Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Default Speaking of healthcare...

If my wife takes a job with better and less expensive healthcare than mine, is there any reason for me to keep my coverage (other than not being in an open enrollment period)?

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    If my wife takes a job with better and less expensive healthcare than mine, is there any reason for me to keep my coverage (other than not being in an open enrollment period)?
    as long as her coverage provides for the whole family, there is probably no need to keep yours, but then again, the more coverage the better (?)

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 545 Times in 326 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

None. In fact, better you don't have it, since it could cause all kinds of claims problems if you need to use it. Fights over who's primary, etc. No good. You might have an overlap where hers is effective before yours cancels, but that's different.

As long as the coverage is better/cheaper for you, go onto hers. Just remember you have to do it now, or wait until her open enrollment.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, our insurance reps always encourage us to have secondary insurance so that the secondary company picks up any overages in charges that the primary doesn't cover. I have yet to meet anyone who has had a great experience with that as the insurance companies try to get the other to pay.

Now then, something to keep in mind...if you have an HSA with your current insurance plan you will be unable to continue depositing money and your company will stop making deposits into that account (if they do so at all) if the high deductible insurance plan that goes with it is NOT your sole insurance plan.

This is my situation. I was considering adding The Wife's more conventional insurance policy for us which would give us access to copays for prescriptions and doctor's visits and thinking I could make my HSA money go further but that's not allowed. I can only use my HSA money in conjunction with a high deductible plan. So we kept what we have...which is a plan where I pay the first 5000 dollars of expenses and then BCBS covers 100% of anything over that. I have an HSA account that my company funds 4500 dollars over the course of 12 deposits and I chip in another 120 bucks every month that over the long haul covers the deductible. Sounds great right? Well, the downside is that mine and The Wife's monthly prescriptions (her allergies and birth control and my blood pressure/migraine and stomach pills) are over 300 bucks a month. That doesn't leave a lot of extra money in that account for doctor's visits...which run 90 bucks for my physician and, I think 75 bucks for her's. Say we have an emergency and need to go to the emergency room, we're walking out of there with a bill for whatever...not a 100 dollar deductible.

Right wingers say this is the best way to run health care because it puts the responsibility on me to be price conscious and be an intelligent consumer. Last year it worked out well. We met our deductible in September and The Wife had her nasal surgery in October and insurance covered almost all of it. Somehow, and I'm not sure how, even though they were supposed to cover 100% passed the 5K we still got saddled with close to 1000 bucks worth of bills so whatever. There is no perfect system. All I know is that I'm very very fortunate to work where I do because most companies that do high deductible/HSA plans either don't fund the employees' accounts at all or do so at 20-40% of the deductible. Then the employee has to set aside money every month on top of what they're already paying for insurance to put in that account so they can pay for medical expenses. My employer funds almost 100% of the account. These are great for healthy people who don't have monthly medical expenses because that money adds up and adds up and then can be used for all sorts of things from acupuncture to catastrophic emergencies to over-the-counter medications to lasic eye surgery or dentistry. However, when you're like me with a couple of nagging medical issues that require some prescriptions and a few trips to the doctor over the course of the year it's a real pain because I don't get my company's contribution in one lump sum at the first of the year. They deposit a small amount every month. Well, when a trip to the doctor costs 500 bucks because there are no copays that can be a real problem. I have to reach out of my pocket to make up the difference between what's in my HSA and what the cost of the visit is and sometimes my pocket isn't that deep because I'm already spending a small fortune on this health insurance and my HSA deposits plus everything else in life and those of you that know me personally know that we're not splurging too much anywhere. Supporters of this type of insurance say it makes the consumer/patient prioritize their healthcare. ie: do I REALLY need to get that thing removed? Do I REALLY need to get an MRI? Do I REALLY need that prescription? Do I REALLY need to get that root canal? Do I REALLY need that upper GI? Well, I'm not a doctor. That's why I go to one. If my doctor, who I trust and believe in and whose expertise I respect and rely on, tells me "You need an upper GI or an MRI or this prescription I'm going to err on the side of his experience and do it." My insurance company should then say "ok. Tell us where to send the check." It's pretty plain and fucking simple to me because they make a shit load more off of me than I spend even with the few minor nagging issues that come up over the course of the year...fuckers.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Uh...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Oh, and one other thing - if her job is out of state (which it will be), then is the insurance she gets only really good in that state?

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Oh, and one other thing - if her job is out of state (which it will be), then is the insurance she gets only really good in that state?
    That would depend on the insurer, I would be sure to ask lots of questions.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

03.01.11 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Well, our insurance reps always encourage us to have secondary insurance so that the secondary company picks up any overages in charges that the primary doesn't cover. I have yet to meet anyone who has had a great experience with that as the insurance companies try to get the other to pay.

Now then, something to keep in mind...if you have an HSA with your current insurance plan you will be unable to continue depositing money and your company will stop making deposits into that account (if they do so at all) if the high deductible insurance plan that goes with it is NOT your sole insurance plan.

This is my situation. I was considering adding The Wife's more conventional insurance policy for us which would give us access to copays for prescriptions and doctor's visits and thinking I could make my HSA money go further but that's not allowed. I can only use my HSA money in conjunction with a high deductible plan. So we kept what we have...which is a plan where I pay the first 5000 dollars of expenses and then BCBS covers 100% of anything over that. I have an HSA account that my company funds 4500 dollars over the course of 12 deposits and I chip in another 120 bucks every month that over the long haul covers the deductible. Sounds great right? Well, the downside is that mine and The Wife's monthly prescriptions (her allergies and birth control and my blood pressure/migraine and stomach pills) are over 300 bucks a month. That doesn't leave a lot of extra money in that account for doctor's visits...which run 90 bucks for my physician and, I think 75 bucks for her's. Say we have an emergency and need to go to the emergency room, we're walking out of there with a bill for whatever...not a 100 dollar deductible.

Right wingers say this is the best way to run health care because it puts the responsibility on me to be price conscious and be an intelligent consumer. Last year it worked out well. We met our deductible in September and The Wife had her nasal surgery in October and insurance covered almost all of it. Somehow, and I'm not sure how, even though they were supposed to cover 100% passed the 5K we still got saddled with close to 1000 bucks worth of bills so whatever. There is no perfect system. All I know is that I'm very very fortunate to work where I do because most companies that do high deductible/HSA plans either don't fund the employees' accounts at all or do so at 20-40% of the deductible. Then the employee has to set aside money every month on top of what they're already paying for insurance to put in that account so they can pay for medical expenses. My employer funds almost 100% of the account. These are great for healthy people who don't have monthly medical expenses because that money adds up and adds up and then can be used for all sorts of things from acupuncture to catastrophic emergencies to over-the-counter medications to lasic eye surgery or dentistry. However, when you're like me with a couple of nagging medical issues that require some prescriptions and a few trips to the doctor over the course of the year it's a real pain because I don't get my company's contribution in one lump sum at the first of the year. They deposit a small amount every month. Well, when a trip to the doctor costs 500 bucks because there are no copays that can be a real problem. I have to reach out of my pocket to make up the difference between what's in my HSA and what the cost of the visit is and sometimes my pocket isn't that deep because I'm already spending a small fortune on this health insurance and my HSA deposits plus everything else in life and those of you that know me personally know that we're not splurging too much anywhere. Supporters of this type of insurance say it makes the consumer/patient prioritize their healthcare. ie: do I REALLY need to get that thing removed? Do I REALLY need to get an MRI? Do I REALLY need that prescription? Do I REALLY need to get that root canal? Do I REALLY need that upper GI? Well, I'm not a doctor. That's why I go to one. If my doctor, who I trust and believe in and whose expertise I respect and rely on, tells me "You need an upper GI or an MRI or this prescription I'm going to err on the side of his experience and do it." My insurance company should then say "ok. Tell us where to send the check." It's pretty plain and fucking simple to me because they make a shit load more off of me than I spend even with the few minor nagging issues that come up over the course of the year...fuckers.
    IT was only $500 and that was what was left to meet our deductible which we had not met when I had my surgery.

LV

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

I know a couple, he is retired (early buyout). she is not. They thought it would be great to get a jump start on their retirement and found a place in Missouri or something, so they moved there from Michigan. He has his union negotiated insurance that was pretty inexpensive, so they opted out of her insurance thru her employers.

Their out of network costs were killing them, and she could not get insurance through her employer until the next enrollment period.

Last year, I heard they were trying to move back due entirely to the insurance situation, which apparently has something to do with the early buyout plan he took. Then I heard, they had enrolled her on her employers insurance, but there were still big problems because of his preexisting heart and lung problems

It takes 2 insurance plans to keep them properly insured and he still returns to Michigan for some of his medical care

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I know a couple, he is retired (early buyout). she is not. They thought it would be great to get a jump start on their retirement and found a place in Missouri or something, so they moved there from Michigan. He has his union negotiated insurance that was pretty inexpensive, so they opted out of her insurance thru her employers.

Their out of network costs were killing them, and she could not get insurance through her employer until the next enrollment period.

Last year, I heard they were trying to move back due entirely to the insurance situation, which apparently has something to do with the early buyout plan he took. Then I heard, they had enrolled her on her employers insurance, but there were still big problems because of his preexisting heart and lung problems

It takes 2 insurance plans to keep them properly insured and he still returns to Michigan for some of his medical care
    That's ridiculous. So he has to stay in his previous state until he dies for his insurance to really benefit him?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

The way he explained it to me, is that because he retired early (not disabled) his insurance does cover him if he goes out of state, but he has to pay the out of network costs. When he gets to retirement age his medicare will cover him where ever he goes as primary, but until then, he's going ot have to stick around or pay the price.

chalk it up to the high cost of taking the early out.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    The way he explained it to me, is that because he retired early (not disabled) his insurance does cover him if he goes out of state, but he has to pay the out of network costs. When he gets to retirement age his medicare will cover him where ever he goes as primary, but until then, he's going ot have to stick around or pay the price.

chalk it up to the high cost of taking the early out.
    I guess. Still...seems pretty lame. He should be able to move wherever he wants.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I guess. Still...seems pretty lame. He should be able to move wherever he wants.
    Federal regulations do not allow insurance companies to compete across state lines. This is one of the issues (and tort reform) the GOP was trying to get into the healthcare bill.
    Tort reform would have taken frivolity out of lawsuits.