Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:49 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

Default Experts debate dangers of wearing popular sheepskin boots

Despite the fact that Uggs and their many knockoff incarnations have long been considered a “fashion don’t,” lots of women love and continue to wear these suede and sheepskin boots all winter long. They’re warm, they’re cozy, they’re easy to throw on with any outfit, they feel like slippers, and they’re a celebrity favorite. Of course this makes the boots very appealing and popular, especially during chillier months. But are they actually good for your feet? Experts say no.
    In a recent Daily Mail article, professionals spoke out about the health risks of wearing cheap, imitation Ugg boots. Dr. Ian Drysdale, the head of the British College of Osteopathic Medicine, said, “Because these boots are warm and soft, young girls think they are giving their feet a break. In fact, they are literally breaking their feet.” Drysdale continued, “Their feet are slipping around inside. With each step, the force falls towards the inside of the foot and the feet splay. This flattens the arch and makes it drop. The result can be significant problems with the foot, the ankle, and ultimately, the hip.”

Does the Ugg boot, which retails for $140 and up, really provide more support than its more affordable imitators? Dr. Rock Positano, Director of the Non-surgical Foot and Ankle Service for the Hospital for Special Surgery, sees no difference. “Whether they are real Uggs or fake Uggs, we’re dealing with footwear that offers no substantial and necessary orthopedic support for the foot and the ankle.” He has many clients come to him with complications from wearing Uggs and pseudo-Uggs. Dr. Jim Christina, a podiatrist and the Director of Scientific Affairs for the American Podiatric Medical Association says, “The knockoffs that have essentially no support probably would be worse than your traditional Ugg boot, but Uggs are not a great supportive type of a footwear. They call them comfort footwear.”

Bearpaw
    As far as either the Uggs or their imitators breaking women’s feet, Dr. Christina thinks that’s an overstatement, but warns that some women have to be very careful. “Everybody’s feet are different,” says Dr. Christina. “Some people have very stable feet that aren’t going to flatten very much, some people have high-arched feet that can actually benefit from something that is absorbent and cushioning, and then some people have feet that flatten excessively. When you get into the latter category, yes, those people should not be doing prolonged walking in any type of footwear that doesn’t provide good support.” Dr. Positano, however, is anti-Ugg across the board. “Whether you have a high arch, or a flat arch, inherently there are issues. You have the support issue under the foot, and the fact that there’s no support around the ankle joint or the Achilles tendon,” says Dr. Positano. And when it comes to affecting children, young ladies, or mature women, he insists, “This type of shoe does not discriminate.”

While Dr. Christina stressed that those with a proclivity to flattening arches would be the ones affected by wearing these shoes, both doctors are in agreement that prolonged walking, standing, and activity in Ugg-like boots could lead to both temporary and long-term problems. “It may manifest as a pain in the arch, the heel, or in their lower legs—some of the muscles have to function differently because they have to compensate for the lack of support,” says Dr. Christina. As the boots place stress on the muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones, everyday use can cause long-term problems for wearers like bunions, hammertoes, arthritis, tendinitis, and issues with their Achilles tendon, knees, hips and lower back. “Most people don’t develop the symptoms until the day after,” says Dr. Positano. “When you’re walking in them, they’re comfortable.” So should women stop wearing Uggs and Ugg knockoffs if they experience discomfort? “It’s probably a prudent idea,” says Dr. Positano, “because nine out of ten times these issues are caused by improper or inadequate foot and ankle support.” Dr. Christina agrees that these types of aches and pains are a warning sign to stop wearing the boots and to look for something that provides more support.

They key is to use your sheepskin boots sparingly or when you know you won’t be doing extensive walking or activity. Just as you shouldn’t wear high heels for an extended period of walking or dancing, keep your Ugg boot wearing to a minimum. For casual wearers who are looking to reinforce their boots for safety, the doctors say that adding supportive insoles would be a great first step. [Daily Mail]
    My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

actually I see photos of women in California wearing these things in the SUMMER with SHORTS

I never see that in this neck of the woods....by summer...we're sick of boots and can't wait to put them away...don't see it in Florida either

I have come to think of Southern California as the land of stinky feet..UGG

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yep...chicks wear these with shorts and short skirts in the spring and summer. They are among the tackiest trends I've ever seen come through the chute.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Yes. Exactly. The human foot must have support. Even worse than the Ugg is to go barefoot. Not only is it incredibly bad for the arch, it is unnatural.

Best stick with stillettos.

Thank god we live in a world where experts are spending their time (and research grants) wisely.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

I know Graeme... the native americans were bitching about lack of foot support centuries ago. Not all that different really.

****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There have been similar articles in recent months about the ballet slipper trend and the flip flop craze, all stating things like ankle and arch support.

Native American mocassins are often sited as being the best most comfortable and supportive footwear around...granted, the people who say that are usually the artists making them.

We used to get lots of people wanting to make/sell their mocs through our gallery and I knew several folks who wore them almost exclusively...yep, they'd have slacks a golf shirt and them mocs. Go figure.

Personally, I need a shoe with good arch and ankle support or I get bad foot aches and lower back aches.

On a woman, I cant stand these ugh boot things, the ballet slippers, flip flops or 95% of open toed shoes. I like boots, chucks, clogs, long tight fitting boots, or fuck-me pumps.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

there's a new trend in barefoot running as motion experts are saying that the shoes we have created for sports are actually causing injury by supporting the foot in an un natural way

but uggs still make your feet stanky

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Last Online

03.10.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

and to add that to someone who already has bad foot odor....
    [On the House Un-American Activities Committee] "They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem."- Humphrey Bogart
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".- George Carlin
    "I just think people should be very free with sex. They should draw the line at goats." - Elton John
    "I'm just trying to figure out why you don’t have any clothes on," the deputy said.

"Me too," Krauss replied.

"Don’t forget! One sperm can ruin your whole day!"

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I actually had no idea what an Ugg was until some Germans told me, literally, a week ago.

However. I cannot think of a better reason for the use of the word "stanky" than this thread.

For now, at least, it is my favourite word.

I am headed out to a beer shop in a minute. I shall fit the word into my evening jolity...

"Guten abend, Wie geht es dir? ahhhh... (rubs chin) Stanky. Wie viel costet das? Ist das gut? Danke. Drei flasche bitte. Danke. Schon abend. Tschuss. Stanky" etc....
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/