Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 11,602 Times in 4,946 Posts

Our Advertising on the Board

Hey guys,

As you know, I used to have some extra ads on the board, and from time to time we'd have malware issues that I'd hear about, people getting spyware on their computers, etc. So I removed the ads, despite the fact that the revenue I got from the banners was very beneficial for paying for the site. So I complained several time to Burstnet (the company I get the banners from) about the issues we've been having. Apparently I'm not alone, as I just got this email from them I'd like to share.

To Our Valued Publishers-

Burst Media has enhanced our Third Party Feeds Quality Assurance Program and we wanted to make you aware of these great changes. As some of you know, spyware/malware infiltration has becoming more of an issue within the industry and Third Party Feeds have been a target for this in the past. With that being said, Burst has ramped up our internal program to assure you that Third Party Feeds we are running are the highest quality and a great campaign selection for our Publishers to increase revenue and fill.

To understand our Quality Assurance Program, it’s important to understand what a 3rd Party Feed is: A 3rd Party Feed is a campaign in your Burst Publisher Account Center that dynamically rotates in creative for multiple advertisers . The ones that will run on your sites are branded or safe advertisers.

However, we are reaching out to inquire about additional inventory you could send to help us deliver these campaigns. Any additional inventory would be most appreciated.

What we’ve found is it’s all about the source of the Feeds. Improve the quality of the source, you improve the quality of the ads, and reduce the risk for spyware/malware.

In the ever changing landscape of internet advertising there are many different players. It is extremely important to have distinct rules for who we will partner with to source ads. Direct advertisers, agencies, Demand Side Platforms (DSPs), ad networks, brokers/resellers – with so many vendors it is complicated and changes continually.

This is our Quality Assurance Program to resolve this:
    Our Feeds Quality Assurance Program ensures that Burst is only working with the highest quality third party feed providers. Through this program, a team, which is made up of the Vice President of Sales, Director of Advertising Operations, Chief Marketing Officer, Director of Media Acquisition, Manager Publisher Services, and Client Development Manager – Burst Direct, reviews each potential provider on a variety of levels to ensure that the feeds we are providing to our Publishers fit the quality advertisers and campaigns that you expect to see as part of Burst.

This includes categorizing our advertising partners by level and defining where they can run ads. We are only allowing ads coming from our top level partners to run on Burst Media Publishers. Anything that doesn’t hit our criteria requirements will never run on your site; the types of feeds you will be seeing will be coming from:

- Advertiser
    These campaigns will advertise only products & services owned by the company

- Agency
    Campaigns represents advertisers in contractual relationships with the agency running this campaign

- Transparent DSP/Ad Network
    Burst receives an advertiser list – Campaigns will come directly from the agency

We have a one-strike policy with all partners- feeds should never provide our Publishers with malware or viruses.

We are listening to you and are implementing your ideas. We have added a flag in your account center next to each campaign that is a feed. You can also find a more detailed description of what classifies a feed in Campaign Preferences. This flag will allow for you to easily identify all third party feeds being run through Burst Network.

Now that Burst has implemented our enhanced Quality Assurance Program you should feel that the ads that you are being provided through these Third Party Feeds are of the highest caliber. We are serious about helping you with your fill rates, and consider ourselves the guardians of your gate. Please go into your Publisher Account Centers, review these ads, and select them as a great way to increase your fill rate & revenue through Burst while maintaining quality and control!

Best,

Caitlin
    Manager, Publisher Services
    Burst Media
    (781) 852-5293

support@burstmedia.com
    http://www.burstmedia.com
    With this new information from them, I feel confident they are doing their best to protect their publisher sites from malicious advertising, so I am probably going to implement their ads again and we'll see how it goes. If we're still having the same problems, then I'll get rid of them, as I did a few months back.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Just please don't put up the talking "congratulations you won" ad. I'd gladly pay extra for its omission.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

That's good information to know as I've become increasingly suspicious that the border ads (not just on this site, but on any site that I or the people that use the pcs at the company I work for) were becoming a primary source of virus transmission. Hopefully other companies besides Burstnet will start cleaning their shit up.

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Any ad that flashes (as in it would induce a seizure for an epileptic) should be avoided as well! Please.
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Favorite VH Album

Today, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Today Honeybabysweetiedoll
    Last Online

08.01.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought no one entered the Links through the main page so why even have new advertising? If you are going to have new advertising then update the Chickenfoot news page from a year ago!
    "It's my life, get off my ass, get outa my face!"

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

The advertising is on every page, not just the front page.

Favorite VH Album

Today, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Today Honeybabysweetiedoll
    Last Online

08.01.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I realize that, my point was that I have mentioned updating the news page in the past and the comments were that no one really comes into the Links from the main page including Brett. If this is the case why would you waste advertising space on a page that no one seems to use?
    "It's my life, get off my ass, get outa my face!"

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

I saw this article this week talking about other sites spreading malware through advertisements. Could this be the same source, Brett?

Yahoo, Fox and Google Inadvertently Spread Malware through Ads
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...e-through-ads/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by IMNSANE View Post
    I realize that, my point was that I have mentioned updating the news page in the past and the comments were that no one really comes into the Links from the main page including Brett. If this is the case why would you waste advertising space on a page that no one seems to use?
    We've already had a huge discussion about changing the front.

BTW, when people search on Google, etc. they are directed to VHLinks.com, not the board. I know how many pageviews the main site gets, that's obviously WHY I have ads on there. It doesn't matter if the news is updated or not.

And the ads I was talking about in this thread are for the forum not the other parts of the site.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

The ads are up. Report in if you have malware issues now. I'd even like to here from those that have had troubles before and now aren't...crossing fingers on that.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Anyone getting weird malware attacks or anything since I put the ads back up?
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

So far, so good!
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I always get adware tracking cookies from burstnet but it could be other sites other than this.

Posted from mobile device.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I was redirected a few minutes ago out of the Talk About Anything Thread. I watched the bar at the bottom of my browser go haywire for a minute or so, everything locked up while this was happening, lots of "adserver" stuff going on. It almost redirected to something called CheapAds, or maybe it was CheapStuff, and it finally took me out and onto the Yahoo Hotjobs page.

However, I'm still running an old version of IE on an old computer, so I'm not necessarily equipped to handle stuff like that anyway. So maybe wait and see if it happens to someone else.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 798 Times in 383 Posts

Premium Member

I was just completely redirected to some yellow pages bullshit ad while making a post in the NBA thread. Totally routed me off of this board and to a yellow pages ad. I x'd out of it thinking it was a pop-up and my browser was gone. No VH Links. Total redirect.

Sucks when you finish writing a post and hit "submit reply" only to be sent completely to some b.s. ad. Makes posting around here kinda scary. I not down with another virus.

I installed Firefox just last night so not using IE.

I used to never get redirects here using IE, just a lot of pop-up's, and a few months ago was hit with some lethal viruses via this site (using IE). But the virus thing stopped when you removed those ads and this site seemed safe again. Yay.
    Now since I've been using Firefox for a just few hours here I was pleased to get no more pop-ups on VHLinks, but that redirect a few moments ago was bad stuff and I notice here that you put that old ad server up again just yesterday. So as much as that Burst ad provider says that they're all neat and cleaned up,,, "quality assurance, blah blah blah", it appears they're completely full of shit.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_