Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Wanted: decent pic of Franky with brass bridge

I think the first album cover is all the evidence of this setup but could be wrong. any pics would be appreciated.
    Cheers!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Honestly, I have never seen any other published pictures of the B/W Franky with equipped with this Mighty Mite bridge...

...in any event, all indications are that it may have been a very temporary installation.
    Last edited by jimi11580; 03.11.10 at 02:17 PM.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow, that's a stretch...

Thanks for the reply!

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by YMI5150? View Post
    wow, that's a stretch...
    What's a stretch? That there's no other photos? Of course there are additional Franky photos from the VH I shoot, but I have never seen any of them.
    What exactly are you trying to find out about that bridge anyway?
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that's my initial reaction when I see conclusions from stuff that's so hard to make out. Its there no doubt...

Unfortunately I've joined the alliance to try to figure out what the guitar configuration was that we hear on VH1 (for tunes with tremolo). Lots of speculation on pretty much every part of the guitar. Sort of a waste of energy but fun nonetheless...

Eruption
    Last Online

that's my initial reaction when I see conclusions from stuff that's so hard to make out. Its there no doubt..
    Well, you don't have to believe me, but consider this: that particular bridge ended up on the "Hydra"...

You see the distinctive "tear-shaped" openings in the saddles? It's the same bridge.

Unfortunately I've joined the alliance to try to figure out what the guitar configuration was that we hear on VH1 (for tunes with tremolo).
    It's all pure speculation at best and completely impossible to prove one way or the other thirty-two years later! Some swear it was the black Strat w/rosewood neck, others say it was the B/W Franky with maple neck and Mighty Mite bridge... what difference does it really make in the final analysis? It's like theoretical physicists, they can talk about light speed, black holes etc, but none of them have ever seen, much less experienced, these phenomena.

Lots of speculation on pretty much every part of the guitar. Sort of a waste of energy but fun nonetheless...
    See above.
    Last edited by jimi11580; 03.12.10 at 03:11 PM.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i had a feeling I would be misiterpreted. I believe you brother. Its just funny how we have to resort to 8 pixels per foot to make heads or tails of some of this stuff...

its a mystery why it was on Frank for such a short period of time.

regarding the VH1 setup, I bit on the MightyMite vintage pup being the pup on the album and found a NOS 70s pup that's never been wired, actually got a distortion too. stoked to try them regardless of whether or not they were THE pup or not.

its all such a small part of the equation, relative to the amp, cab, EQs, slave setup, etc.... all i have out of that chain is a box with greenbacks in it...need to focus on the bigger stuff but its all so addicting.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't forget the cancer causing metal pick!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I read a lot of the VH threads over at the metroamp forum. I agree that this tone chasing can be quite addicting. The problem with chasing that VH1 guitar tone is that I think a good amount of it was done post production, out of Ed's reach. It was the album where Ed had the least amount of control over the finished product, and he has said that he disliked his tone on that album. Isn't it ironic that the VH1 tone is the one that everyone is chasing most of all? Don't forget that he was mixing Jensen speakers back then along with the Greenbacks (or were they Blackbacks?).

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

agreed. I thought he really hated the second album, or was it just the Bee guitar...
    in any case, I'm trying to chill a bit. and yes, they were D120s but off an on so another possibility for whats on the record but no facts...

dimed plexi for sure, possibly slaved

Last Online

Yeah, he didn't like the sound of that black and yellow Charvel- too shrill. That's probably why he eventually gave that guitar to be buried with Dimebag, rusty strings and all. I don't believe it was used on the VHII album, it was only ready for the photo shoot.

The latest theories are dimed plexi hit in the front with mxr 6 band eq (sometimes 10 band), no slaving on the early albums. That may change by next week as more late 70's bootlegs are analyzed... LOL

Eruption
    Last Online

agreed. I thought he really hated the second album, or was it just the Bee guitar...
    Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Yeah, he didn't like the sound of that black and yellow Charvel- too shrill. That's probably why he eventually gave that guitar to be buried with Dimebag, rusty strings and all.
    Think about this, gentleman: if he hated the black and yellow Charvel so much, why did he play that guitar live for the 1978...

.. 1979...

...and 1980 tours...

... and, according to a very reliable EVH guitars source, actually bring it along for the 1981 Fair Warning tour? That hardly indicates any hatred or persistent frustration with that guitar!

The hatred, as it turns out, was really directed at Grover Jackson who, at the time, was selling striped-up Charvels for a grand a piece and passing them off as the "Eddie Van Halen Model" without Ed's permission! Ed was furious!
    Ed obviously did not want to further Jackson's sales of those guitars by raving about them so, that explains why he made certain comments about that guitar. Ed even went as far as to file a "cease and desist" order (shade of things to come) against Charvel and the rest is history. Imagine how different things would have been if Ed had endorsed Charvel...

I don't believe it was used on the VHII album, it was only ready for the photo shoot.
    Supposedly it was... for one song. And there is proof that it was at least present at the VH II sessions!
    Here's Ed during those at Sunset...

...here's Ed on the say day (clothes, hair are the same) holding the VH II...
    Last edited by jimi11580; 03.13.10 at 07:29 AM.
    WGAF?!!

Last Online

Thanks as always Jimi for the images from your archives. The only thing I recall reading was that he didn't like the sound of that guitar recorded in the studio. And did I read first, second, or third hand accounts, who knows. Obviously yes, he played it live for several years. Sometimes I think it would be easier to document a "second shooter on the grassy knoll" theory from the JFK assassination, when compared to determining which bridge/pickup/neck Ed had on which guitar at what time.

I always loved the paint job on that Charvel guitar, ever since picking up the VHII album a few days after it was released. I was looking at picking up one of the EVH Art Series Charvels in that color scheme a few years ago but I decided that it creeped me out too much to think that the original is buried in a coffin. It was a nice gesture though...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this is sort of off topic but the underlying reason for my request for the pic is to try to piece together the Frank configuration on the first album.

I'm wondering if its possible that its this simple:

It is somewhat tough to hear that there are two different guitars on that album, certainly similar in tone. that alone could bring up a debate but lets go with it.

we do know that the destroyer was

heavy northern ash (called Korina as trade name)
    brass bridge and nut
    rosewood fretboard
    either the stock super 70s pup or MM or hybrid. call that a big ?

could he have thought to try to make the config as close to the same as possible

Frank was heavy northern ash
    58 strat components from burst strat including rosewood neck to match shark
    brass bridge and nut to match shark
    similar pup or tweak pup to match overall tone to destroyer

thoughts?

Eruption
    Last Online

Thanks as always Jimi for the images from your archives. The only thing I recall reading was that he didn't like the sound of that guitar recorded in the studio. And did I read first, second, or third hand accounts, who knows. Obviously yes, he played it live for several years. Sometimes I think it would be easier to document a "second shooter on the grassy knoll" theory from the JFK assassination, when compared to determining which bridge/pickup/neck Ed had on which guitar at what time.
    Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Somewhere out there, in Ed's vault of unreleased video material, is the equivalent of the VH Zapruder Film with the answers to many questions!

I always loved the paint job on that Charvel guitar, ever since picking up the VHII album a few days after it was released.
    I feel the same way.

I was looking at picking up one of the EVH Art Series Charvels in that color scheme a few years ago but I decided that it creeped me out too much to think that the original is buried in a coffin. It was a nice gesture though...
    It was a nice gesture on Ed's part, a really nice gesture... but, I tell you, the fact that it's buried with Dime (RIP) wouldn't preclude me from owning one.
    WGAF?!!