Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:22 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Default Anyone using Amplitube 3?

I've been using a Pod XT Live for several years now, and a Boss GX700 for about ten years before that, and I've been looking around for something new to try in the modelling realm. I don't gig any more, so a pedal board may not be the best solution for me now.

Anyway, I've downloaded demos for both NI GuitarRig and Amplitube 3, and while I like the flexibility for the GuitarRig, I found the Amplitube models had a better feel. It does take some tweaking, but I've already got a handful of vintage Marshall style patches worked up, and a Fair Warning to 1984 era VH sound that's getting close. The only issues I have with the demo are the amount of noise I'm getting with using line rather than instrument level inputs, and the slight latency of using the sound card's own processing. I'm hoping these two problems will both be cured by getting the proper StealthPedal interface.

Anyway, is anyone using Amplitube 3, and if so, how are you plugging in?
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    I've been using a Pod XT Live for several years now, and a Boss GX700 for about ten years before that, and I've been looking around for something new to try in the modelling realm. I don't gig any more, so a pedal board may not be the best solution for me now.

Anyway, I've downloaded demos for both NI GuitarRig and Amplitube 3, and while I like the flexibility for the GuitarRig, I found the Amplitube models had a better feel. It does take some tweaking, but I've already got a handful of vintage Marshall style patches worked up, and a Fair Warning to 1984 era VH sound that's getting close. The only issues I have with the demo are the amount of noise I'm getting with using line rather than instrument level inputs, and the slight latency of using the sound card's own processing. I'm hoping these two problems will both be cured by getting the proper StealthPedal interface.

Anyway, is anyone using Amplitube 3, and if so, how are you plugging in?
    i wonder if it's possible to use my Line6 Toneport as an interface???
    i might D/L the demo and see...i will report back mate...
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    i wonder if it's possible to use my Line6 Toneport as an interface???
    i might D/L the demo and see...i will report back mate...
    I use my Toneport with Cakewalk SONAR and it sounds great. Still have to get it figured out though since I'm new to recording and mixing. I've always wanted to try Amplitube 3 even though I've heard mixed reviews on the product.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Frankenstrat View Post
    I use my Toneport with Cakewalk SONAR and it sounds great. Still have to get it figured out though since I'm new to recording and mixing. I've always wanted to try Amplitube 3 even though I've heard mixed reviews on the product.
    yeah, i have found that the tone port is compatable with most recording software and quite a few other 'amp/effect sim' programs....i still quite like gearbox though, it's very simple to use and sounds pretty good. also its pretty damn cheap, i bought my Toneport GX for 35 new with the intention of only using it to practice at night when the rest of the house was asleep or when breaking out the rig wasn't a good idea, i have since used it on tons of recordings, with some pretty good results....ZERO latency too, which is a bonus, i'd highly recomend it.

i have D/L Amplitube and with install/run it later ad report back with my findings...one thing i will say already though is that it's expensive compared to gearbox/podfarm...i hope it's worth it

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Choose just one??
    Last Online

12.14.14 @ 07:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use amplitube 2, and I love it. You are right - it does take some tweaking to really get it sounding good, but it is also very versatile. As for the latency issues you have, try downloading ASIO4ALL and use that as the driver instead of your soundcard deafult. ASIO4ALL is basically a low overhead driver that should get rid of any latency you have.

I will have to download the version 3 demo and see if it is any better than 2 - maybe post a little sound clip so I can compare? I may also have to borrow those presets you've been working on, if I end up going to the new version! I also have their "amplitube metal", which has a 5150 model in there - sounds great, to me anyway

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

A fellow I know who works in advertising uses Amplitube 2 as well, and it sounds absolutely amazing once you tweak a few things. This is a guy who had a whole arsenal of amps, synths, the works. Now all he uses is a Korg Workstation, and software like Amplitube. Amazing stuff. You should hear his finished work. all out of a small studio in a condo. Sounds like it was recorded in a fully equiped megastudio.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

well i have been mucking around with amplitube 3 for for about an hour.
    Yes it works with my toneport but even with zero buffer theres still an annoying amount of latency (my system is quad core running 4gb of ram!!) of the models i have tried theres too much low end, but once tweaked they sound pretty good some of the presets are interesting. i haven't recorded anything with it yet but i will get round to it maybe later.
    first impressions are, it's not worth the money, but then again i haven't really scratched the surface yet

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

well i have been mucking around with amplitube 3 for for about an hour.
    Yes it works with my toneport but even with zero buffer theres still an annoying amount of latency (my system is quad core running 4gb of ram!!) of the models i have tried theres too much low end, but once tweaked they sound pretty good some of the presets are interesting. i haven't recorded anything with it yet but i will get round to it maybe later.
    first impressions are, it's not worth the money, but then again i haven't really scratched the surface yet
    Really? Wow, that's surprising giving your setup. I personally gave up on alot of the software based stuff for this very reason. I was using one multitrack package for instance, and the latency actually became really evident as you added tracks. By mixdown, I could clearly hear lag between instruments, and it was real irritating. I was told it was my soundcard, so I upgraded to the recommended type, and it was slightly better, but still there. I'm not sure what my friend uses as far as hardware to run Amplitube 2; it is a PC though, but his stuff sounds great. Surprising to hear though Tom. Wonder if it's a bug in the latest version they need to work out.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Really? Wow, that's surprising giving your setup. I personally gave up on alot of the software based stuff for this very reason. I was using one multitrack package for instance, and the latency actually became really evident as you added tracks. By mixdown, I could clearly hear lag between instruments, and it was real irritating. I was told it was my soundcard, so I upgraded to the recommended type, and it was slightly better, but still there. I'm not sure what my friend uses as far as hardware to run Amplitube 2; it is a PC though, but his stuff sounds great. Surprising to hear though Tom. Wonder if it's a bug in the latest version they need to work out.
    i have no idea what causes it, i tried plugging straight into my soundcard and then with the toneport and the latency was evident using both, also another thing i forgot to mention is the background noise, theres loads, yes you can dial it out using the gate but it's not something i find when using Gearbox or Pod Farm, theres hiss but not buzzing and clicking that im getting while i use Amplitube....it may be because im using the trial version, but I'd hate to shell out my cash and find out that it isn't, still, it's an ok program for practicing when volume is an issue, but my money goes to Gearbox/Pod Farm, they're cheaper and sound equally as good with less latency and less background noise the only problem with them is they have less effects, but i dont tend to use much past chorus and delay anyways, if i need to use anything different, i just plug my pedalboard into my Toneport and use it like a regular amp!...simple

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

ok, quick update...

10 mins after my last post...the program just crapped out on me, zero output, although it is showing a strong input signal. my other programs are working fine.
    i have even tried a reboot, but still nada!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    I use amplitube 2, and I love it. You are right - it does take some tweaking to really get it sounding good, but it is also very versatile. As for the latency issues you have, try downloading ASIO4ALL and use that as the driver instead of your soundcard deafult. ASIO4ALL is basically a low overhead driver that should get rid of any latency you have.
    I tried that and, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work with my old Yamaha SW1000XG soundcard. The latency isn't that bad, but more than I'd want if I bought the software and pedal. It's just about noticable when playing, just bad enough to through your timing if you're playing a particularly tight rhythm. Thanks for the tip, though.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

i have no idea what causes it, i tried plugging straight into my soundcard and then with the toneport and the latency was evident using both, also another thing i forgot to mention is the background noise, theres loads, yes you can dial it out using the gate but it's not something i find when using Gearbox or Pod Farm, theres hiss but not buzzing and clicking that im getting while i use Amplitube....it may be because im using the trial version, but I'd hate to shell out my cash and find out that it isn't, still, it's an ok program for practicing when volume is an issue, but my money goes to Gearbox/Pod Farm, they're cheaper and sound equally as good with less latency and less background noise the only problem with them is they have less effects, but i dont tend to use much past chorus and delay anyways, if i need to use anything different, i just plug my pedalboard into my Toneport and use it like a regular amp!...simple
    I didn't get usable results using my Pod XT Live as the interface. It's passable with the sound card's ASIO driver, though. I'm getting a lot of noise, but I think it's because I'm having to push the input level way up to something like +12db to compensate for plugging into a line level input. If dial back the input level to what it should be for an instrument level input, the noise is neglible.

There are some things it does really, really well. The clean amps, for instance, are way better than my Pod. The Fenders are especially good, with loads of headroom. I have trouble getting a really spanky clean sound from the Fender models on my Pod. The Orange model is also a lot better than the Pod, as is the Marshall JCM800. But there's no JTM45, and no Variac Plexi, no Soldano. The Vox models on the Pod are far better than Amplitube's, at least to my ears.

The stomps are far superior in Amplitube, not least of all because you can chain far more, but the Pod has a better selection of outboard effects, including reverbs. The Amplitibe lacks any kind of tape echo, but it does have a good harmonizer, which the Pod lacks.

I dunno. Each has things it does really well, and both have their shortcomings. The amp models in Amplitube do feel more organic to me, but it doesn't have some of the key amps I want.

I'll keep experimenting until the demo period runs out, and I might post some audio clips just for the hell of it.

Any other opinions would be welcome, inclusing whether or not upgrading to the Pod X3 would satisfy my desire for something new.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

sounds you guys are well educated on this subject but seems that the "latency" issues always seem to come up. I'm also in the ''what should I buy" mode. The "Eleven Rack" claims to solve "latency" issues along with a massive amount of high end features??? 899 plus.... if you need MIDI controller..
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by axebrian View Post
    sounds you guys are well educated on this subject but seems that the "latency" issues always seem to come up. I'm also in the ''what should I buy" mode. The "Eleven Rack" claims to solve "latency" issues along with a massive amount of high end features??? 899 plus.... if you need MIDI controller..
    there is ZERO latency with my Toneport GX and the Pod Farm or Gearbox software and the thing only cost 35 new (that included the software!)

like charvel said, the effects in general are better with Amplitube, but the cons far out weigh the pro's in my opinion. also because the Toneport is an interface you don't need to upgrade your soundcard, and it works with all the major recording programs and most of the free ones too (like Krystal and Audacity)

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

after a few infuriating and frustrating days, i have decided to uninstal Amplitube 3, its too buggy, noisy and lacks a lot of features that the Line6 software gives away free of charge, all in all, i didnt like it, some may prefer it, but i don't recomend it.