother of a schoolmate of Prince, who requested anonymity because she fears reprisals against her daughter.

Superintendent Gus A. Sayer has said school officials first learned of the bullying Jan. 7, a week before she died, when a student walked into a classroom and called Prince a “slut” in front of teacher. The student, he said, was punished. “She bore a lot of this stuff herself,” Sayer said of Phoebe.

Yet three days before Prince’s death, a student told a staffer about an obscene picture someone had scrawled over Prince in a class photo at school, according to the student’s mother. The staffer took the photo down, but it’s unclear whether she reported it.

“Phoebe had to go into that classroom and see that on one of the last days of her life,” said the woman.

Sayer, who cut short his vacation after the bombshell indictments were announced Monday, said yesterday he was unaware of the obscene drawing over Prince’s image. He added the staffer had not been interviewed in the school’s probe.

Sayer, however, defended a staff member who was allegedly present when Prince was attacked while studying in the library during lunch - hours before she went home and hanged herself.

In that incident, a group of students ganged up on Prince, calling her names in front of a staff member as one of them blocked the door, the student’s mother said.

In announcing criminal charges Monday, Northeastern District Attorney Elizabeth Scheibel said the faculty member did not report the incident to administrators until after Prince died.

Sayer disputes that account.

“I don’t believe (the staffer) witnessed it,” he said. “There was a staff member present, but that person did not overhear those conversations.”

The student’s mother believes school officials ignored the incident. “Sweep it under the rug - eventually it’ll all go away. That’s their motto,” the mother said.

The same day Prince took her life, her winter cotillion date, Sergio Loubriel, said he talked to her after lunch about arranging a ride to the dance.

Loubriel said Prince seemed “fine” and informed him she planned to call around dinner time.

But Loubriel knew full well the nightmarish turn his friend’s life had taken. “In the hallways, people would give little smart remarks, just look at her funny like she had three eyes,” Loubriel said. He added students called her a “slut” and an “Irish whore,” but Prince never discussed her woes with him.

“Right away they just jumped on her without even giving her a try,” Loubriel said.

The reign of terror continued even after Phoebe died.

The girl who wrote “accomplished” on her Facebook page was rebuked by a former student, now a college freshman, on the Web site. A few days later, one of the bully’s friends told the college freshman’s sister - a South Hadley senior - she’d better watch her back, according to the girls’ mother.

“What a rotten little town we have,” said resident Donna Tower, who has three granddaughters who graduated from the high school. “This is obscene.”
    Last edited by voivod; 04.02.10 at 04:15 AM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Having a daughter who has been bullied pretty much all her school life, my heart breaks for this girl and her family. The school, the staff and the goddam parents of these animals as well as the scumbags themselves all want prosecuting.

I remember ploughing into my daughters school staff room in an absolute rage when it was happening to my girl. I went ballistic after the first couple of times I went in and nothing seemed to have changed.

I hope this family gets real justice.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

I just can't understand what this girl did to warrant such behaviour. If there was justice in the world, her tormentors would've been killed in a bus crash or something, and she'd still be alive...