Register
Page 92 of 106 FirstFirst ... 428289909192939495102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1576
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.19 @ 08:04 PM
    Liked 2,392 Times in 1,615 Posts

I see these ads on Facebook for T-shirt’s that i’m Fairly certain are not band licensed but you see Waters or McCartney or Bono or someone holding the shirt up to legitimatize it. Gotta think they are photo shopping their heads onto someone who was holding up the shirt, or are there all these pictures of rockers holding up blank t-shirts so someone can introduce their own design to the photograph and market it? Or are they actually legitimate? (Like the one with Waters holding up a “Dark Side Of The Moon” T-shirt that included the band’s facsimile autographs - including Barrett’s!)
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.13.19 @ 11:38 AM
    Liked 12,643 Times in 6,926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I see these ads on Facebook for T-shirt’s that i’m Fairly certain are not band licensed but you see Waters or McCartney or Bono or someone holding the shirt up to legitimatize it. Gotta think they are photo shopping their heads onto someone who was holding up the shirt, or are there all these pictures of rockers holding up blank t-shirts so someone can introduce their own design to the photograph and market it? Or are they actually legitimate? (Like the one with Waters holding up a “Dark Side Of The Moon” T-shirt that included the band’s facsimile autographs - including Barrett’s!)
    I think they'd get a cease & desist, if they photoshopped their likeness.

You could sell a "Make America great, again" t-shirt, and put Bono's head
    on it.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.19 @ 10:35 PM
    Liked 1,764 Times in 938 Posts

Premium Member

Plini is one of the best of the modern players out there. Love Rick's breakdown of this tune.

Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.13.19 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 4,912 Times in 2,221 Posts

Been working with Spencer Proffer on a few projects with my entertainment division. One of them involves Elvis 68 Comeback Special so combed through a lot has crossed my desk. Thought this was neat

6. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 02:34 AM
    Liked 11,978 Times in 6,730 Posts

So we're just returning from mont tremblant (resort town in Quebec) and last night the entertainment in the main square was a cover band (Raffy) from the area. They were great and their last two songs really showed off the power of a true hit song. They closed with you give love a bad name and then summer of 69. You'd swear the crowd was at a bon jovi or bryan adams show. The crowd handled the choruses and seemed to know the verses word for word. This is a majority french speaking crowd knowing the words to two english songs that came out 30+ years ago that they weren't expecting to hear. The power of music.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.19 @ 09:21 PM
    Liked 27,017 Times in 13,637 Posts

I think it has almost come full circle now and that Elvis doesn't get the credit he is due.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

12.13.19 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 2,024 Times in 1,160 Posts

Premium Member

Against my better judgement, here I am driving a crowd of as many as 10 people wild with my first public adventure covering "Seasons of Wither." Fuck ups and all! The camera person missed the part where I yelled at the sound crew about their blowers.

https://www.facebook.com/20777588889...10870/?app=fbl

(On second thought, maybe I should've put this in "Pimp Your Band," but whatever. Move it, if necessary! My apologies if anyone is overstimulated by this epic performance.)
    Last edited by ArtyBoy; 07.20.19 at 08:14 PM.

10. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Against my better judgement, here I am driving a crowd of as many as 10 people wild with my first public adventure covering "Seasons of Wither." Fuck ups and all! The camera person missed the part where I yelled at the sound crew about their blowers.

https://www.facebook.com/20777588889...10870/?app=fbl

(On second thought, maybe I should've put this in "Pimp Your Band," but whatever. Move it, if necessary! My apologies if anyone is overstimulated by this epic performance.)
    You should have introduced the song by saying:

True story.
    One night we found this old acoustic in a dumpster, and i took it downstairs
    and started writing this song...

Your version sounds happier, with the capo & higher key.
    It sounds a bit more country style, in a way.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    You should have introduced the song by saying:

True story.
    One night we found this old acoustic in a dumpster, and i took it downstairs
    and started writing this song...

Your version sounds happier, with the capo & higher key.
    It sounds a bit more country style, in a way.
    In my intro I said, "This is a band that gets lumped in with hair metal sometimes these days, but they actually came out long before that, and I think they're deeper than that. This song is an example."

Then when I was done I said, "So does anybody know who that was?" No one knew! Not even the long haired guy to the left who said he was a big Alice Cooper fan. So I told them about Steven and the story of the dumpster guitar.

Now I get what capos are for. When you play a song like "Seasons of Wither," you need the open strings. But in the key of E some of the verse was too low for me and it sounded like a record on the wrong speed. So with the capo you can change the key but keep the open string riff. Most songs on acoustic use the G, C and D chords because they have the most open strings that give you the overtones and sustain that make an acoustic sound good (with an electric it's the preamp that gives you the overtones). If you switch to barre chords, you loose that shimmer and sustain. So the capo lets you change the key but keep the resonance of open strings.

What was also nuts was when I opened my eyes and sang the "love for the devil brought her to me" line, this blonde haired girl in denim shorts who was probably no more than 19 was walking down the little hallway straight across from me with some of her hot friends behind her. I thought, "THIS IS SURREAL!" A couple of the baristas there were really hot, too. (Not interested in someone as old as their dad, though, so far as I could tell.)

I just can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm having a total blast. Just a little while ago, even if everyone sang "Happy Birthday" at an office birthday party, I wouldn't join in. Now I'm sitting in front of strangers presenting myself as a "singer." But it's fun, it's like you get to be your own DJ and do a little variety show, and you also get to interface with creative-minded people, who I don't normally meet in my everyday life. Nice to find yourself doing things you didn't think you could do at the late age of 48.

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

In my intro I said, "This is a band that gets lumped in with hair metal sometimes these days, but they actually came out long before that, and I think they're deeper than that. This song is an example."

Then when I was done I said, "So does anybody know who that was?" No one knew! Not even the long haired guy to the left who said he was a big Alice Cooper fan. So I told them about Steven and the story of the dumpster guitar.

Now I get what capos are for. When you play a song like "Seasons of Wither," you need the open strings. But in the key of E some of the verse was too low for me and it sounded like a record on the wrong speed. So with the capo you can change the key but keep the open string riff. Most songs on acoustic use the G, C and D chords because they have the most open strings that give you the overtones and sustain that make an acoustic sound good (with an electric it's the preamp that gives you the overtones). If you switch to barre chords, you loose that shimmer and sustain. So the capo lets you change the key but keep the resonance of open strings.

What was also nuts was when I opened my eyes and sang the "love for the devil brought her to me" line, this blonde haired girl in denim shorts who was probably no more than 19 was walking down the little hallway straight across from me with some of her hot friends behind her. I thought, "THIS IS SURREAL!" A couple of the baristas there were really hot, too. (Not interested in someone as old as their dad, though, so far as I could tell.)

I just can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm having a total blast. Just a little while ago, even if everyone sang "Happy Birthday" at an office birthday party, I wouldn't join in. Now I'm sitting in front of strangers presenting myself as a "singer." But it's fun, it's like you get to be your own DJ and do a little variety show, and you also get to interface with creative-minded people, who I don't normally meet in my everyday life. Nice to find yourself doing things you didn't think you could do at the late age of 48.
    It takes balls to do it, man, especially alone with an acoustic & mic, and i think it's great.

You are pretty nimble on that acoustic, chord wise.
    Do you find yourself spending more time with it, than your beloved SG & LP?

Do you find yourself leaning more towards it, and writing tunes, since you're
    doing intimate club settings & coffee houses?

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.19 @ 02:56 AM
    Liked 2,565 Times in 1,579 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    So we're just returning from mont tremblant (resort town in Quebec) and last night the entertainment in the main square was a cover band (Raffy) from the area. They were great and their last two songs really showed off the power of a true hit song. They closed with you give love a bad name and then summer of 69. You'd swear the crowd was at a bon jovi or bryan adams show. The crowd handled the choruses and seemed to know the verses word for word. This is a majority french speaking crowd knowing the words to two english songs that came out 30+ years ago that they weren't expecting to hear. The power of music.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Power of music....you said it well!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

It takes balls to do it, man, especially alone with an acoustic & mic, and i think it's great.

You are pretty nimble on that acoustic, chord wise.
    Do you find yourself spending more time with it, than your beloved SG & LP?

Do you find yourself leaning more towards it, and writing tunes, since you're
    doing intimate club settings & coffee houses?
    At the moment, it feels like acoustic instruments are natural like Grape Nuts, and electric seems like additives and artificial flavors, like Cap'n Crunch. Or the difference in being in the woods listening to the birds chirp and then going to the city and seeing asphalt. But it may just be the kick I'm on.

These days I head straight for the acoustic room at Guitar Center. The funny thing is I got this used Yamaha electric-acoustic for $159 shipped from Guitar Center, but when you go to these open mic things, everyone shows up with expensive Martins, Taylors and Gibsons, or some boutique brand. I've had more than one person say, "When you get further into this you'll want to get something better." Just because I've got a Yamaha they think I'm a total newb! But it feels great when they go up there with a $3,000 Martin and put everybody into a coma, and I go up there with this $159 one and actually get people to look up from their beers for at least a moment and get involved. Eddie showed us it's not how much you spend on the guitar, folks!

But it's really daunting. This isn't even an entertainment hub, and there are tons of people here who can sing and write songs as well as anyone you've ever heard, leagues and leagues more talent than me, but they're just playing in the corner while people eat hamburgers. They're in their late teens to early 30's and still look great, so it's not like they're fat and ugly, either. Maybe it's because John Mayer launched from here, but there are plenty where he came from who are going in circles, spinning their wheels. But oh, well. I'm just glad to know I'm trying it. I like looking at a roomful of strangers and seeing if I can get them to react.

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Maybe i'll pull out my GF's Baby Taylor!

She ain't playing it.

One of many guitar selling regrets i have, is this Canadian brand acoustic i had,
    called Seagull.

That thing sounded & played like a million bucks, but i got it so cheap off eBay.
    It even had the solid top.

I'd play my electric, no one cared.

But i'd start playing that Seagull, and suddenly i was "sensitive & really talented."

But i think it was because that guitar just sounded so Rustic, deep & good.
    You'd hit a D, or arpeggiate chords, and suddenly you got the gift.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Maybe i'll pull out my GF's Baby Taylor!
    I think what I like about it, and what I'll have that's different from most, is that I loved David Letterman, of course, and did a small town radio show for awhile and the podcast, so this is like I get to MC my own variety show. It's also great to get to have an idea and take it straight to an audience without having to pull teeth with bandmates.

This is the clip that gave me the nerve to sing in public. I've heard Townes Van Zandt referenced for years but had never heard his music. He's certainly no Steven Tyler, but in the world he's famous in he's just as revered. Then I read he was from a very wealthy Texas family that founded the city of Ft. Worth, and I never doubt the impact things like that have in how far somebody goes. John Prine is another guy who's no American Idol winner but plays to thousands.

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

I think what I like about it, and what I'll have that's different from most, is that I loved David Letterman, of course, and did a small town radio show for awhile and the podcast, so this is like I get to MC my own variety show. It's also great to get to have an idea and take it straight to an audience without having to pull teeth with bandmates.

This is the clip that gave me the nerve to sing in public. I've heard Townes Van Zandt referenced for years but had never heard his music. He's certainly no Steven Tyler, but in the world he's famous in he's just as revered. Then I read he was from a very wealthy Texas family that founded the city of Ft. Worth, and I never doubt the impact things like that have in how far somebody goes. John Prine is another guy who's no American Idol winner but plays to thousands.

Steve Earle, too.

You should do your own "Nebraska," but call it, "Atlanta."

My gift was always in writing lyrics.
    I just like to create stories and write down observations.

You should write some stuff from your perspective, your town, even the dark stuff,
    and put it to music, just like Bruce did.

Just don't adopt a Woody Guthrie vocal approach, later in life!

20. The Following Member Likes This Post: