Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

lawmaker wants to ban toys in fast food kid's meals

SANTA CLARA COUNTY (KGO) -- A Santa Clara County lawmaker will introduce legislation to stop restaurants from handing out toys with fast food menu items geared toward children.

The proposed legislation would ban toy giveaways at restaurants only in Santa Clara County.

Some say toys are what puts the happy in a Happy Meal, like at McDonalds.

"I'm sorry but when you go for a Happy Meal for a child -- we go for the prize, because that's what makes the Happy Meal a happy meal," said San Jose resident Barbara Park.

But Santa Clara County Board of Supervisor Ken Yeager says these types of fast food meals don't make for a happy, healthy waistline.

"One in three kids are overweight or are obese, and we're finding out more and more that if you're obese as a child, you're going to have health problems your entire life," said Yeager.

In an effort to combat the nation's epidemic of childhood obesity, Supervisor Yeager is proposing Santa Clara County create an ordinance regulating fast food restaurants' ability to offer toys or other incentives with kids' meals.

"Ten out of 12 meals that are associated with the promotional toys are the high-caloric, high-fat, high-sodium meals," said Yeager.

A Federal Trade Commission study estimates that restaurants sold more than a billion meals accompanied by toys to children under 12. If passed, regulation could range from an outright ban on toys -- to restricting them being given out only with healthy meals. Some disagree with such restrictions, saying adults should be able to make the food choices how they see fit and believe the fat part isn't solely to blame on the fast food.

"I think they get fat when they eat at home. That starts at home, I raised five boys and I have grandchildren and that starts at home. They eat what is in the refrigerator, they eat what parents buy at grocery store," said San Jose resident Jacqueline Busch.

Many restaurants now offer healthier choices from juice, to apple slices, but in the end, the draw is really the Star Wars figures and toy cars and parents believe they can monitor that intake.

"It's a treat. You do good -- let's go to Burger King," said Busch.

Supervisor Yeager expects such a public health ordinance banning fast-food toy incentives could draw a challenge from the California Restaurant Association, but that it would legally fall under the health and safety codes.

If it is passed, this would be the first such legislation in the nation.

The board votes on the proposed ordinance next month.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=7345506
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

02.16.12 @ 11:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

pure garbage... people who don't own or run a business trying to run someone else's business. overreaching lawmakers once again. if they want to be in the private sector so badly, go compete for a job amongst the unwashed masses and work your way up to being able to make marketing decisions like this.

its obvious the toys are an attraction, but these days they are just another piece of junk rattling around in the back of my car after the youngest is done eating.

and who is to determine the healthy threshold for their inclusion in a meal? a legislator? please... get back to doing something contructive about taxes or government services, not a dang happy meal...

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:13 AM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

this is stupid.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I love it. Anything to discourage a kid from wanting to shovel shit food down into his mouth is a good thing. Hope it passes.

But here's what I'd do. Don't ban the toys, just put them in a healthy meal. Draw the kid towards something that might actually be good for him!
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Last Online

03.10.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I love it. Anything to discourage a kid from wanting to shovel shit food down into his mouth is a good thing. Hope it passes.

But here's what I'd do. Don't ban the toys, just put them in a healthy meal. Draw the kid towards something that might actually be good for him!
    i have to agree with you. normally, i'd be fighting against someone who says what you have, but i actually agree.
    [On the House Un-American Activities Committee] "They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem."- Humphrey Bogart
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".- George Carlin
    "I just think people should be very free with sex. They should draw the line at goats." - Elton John
    "I'm just trying to figure out why you don’t have any clothes on," the deputy said.

"Me too," Krauss replied.

"Don’t forget! One sperm can ruin your whole day!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:40 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post

exactly...the problem is not the toy...the problem is the food

and the parents who let the kids eat too much of the bad food, cause little kids are'nt buying it for themselves

even the resident commie pinko sympathizer linker knows that

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.30.11 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Toy or no toy, the kid is picking the burger-fries combo over the salad and apple slices. I'm with those who think this lawmaker should get to work on something a bit more constructive than this. Furthermore........ITS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE FAST FOOD INDUSTRY TO MAKE SURE PEOPLE EAT RIGHT. Besides, the kid isnt buying the happy meal - the parents are! And no one is forcing them to do it! This is just like those numbskulls who wanted to sue McDonalds because they got fat. Until I hear evidence that McDonalds is sending out hit squads to force people through the doors at gunpoint, I say keep servin up those greaseball burgers - and dont forget the toy!

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry may sound okay in theory but really there have been toys in kid's meals long before this obesity epidemic.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

this is retarded. That toy has nothing to do with parents who take the easy route and buy their kid a happy meal.

What's more, all the fast food joints are offering healthy alternatives in their happy meals: milk, juice, apple slices and peanut butter.

This guy needs to get a life. He's right up there with the jackass councilman from Houston that has spent years trying to push a bill limiting how cheerleaders can dance so it doesn't sex the kids up and lead to sluts and teen pregnancy.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

I don't know about in the States but up here you can buy the toy seperately if you don't want the kids happy meal. But if you're in McDonalds, you're probably not gonna find something all that healthy anyways. I think the problem lies with the parents who think McDonalds is a staple in their kids lives as opposed to the occassional treat.

The issue becomes how far do you want to take this. The local tex-mex place we go to has crayons and colouring books for the kids to help parents like us keep their kids occupied. Should those be banned to since clearly your kid would be better off eating at home? Those Nacho chips they serve aren't good for you so for the sake of the kids those should be taken away too.

Parents need to learn to be parents. Sadly most people my age who have kids aren't capable of handing their own lives never mind the lives of little kids.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:51 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Pure poppycock.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I don't know about in the States but up here you can buy the toy seperately if you don't want the kids happy meal. But if you're in McDonalds, you're probably not gonna find something all that healthy anyways. I think the problem lies with the parents who think McDonalds is a staple in their kids lives as opposed to the occassional treat.

The issue becomes how far do you want to take this. The local tex-mex place we go to has crayons and colouring books for the kids to help parents like us keep their kids occupied. Should those be banned to since clearly your kid would be better off eating at home? Those Nacho chips they serve aren't good for you so for the sake of the kids those should be taken away too.

Parents need to learn to be parents. Sadly most people my age who have kids aren't capable of handing their own lives never mind the lives of little kids.
    yep, you can purchase the toys without buying the happy meal. Parents need to be parents and businesses should be allowed to run themselves how they see fit and let the market determine the validity of their practices.

Unless government really DOES know better about how people should raise their kids, run their businesses and live their lives.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    yep, you can purchase the toys without buying the happy meal. Parents need to be parents and businesses should be allowed to run themselves how they see fit and let the market determine the validity of their practices.

Unless government really DOES know better about how people should raise their kids, run their businesses and live their lives.
    you know i'm more of a big government guy than you but i couldn't agree with you more on this particular issue.

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

I can't believe how quickly people are willing to throw in the towel on their rights when it might be something they happen to agree with. What principles! We have a fat kid epidemic in America - well it's time to stamp out freedoms! Everyone should be disgusted that something like this even gets a hearing.
    Anonymous for fear of fatwa

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brownnation View Post
    I can't believe how quickly people are willing to throw in the towel on their rights when it might be something they happen to agree with. What principles! We have a fat kid epidemic in America - well it's time to stamp out freedoms! Everyone should be disgusted that something like this even gets a hearing.
    Totally I really can't believe that there are people that are okay with this?!? Maybe we should start with school lunches first.