Register
    Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default The Ian Moore Thread

The time has come. I don't care if I'm the only guy that posts in it. Ian Moore deserves a thread.

A little bio information for those unfamiliar.

Annointed as the second coming of Stevie Ray, Moore was building quite a career for himself in the early 1990s. Touring with the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and ZZ Top, his first two records, Ian Moore and Modern Day Folklore, were doing well and getting good airplay on rock radio. He even had a video making the rounds on Mtv.

Now then, things get sketchy with the third record. Evidently, he and his band recorded what would become Ian Moore's Got the Green Grass and presented it to their label who told him to go fuck himself. You see, despite an incredible flair for the blues as a student of Albert King and Buddy Guy (among others) Moore's musical tastes and creative ambitions were far beyond just trudging through the traditional Texas flavoured I,IV,Vs. Wanting to forge ahead and explore beebop, jazz, zydeco, hillbilly, rock, punk, psychedelic, pop and anything else that his muse dictated, he recorded what he felt was a great representation of where the band was. Apparently the label refused it and demanded that he re-record the album with more solos and more blues. He refused. The label booted him. He rerecorded his album as a solo endeavour employing friends from the Austin scene at the famed Slaughter House recording studio. The album was released and he began touring the club scene like a man possessed. He'd come through Houston as often as six times a year, playing two nights each time.

Subsequent releases found him further exploring different styles and themes and he has since moved to Vashon Island outside Seattle Washington.

He can still tear your face off with a solo and unleashes them often enough to remind everyone where his roots are but his songs tend to feature his incredible voice as much as anything these days. Compared to guys like Jeff Buckley, Moore is a true and rare talent who refuses to cater to even his own passionate fans believing that his true fans understand that he's gotta do what he's gotta do and he's not afraid to lose and gain some with every release. I've actually been in the audience where he has chastised unruly members who kept demanding to hear hits from his early years when he was focusing on new material.

He's a true Texas music icon and is cherised by people all over the country.

here are some Youtubes:

Ian plays I Am the Cosmos by Chris Bell

Angylene off ...And All The Colours

Barline 99...an early hit on rock radio

Singing Dylan's You're a Big Girl Now
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Right on, man, right on!

You won't be the only one posting here...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

One of my all-time faves of his, from '...And All The Colors'.
    Only clip I could find of it but what a bad-ass tune:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    One of my all-time faves of his, from '...And All The Colors'.
    Only clip I could find of it but what a bad-ass tune:

that is a damn good clip of that song. That was a great time to see him, not there has been a bad time, but the And All the Colours era made for fantastic shows.

I wish there was a youtube of him doing his Muddy Jesus/Personal Jesus medley!

Do you have his live album or DVD?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Actually, I don't. I've got:

- Ian Moore
    - Modernday Folklore
    - Live From Austin EP
    - ...And All The Colors
    - Green Grass
    - Luminaria

The rest I'm gonna have to catch up on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

- Ian Moore
    - Modernday Folklore
    - Live From Austin EP
    - ...And All The Colors
    - Green Grass
    - Luminaria

BTW, I told you about seeing him way back before he was signed and becoming pretty good friends with him for a while, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

- Ian Moore
    - Modernday Folklore
    - Live From Austin EP
    - ...And All The Colors
    - Green Grass
    - Luminaria

Yeah, you have to get the most recent, the live album from the Sat Lounge in Houston and his DVD from the Cactus Cafe. They've also released Luminaria on heavy vinyl if you have a turntable. It sounds GREAT on record!!!!

BTW, I told you about seeing him way back before he was signed and becoming pretty good friends with him for a while, right?
    Yes you did and you suck. Honestly, I would really love to talk to this guy. I've approached him on a few occasions over the years. He knows I exist, not by name really but by face I'm sure. On a couple occasions he's looked down and seen me and nodded as if to say "hey, it's you again!" I have said hello and congratulated him on great performances and one night I bent his ear for about 90 seconds and thanked him for being him because him writing and performing the way he does and managing his career as he does gives me inspiration and justification. He's really one of those "well, if Ian can do it, so can I" people but beyond that I've never really talked to him. I would love to actually meet him one day and talk and become at least couple-times-a-year emailers or something.

I tell you, last year he did a songwriters workshop up in Vashon Island. The workshop was only 35 bucks or something and I was sooooooo tempted to fly up there. It would have cost me about 800 bucks but I really wanted to go. Of course, that would have played out one of two ways. Either I'd be the totally devoted fan and songwriter so impressed and appreciative of him that I flew across the US to see him give a class OR I'd be the wierd stalker guy from all his shows taking it up a notch.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Yeah, you have to get the most recent, the live album from the Sat Lounge in Houston and his DVD from the Cactus Cafe. They've also released Luminaria on heavy vinyl if you have a turntable. It sounds GREAT on record!!!!

Yes you did and you suck. Honestly, I would really love to talk to this guy. I've approached him on a few occasions over the years. He knows I exist, not by name really but by face I'm sure. On a couple occasions he's looked down and seen me and nodded as if to say "hey, it's you again!" I have said hello and congratulated him on great performances and one night I bent his ear for about 90 seconds and thanked him for being him because him writing and performing the way he does and managing his career as he does gives me inspiration and justification. He's really one of those "well, if Ian can do it, so can I" people but beyond that I've never really talked to him. I would love to actually meet him one day and talk and become at least couple-times-a-year emailers or something.

I tell you, last year he did a songwriters workshop up in Vashon Island. The workshop was only 35 bucks or something and I was sooooooo tempted to fly up there. It would have cost me about 800 bucks but I really wanted to go. Of course, that would have played out one of two ways. Either I'd be the totally devoted fan and songwriter so impressed and appreciative of him that I flew across the US to see him give a class OR I'd be the wierd stalker guy from all his shows taking it up a notch.
    Ah, hell, he's such a nice guy, maybe a bit jaded at times, but really laid-back. Hell, last time he played a solo acoustic show here (at a shit-hole bar owned by my old lead singer), he stayed at another one of my best friends' house for the weekend. Still pissed I wasn't able to make either to catch up with him as we haven't chatted in years...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ah, hell, he's such a nice guy, maybe a bit jaded at times, but really laid-back. Hell, last time he played a solo acoustic show here (at a shit-hole bar owned by my old lead singer), he stayed at another one of my best friends' house for the weekend. Still pissed I wasn't able to make either to catch up with him as we haven't chatted in years...
    I love his acoustic shows. I took The Wife and some friends from work last time through to see he and Cullen play their last show together and it was incredible. At one point he came out into the audience and played a couple songs standing in the middle of the floor. The guy is a one-of-a-kind for sure.

If you do get in touch with him, I would love for you to tell him about me.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I love his acoustic shows. I took The Wife and some friends from work last time through to see he and Cullen play their last show together and it was incredible. At one point he came out into the audience and played a couple songs standing in the middle of the floor. The guy is a one-of-a-kind for sure.

If you do get in touch with him, I would love for you to tell him about me.
    You bet, man.

To be honest, I've really been out of the loop as far as he's concerned for more years that I'd like to admit but if I hear of anything, you can be sure it'll be posted here...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Upcoming shows:

Sun, Apr. 25th • Makeout Room • San Francisco, Ca
    Wed, Apr. 28th • Mississippi Studio • Portland, Or
    Thu, Apr. 29th • Sunset Tavern • Seattle, Wa
    Fri, Apr. 30th • Red Bicycle Bistro • Vashon, Wa
    Fri, Jun. 11th • Saxon Pub • Austin, TX
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Uno, a new EP is available through ITunes.

His new record, El Sonido Nuevo, will come out in CD, LP and digital download in August!!!

He will be in Houston at the Continental Club for a record release show on August 14th!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Both cd EPs are on iTunes. They are titled "uno" and "dos."

Also, just picked up the full length vinyl album. It is the only format he's releasing the new record on. Pretty cool!

Also, he has announced that he will be touring with Jason Mraz for the summer and part of the fall. A bit of an odd couple but it's nice to see Moore out on a national tour again. I wonder if this is a sign of something big on the horizon or if he just decided to get back out on the road again.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.