Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 03:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default what does a used EVH musicman sell for?

what is the going rate for a used EVH ernie ball music man?

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

07.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmf5150 View Post
    what is the going rate for a used EVH ernie ball music man?
    A big factor is the color. What color is it?
    \m/ VH \m/

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

07.27.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Pretty much $1700 - $3500 depending on color, condition, etc. ...............

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Here's a question regarding the necks for you guys, while were on the subject....How are the necks holding up these days? I've read some recent reviews where guys have purchased off Ebay, or CL, and the necks have been in less than stellar condition. ie. twisting, or excessive bowing. Have any of you serious collectors had any issues like this, or is it few and far in between? I'm guessing, obviously if there is a problem, it's gonna get posted, and if there's not, then why bother. Just curious. I know the guitars came with recommendations on neck care like oiling. I'm guessing the problems are coming from lack of care.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:05 PM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Just curious. I know the guitars came with recommendations on neck care like oiling. I'm guessing the problems are coming from lack of care.
    Guy I know said that his EVH was his most loved/hated guitar. Loved playing it but hated messing with the neck - constantly adjusting the truss rod. He said his was like that from day one.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.28.12 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's a question regarding the necks for you guys, while were on the subject....How are the necks holding up these days? I've read some recent reviews where guys have purchased off Ebay, or CL, and the necks have been in less than stellar condition. ie. twisting, or excessive bowing. Have any of you serious collectors had any issues like this, or is it few and far in between? I'm guessing, obviously if there is a problem, it's gonna get posted, and if there's not, then why bother. Just curious. I know the guitars came with recommendations on neck care like oiling. I'm guessing the problems are coming from lack of care.
    I've got three of them, and they are holding up just fine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
    I've got three of them, and they are holding up just fine.
    Good to hear. I was just curious. I hate buying guitars without trying 'em out first, but I've got a real urge to pull the trigger on an original EBMM. Just when I read some of these reviews, I got a bit nervous. I know I could just go out tomorrow and get an Axis, but I love the original switch location personally. I liked it so much in fact, that on a couple builds I did in the mid nineties, I placed it in pretty much the same location. I just found it real handy, and super quick to flick between pickups. I did this on a two HB Strat, and a Tele shaped guitar I built.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    Guy I know said that his EVH was his most loved/hated guitar. Loved playing it but hated messing with the neck - constantly adjusting the truss rod. He said his was like that from day one.
    I always noticed my Axis required regular neck truss rod adjustments--very susceptible to small climate changes. It always seemed the Wolfgangs never needed nearly as much adjusting, and I think that had a lot to do with the graphite reinforcement rods.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    I always noticed my Axis required regular neck truss rod adjustments--very susceptible to small climate changes. It always seemed the Wolfgangs never needed nearly as much adjusting, and I think that had a lot to do with the graphite reinforcement rods.
    My friend has also commented on the stability of the Wolfgang neck. He said he loved the EB EVH but hated maintaining it. Which kinda of questions the Fender EVH... is the evolution from the Peavey just the SS frets, 2-piece neck and indestructible pots? I'm sure the pups have a different tonal quality along with the overall aesthetic differences but has it really improved upon the Peavey?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    My friend has also commented on the stability of the Wolfgang neck. He said he loved the EB EVH but hated maintaining it. Which kinda of questions the Fender EVH... is the evolution from the Peavey just the SS frets, 2-piece neck and indestructible pots? I'm sure the pups have a different tonal quality along with the overall aesthetic differences but has it really improved upon the Peavey?
    The Peaveys were also two-piece necks. The new EVHs are quartersawn rock maple with birdseye fingerboards. The Peaveys were all birdseye. I'd say quartersawn is a plus for added stability. Both have dual graphite reinforcements in the neck.

Is there much of a difference? No, not really. It is fundamentally the same guitar. The pickups even measure almost identical resistance (the unconventional 17k for the neck and 14k for the bridge). EVH went crazy over all the details, but is there really much difference between a four-screw jack plate and a two-screw jack plate? What's the major difference between a Gotoh toggle switch and Switchcraft toggle switch? Between EVH-branded Gotoh tuners and Schaller tuners? The EVH-branded Floyd Rose is made overseas (most likely Korea), and the Peavey licensed Floyd Rose is Ping and made in Taiwan. There were a lot of parallel moves.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:45 AM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

No issues on either of mine, and my pink EBMM is 18 years old.

Also in So Cal we don't get much climate change.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    No issues on either of mine, and my pink EBMM is 18 years old.

Also in So Cal we don't get much climate change.
    That's what I was thinking too. If I did go the Ebay route, I'd probably try for one from Cali or Arizona. LOL. Like I said, not a lot of complaints, but when I saw four or five with the same issue recently, got me wondering if this was a upcoming issue.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

That's what I was thinking too. If I did go the Ebay route, I'd probably try for one from Cali or Arizona. LOL. Like I said, not a lot of complaints, but when I saw four or five with the same issue recently, got me wondering if this was a upcoming issue.
    I think owner care is THE major factor. A neck that has a hard finish is simply going to do better over time because it is in effect sealed. A light oil-finished neck needs to be maintained to stay stable over many years. I live in Minnesota--all four seasons with extremes to boot. We get as hot as 110 and as cold as -20. Humidity in late summer can be like soup, and between the winter dryness and cranking the heat in your house in January, it gets pretty damn dry. My guitars always require significant adjustment every fall once we drop below freezing and again every spring once we thaw. But I'm diligent and careful with my Wolfgangs and other guitars with oil-finished necks; they all get cleaned and oiled (and sometimes waxed) at every string change, with extra oiling of the backs during the winter months. My guitars are in stellar condition--no major issues. It's an easy routine that makes all the difference over time.
    Last edited by AT; 03.23.10 at 03:43 AM.

Eruption
    Last Online

The Peaveys were also two-piece necks. The new EVHs are quartersawn rock maple with birdseye fingerboards. The Peaveys were all birdseye. I'd say quartersawn is a plus for added stability. Both have dual graphite reinforcements in the neck.
    I must've stroked out writing my reply - I forgot to include the quartersawn construction and compound radius which is what I was thinking!

We live Central PA which experiences almost the same climate changes as Minnesota - not near as bad! Climate...definitely an issue!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I think owner care is THE major factor. A neck that has a hard finish is simply going to do better over time because it is in effect sealed. A light oil-finished neck needs to be maintained to stay stable over many years. I live in Minnesota--all four seasons with extremes to boot. We get as hot as 110 and as cold as -20. Humidity in late summer can be like soup, and between the winter dryness and cranking the heat in your house in January, it gets pretty damn dry. My guitars always require significant adjustment every fall once we drop below freezing and again every spring once we thaw. But I'm diligent and careful with my Wolfgangs and other guitars with oil-finished necks; they all get cleaned and oiled (and sometimes waxed) at every string change, with extra oiling of the backs during the winter months. My guitars are in stellar condition--no major issues. It's an easy routine that makes all the difference over time.
    My thoughts exactly Andrew. Most of my necks are oil finished, and I do pretty much the same thing. Not every string change, but I'd say every three or four months, I rub 'em down with gunstock oil. a guy on one of the forums said that the problem comes from the fact that birdseye maple is not really suitable for an oil finish over time. I'm not really sure why, and I hadn't heard that before, however, I do have a birdseye maple Warmoth Tele neck finished in oil that did develop a backbow. In that case however, I have the feeling that the curing/moisture contents between the neck and fingerboard at build may have been the culprit. in other words, the neck itself dried out quicker than the fingerboard, causing it to bow. it buzzed badly between the 7th, and 11th. frets with full releif. My luthier fixed it, and I refretted it. Warmoth considers the warranty void if oil is used, so the fix was on my dime. If it was just another rock maple neck, I would'nt have gone to the trouble, but it was an expensive birdseye neck, so it was worth trying to get it straight again. Still....would'nt be too impressed if I dropped a couple grand on a MM, and having to go through that. Just the chance you take I guess. Still, glad to see most of you have been happy with your purchases.