Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Can i put a Floyd on an AXIS Sport?

OK...like the titles sais, i'm been offered a nice Musicman Axis SuperSport i think it's called, but it has a none locking trem on it. I would like to put a Standard Original floyd on it. ANyone knows if the holes for a Floyd post will match?...of it it needs new ones?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    OK...like the titles sais, i'm been offered a nice Musicman Axis SuperSport i think it's called, but it has a none locking trem on it. I would like to put a Standard Original floyd on it. ANyone knows if the holes for a Floyd post will match?...of it it needs new ones?
    hhhhmmm...tricky, from the pics i can find they look like themight match up but i wouldnt want to put money on it(without knowing the measurements), the only thing i can see that would make me inclined to think that it could is the fact they make a supersport with a floyd, so maybe they are interchangeable.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,296 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't think they do. I was looking to put a Floyd on my OLP and I was told on the EBMM forums it would difficult and pricey.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I don't think they do. I was looking to put a Floyd on my OLP and I was told on the EBMM forums it would difficult and pricey.
    i doubt pricey.it's just a question of doing new holes if they don't match

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,296 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

i doubt pricey.it's just a question of doing new holes if they don't match
    Well I was going to do a complete overhaul of the pickups, tuners and tremolo so it was going to be pricey.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Is it the Axis SuperSport w/vintage tremolo? If you look at the posts on an original floyd, they are past the plastic bobbin area on a trem spaced pickup. The posts on the Axis SuperSport w/ vintage tremolo are inside the bobbin area - regardlesss if the pickup is trem spaced or not.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    Is it the Axis SuperSport w/vintage tremolo? If you look at the posts on an original floyd, they are past the plastic bobbin area on a trem spaced pickup. The posts on the Axis SuperSport w/ vintage tremolo are inside the bobbin area - regardlesss if the pickup is trem spaced or not.
    yeah, i just noticed that too. looks like at the very least there would be some drilling involved, you may also have to do some extra routing.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

THanks for the info guys. I was offered this guitar, see picts, in trade for a Tele i made. Even without a floyd, it looks like a sweet axe. Top is very nice.

Eruption
    Last Online

THanks for the info guys. I was offered this guitar, see picts, in trade for a Tele i made. Even without a floyd, it looks like a sweet axe. Top is very nice.

WOW - I like it! That guitar looks too sweet to risk FUBARin'. It might be worth trying if it were a total beater - and then probably not!

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WOW - I like it! That guitar looks too sweet to risk FUBARin'. It might be worth trying if it were a total beater - and then probably not!
    it's brand new basicaly..bought in december 2009.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Definately, a Floyd can be installed. As said above, you WILL need to plug the original closer spaced trem post holes, and drill new ones. Also in regard to the top, it may....may, need clearancing on the arm side, though your trem, at least in the pic looks quite broad side to side. Hmmmm. It most likely will need a little clearancing, as most standard non locking trems are narrower side to side, and the top is of course routed for a fit fairly close to the block. The arm sockets on newer Floyds are usually quite bulky, and you will probably have interference issues. I did on a recent build, but it was primarily when you'd use the arm....the socket would hit the backside corner of the route, so all I had to do was use a Dremel drum sander to angle cleance the corner without even having to break through to the top. I then touched up the area with black poly to seal it. Looks pro. You should'nt have to do any mod to the back trem cavity. Their real close to the standard Fender routing, and Floyds after all, being designed originally to retrofit are fine. Beautiful guitar alain!
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 03.17.10 at 11:41 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Last Online

it's brand new basicaly..bought in december 2009.
    IF you were to follow through with the Floyd conversion, I wonder if just replacing the nut with a locking nut would work? might be interesting to try first...I'd NEVER do it! Looks too good!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

IF you were to follow through with the Floyd conversion, I wonder if just replacing the nut with a locking nut would work? might be interesting to try first...I'd NEVER do it! Looks too good!
    He could try locking Sperzels? I know.....not AS stable as a an actual locking nut, but with a standard slot sized roller nut, it would be decent. I friend of mine uses this config. and he's pretty hard on the whammy, and his tuning remains very stable.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do the trade. Worry about the floyd later...

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Super-nice guitar. Don't fuck with it.