Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default The Census

So it's that time again.

Who here is anti-census? Who thinks it's a complete invasion of privacy and a tool for the government to manipulate citizens?

I heard the glenn beck wannabes on the radio a few days ago going off on the whole concept of the census.

Anyone not filling it out?

On the other side, who here is balls-out into the idea of the census?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Ya know, I got the thing the other day and for the first time in my life I actually looked at it differently. It used to be I could care less about it. Seemed harmless enough. But now I get a different feeling about it. I'm so disgusted with and untrustworthy of this Obama administration that I actually had this feeling of "I don't trust those fuckers."

Weird, but he and his chronies make me so ill that I feel like I need to hide from them. LOL....
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Ya know, I got the thing the other day and for the first time in my life I actually looked at it differently. It used to be I could care less about it. Seemed harmless enough. But now I get a different feeling about it. I'm so disgusted with and untrustworthy of this Obama administration that I actually had this feeling of "I don't trust those fuckers."

Weird, but he and his chronies make me so ill that I feel like I need to hide from them. LOL....
    Pretty much sums up my feelings as well.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

The Census.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

From one point of view:

If everyone in Arizona filled out the census, then Arizona could pick up two to three more representatives in Congress. Now, considering that the census may count illegals, and illegals can't vote, this is a win-win for the right wing people, which Arizona favors the right more than the left.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I'm so disgusted with and untrustworthy of this Obama administration that I actually had this feeling of "I don't trust those fuckers."

I don't like or trust President Obama, either, but the census has nothing to do with the President.

Quote Originally Posted by xaminer View Post
    From one point of view:
    If everyone in Arizona filled out the census, then Arizona could pick up two to three more representatives in Congress. Now, considering that the census may count illegals, and illegals can't vote, this is a win-win for the right wing people, which Arizona favors the right more than the left.
    THAT'S what it's about! Well...the above answer is not really what I would post, but it's an example. The Census is about demographics and allocation of resources.

Your state's population grew? How much? Where? Oh, I see...you need another representative from your state in DC to be an advocate for your state.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    I don't like or trust President Obama, either, but the census has nothing to do with the President.

It's probably typical right wing talk show babble, but one of the local glen beck wannabes was going nuts last week saying that Obama has taken control of the census and that this is the first year the census is being operated out of the white house rather than an agency.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:06 AM
    Liked 4,798 Times in 2,449 Posts

Premium Member

I am mixed about the Census. I know it has been around forever and it serves a purpose. However I am on a very anti-government kick as of late thanks to the current and former administration so I may not fill it out.

If the whole purpose is for proper representation in Congress then what good is that when they are not following the will of the people? What good is it if they don't follow normal legislative means to pass a trillion dollar bill?

I would think that since we are all supposed to file taxes, can't they retrieve our numbers from the IRS?

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I would think that since we are all supposed to file taxes, can't they retrieve our numbers from the IRS?
    Exactly. It's not as though I live off the grid or something. Between tax returns, property records, driver's licenses, social secutiy info., birth certificates, etc., it's not as though somebosy couldn't get all this information anyways quite easily.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

If the whole purpose is for proper representation in Congress then what good is that when they are not following the will of the people? What good is it if they don't follow normal legislative means to pass a trillion dollar bill?

I understand what you mean. I feel the same way, too. My uncle told me once a long time ago why they can't grab our numbers from the IRS. It's a privacy issue, and the IRS is only about collecting taxes (that's the best I can remember).

However I am on a very anti-government kick as of late thanks to the current and former administration so I may not fill it out.
    I understand what you're saying and feeling here, but this is like voting: it can change the game. I don't know...I'm not happy about how my America is being run right now, but my thing is this: I'm responding to the Census.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

I have no problem with the census. It's not just for determining # of representatives in Washington, but how tax dollars are allotted for programs. Now I say that knowing that it's sitting on my counter at home right now, and I'll probably come up on a question where I'll think "nunya damn business". I probably will answer it anyway.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Default "Negro" option on census offends some.

Reporting
    Christine Sloan
    NEW YORK (CBS) ―

The 2010 census form offers "negro" as a race choice. The option has angered many who find the word offensive.

A fiery blast from the past is conjuring controversy in the new millennium. The word "negro" is now featured on an official U.S. document and now many are questioning if the Census Bureau is being insensitive.

It's a word that many African Americans associate with segregation, so imagine how shocked many were to see it on the 2010 U.S. census form.

"The fact that it's 2010 and they're still putting 'negro,' I am a little offended," said Secaucus resident Dawud Ingram.

Question #9 on the this year's census asks about your race. One of the boxes you can choose is "black," "African American," or "negro," all placed next to the same box. Ingram said it's not a word he uses to identify neither himself nor anybody else.

"African Americans haven't been going by the term 'negro' for decades now. It's really confusing," he said.

But census officials disagree, saying they found some older African Americans identify themselves that way and they're trying to be inclusive. In a statement, they said: "Results from the census in 2000 showed that a number of respondents provided a write-in response of 'negro' when answering the question on race."

In fact, Congress approved the form more than a year ago. Newark resident Jabbar Ali can't believe it.

"I thought it was something we left behind a long time ago – the word 'negro,'" said Ali.

Chanou Wilshire said the census form doesn't give her an option since it's got "African American," "black," and "negro" next to the same box.

"It's highly offensive," she told CBS 2.

But not everyone is offended.

"How you define yourself I guess is subjective. But for me, that on a form doesn't offend me at all," said Brooklyn resident Tiffany Campbell.

Others don't understand why the question of race has to come up on any form.

"I'm an American. What's wrong with just being an American?" asked Newark resident Derri Gowns.

Census bureau officials said they're preparing for the 2020 form, asking folks now in a questionnaire whether the word 'negro' should be removed.

What do you think about the word? Should it be removed? Vote in our poll on the right and leave your comments below!
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I filled it out and mailed it back the same day. No biggie. It took my all of 3 minutes.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    Reporting
    Christine Sloan
    NEW YORK (CBS) ―

The 2010 census form offers "negro" as a race choice. The option has angered many who find the word offensive.

A fiery blast from the past is conjuring controversy in the new millennium. The word "negro" is now featured on an official U.S. document and now many are questioning if the Census Bureau is being insensitive.

It's a word that many African Americans associate with segregation, so imagine how shocked many were to see it on the 2010 U.S. census form.

"The fact that it's 2010 and they're still putting 'negro,' I am a little offended," said Secaucus resident Dawud Ingram.

Question #9 on the this year's census asks about your race. One of the boxes you can choose is "black," "African American," or "negro," all placed next to the same box. Ingram said it's not a word he uses to identify neither himself nor anybody else.

"African Americans haven't been going by the term 'negro' for decades now. It's really confusing," he said.

But census officials disagree, saying they found some older African Americans identify themselves that way and they're trying to be inclusive. In a statement, they said: "Results from the census in 2000 showed that a number of respondents provided a write-in response of 'negro' when answering the question on race."

In fact, Congress approved the form more than a year ago. Newark resident Jabbar Ali can't believe it.

"I thought it was something we left behind a long time ago – the word 'negro,'" said Ali.

Chanou Wilshire said the census form doesn't give her an option since it's got "African American," "black," and "negro" next to the same box.

"It's highly offensive," she told CBS 2.

But not everyone is offended.

"How you define yourself I guess is subjective. But for me, that on a form doesn't offend me at all," said Brooklyn resident Tiffany Campbell.

Others don't understand why the question of race has to come up on any form.

"I'm an American. What's wrong with just being an American?" asked Newark resident Derri Gowns.

Census bureau officials said they're preparing for the 2020 form, asking folks now in a questionnaire whether the word 'negro' should be removed.

What do you think about the word? Should it be removed? Vote in our poll on the right and leave your comments below!

Get over yourselves ya fuckin wanks. Your Negro President sent your negro ass a form to fill out. There's no longer a "right" word for your race because you've grown so fucking sensitive over a category of skin color. Check mark the box you fucking puss, put that shit in the mail, and stfu.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Aside from my correct name and address, I have not filled out one census in Germany with any correct details yet.

Anything on paper will never be read. Those skills and the required patience are long gone. It is 2010.

I did hear, though, about the gps thing going on in the States with the census workers... One wonders...........
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/