The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

10.27.16 @ 03:30 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 88 Posts

Default Learn To Play Like EDDIE VAN HALEN

Learn To Play Like EDDIE VAN HALEN - Mar. 22, 2010

Lick Library's continually expanding archive of guitar DVD tutorials now includes "Learn To Play Van Halen", "Van Halen The Solos", "Quick Licks Fast Rock in the style of Van Halen" and "Guitar Techniques Van Halen". Acclaimed author and guitar tutor Jamie Humphries presents the "Learn to Play" and "Quick Licks in the style of Van Halen", and the legendary Lick Library co-founder and guitar tutor Stuart Bull presents "Van Halen the Solos" and "Guitar Techniques".

VAN HALEN, the ultimate heavy metal hard rock band that has sold more than 80 million albums worldwide, is fronted by the innovative, energetic guitarist Eddie Van Halen. Eddie Van Halen's distinctive approach to the guitar, combined with his rhythmic sensibility and melodic approach, has influenced an entire generation of guitarists.

"Learn to Play Van Halen" (RRP 24.99): To get the lowdown on five classic VAN HALEN tracks, this guitar workshop has Jamie Humphries take you step by step through "Hot For Teacher", "Panama", "Unchained", "Eruption" and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love". These tracks, spanning the early to mid point of the bands career, allow you to explore plenty of Eddie's famous licks, riffs and tricks including two-handed tapping, dives, pinched harmonics, legato and use of the whammy bar. This guitar double DVD lesson shows you how you can develop the fleet-fingered brilliance of Eddie, the man who inspired a generation of two handed fret-tappers!

"Quick Licks Fast Rock in the style of Van Halen" (RRP 19.99): This DVD guitar lesson with Jamie, gives an in depth look at 25 licks in the style of Eddie Van Halen which can help you get that ultimate Eddie Van Halen "trick bag." The DVD also includes a rock guitar jam track for you to play along to with your newly learnt guitar skills. On top of all that Jamie talks you through the equipment the Eddie uses, giving you sound advice on how to get that true Eddie Van Halen feel in your playing.

"Van Halen The Solos" (RRP 23.99): With a DVD guitar lesson and a CD of guitar jam tracks to practice with, Stuart Bull show you how to play the solos from the timeless "Jump", "Panama", "Beat It", "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" and "Hot For Teacher". Stuart demonstrates the solos at three different tempos fast medium and slow, ensuring, with shots of both hands that you can clearly see what to play, whilst also hearing what it should sound like. Stuart shares with you techniques such as unison bends, raking, muting as well as the famous Eddie Van Halen super shapes.

"Guitar Techniques Van Halen" (RRP 19.99): This two-hour DVD teaches you some of the guitar techniques that influenced a million rock guitarists. Delve into basic tapping techniques with licks, runs bends and scales. Study harmonics open and pinched, with tapping and riffs. Stuart discusses and demonstrates tremolo picking (different ways of getting same effect, arpeggio ideas, within scales), use of tremolo arm licks to get tasty effects (sounds like a horse) and much, much more. is the original and best online musicians' community, where you can register and get discounts on the above DVD sets as well as download tutorials. Each month new lessons are added, and Lick Library broadband TV channel features on demand lessons, live performances and interviews. Remember you can showcase your ever growing talent at Lickspace the musicians meeting point. Upload and share your own audio and video, or create online photo galleries and blogs.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Hot For Teacher

02.15.16 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I came across Licklibrary in 03 and it is by far the best learning site on the web. I dont care how great your chops are you can always learn something there and they have a killer crew of players like the already mentioned Jamie Humphreys, Danny Gill, Mike Casswell,Dave Kilminster, Guthrie Govan and Andy James amongst others. I think it would be hard pressed to find more talent in one place than there.

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.14.14 @ 06:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd like to learn the secret of Ed's tremolo picking. I know that he holds the pick with his middle finger & thumb. I've tried to emulate it, with no luck. Any suggestions?
    "Boards don't hit back" - Bruce Lee

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 09:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ME100472 View Post
    I'd like to learn the secret of Ed's tremolo picking. I know that he holds the pick with his middle finger & thumb. I've tried to emulate it, with no luck. Any suggestions?
    Definitely. That's strict alternate picking there (with tempo/meter variation at will). Alot of trem picking is just arm spazzing (which I still do alot of). Case in point? Practice your ass off - Eddie Van Halen, especially before their debut, was absolutely blazing (AND AFTER - need I mention Spanish fly et al. unless you are happy pulling it off half assed and proclaiming "I did it note for note!" or "I don't care about gettin it spot on!") - sure it can be somewhat easy to spazz it out, but Eddie was flatout flying with his alternate picking/hummingburd technique - what's more amazing is his rhythmic control with the technique - so sorry to say, the only fucking way is to practice your ass off because he is absolutely fucking blazing with that technique...and in case you didn't notice Ed uses a floating picking technique rather than his anchoring the palm on the bridge alternate picking technique - this involves repositioning the fingers, wrist and in turn the elbow and arm - this can be achieved with regular alternate picking - but you have to take into account timbre changes because he is using a floating wrist technique

Edit: Just in case there are any uninformed, Eddie doesn't normally use this technique with his normal alternate picking
    routine - his wrist/hand/arm position are very unorthodox when performing this technique, nevertheless he is still alternate
    picking although at blazing speeds (no we're not talking "youtube I just hit the guiness world record speed), but still very
    rapid nonetheless - and what's all the more annoying (I jest) is his effortless rhythmic and tempo control with the short, Ed isn't normally using arm spazz, although on the 07 tour, amongst other techniques he used to have complete command of, he certainly wasn't up to par
    Last edited by TheMightyCopenHalenII; 03.31.10 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Hummingbird