Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Default 2010 Little League Thread

Its that time of year again and depending on where you live its also time for the kiddies to start their little league season.
    After taking last year off, I am back coaching and this evening we had our first practice and I must say that I think I have my infield sorted out already. My third baseman and shortstop swallow up everything hit their way. Its almost like I have young versions of Brooks Robinson and Ozzie Smith there. My second baseman isn't to bad himself and same for my first baseman. Now I have to work out just who my pitchers will be as well on Saturday's practice. I have my own son who is a lefty, and 4 or 5 others that I think will be used as well to start season and perhaps see how the others develop.
    I also have a lineup with some serious pop and of course a couple of weaker hitter as well.

How are everyone's teams looking?
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:29 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

we've got two games in and we're either 1-1 or 0-1-1. My scorebook had 6-6 when the last game was called, the other team was keeping the official score and they had us up 7-6. Wasn't about to argue. I think they counted a run that the umpire said he disallowed because the kid slid head-first into the plate.

My son didn't get on his horse soon enough and so he missed tryouts and they placed him on a minor team, instead of in the majors where he definitely would've been. I don't mind, because all the years we've been there, he hasn't had a chance to play for his current coach, and he's (in my opinion) one of the best ones there. Plus, with my luck, they would've placed him on the Major Yankees instead of the Major Dodgers! As it is, he's a Red.
    Only bummer is seeing some of the kids they put on the major teams - kids that were on our team last year that weren't very good at all and I doubt they've improved that much. In fact, one of the kids, who didn't hit a single ball at all last spring, had the gall to tell my son he was better than him because he's in the majors and my son is in the minors. I hope the kid was joking, because he's not a bad kid and he does really try out there, but even his dad was telling me that he's not really improving.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Its all coming together now as far as my infield, including pitchers and catchers. Outfield is a work in progress but I think we will be fine. Alot of power on this team, should be a run producing squad, looking forward to April 5th and the first game.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    Its all coming together now as far as my infield, including pitchers and catchers. Outfield is a work in progress but I think we will be fine. Alot of power on this team, should be a run producing squad, looking forward to April 5th and the first game.
    Scimmaged another team this morning and we smoked them 9-0 in a 4 inning game.
    My best pitcher pitched 3 innings and gave up one infield hit (37 pitches total), I let my son pitch the 4th inning and he gave up 1 lead off hit and struckout the side.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

morning practice/scrimmage on a week day? You folks are hard core!

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    morning practice/scrimmage on a week day? You folks are hard core!
    School vacation week. Gotta give them something to do ya know.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Are the parents on vacation, too, or do you have a team bus? My kids are off this week, too, bit if coach called a daytime practice, he's walking the six miles!

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Are the parents on vacation, too, or do you have a team bus? My kids are off this week, too, bit if coach called a daytime practice, he's walking the six miles!
    We are a pretty rural area so it gives the kids something to do.
    I have 11 kids on my team and only 9 made it, it was optional and I talked to the parents first if they were up for it.
    The other team BTW had their whole squad show up (12 kids).
    I hear what you are saying about the parents being off, and alot of the moms don't work in this area it does seem. What I always had a hard time figuring out was how some of these teams can have their regular practices at 3 or 4 on weekdays and I can barely make it to mine at 4:30 on time from work.
    I was off all week too, we went camping at Santa Cruz last weekend until Wednesday.
    Last edited by Eddymon; 04.02.10 at 07:14 PM.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Ended up with a bye on Tuesday, first game this evening. The kids and I are ready to go!

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Blew a 7-1 3rd inning lead on Friday Night and lost 9-7.
    Rallied from being down 3-1 in the 4th yesterday and won 6-3.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

we are 1-3 now, where is the production from my top 4 hitters? My bottom half of the lineup has actually been doing pretty well getting on base only to have the top 4 not bring them home. Then there are the freaking walks followed by a big hit by the other teams.
    The biggest thing though is that they are having fun still and that my son is finally starting to hit like I know he can and is workng his way up the batting order to #5 now, possibly #4.
    The weather here has been a pain in the ass and its been a crappy by (our standards) spring so far with some colder rain storms and then a few nice days. Hopefully we can play tomorrow, but it doesn't look good.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

We seem to keep on having horrible first innings and have to battle back and fall just short. We are currently 2-5 with 2 of those losses being blowouts. Too many walks and my outfielders can't catch the damn flyballs!

But we are having fun and the kids aren't down.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Playing much better of late (4 wins in a row) and with only 3 games left we have gotten to .500 one of those wins was against a team that beat us 19-6 earlier in the season and we came back to beat them in the last inning 11-8.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll pop in here and do a little bragging. My 8yr old is by far, not the best on the team but on Friday, he had an outstanding game. He was pitching and was doing good because he was getting it over the plate and the other team was getting hits (this is their first year pitching with combined coach pitch and they are just learning so it okay for it not to be strike outs right now). Anyway, he threw a pitch, the kid batting hit it and my son caught the ball and then turned around and threw to the baseman for another out which made the third and ended the game. I was so excited for him because the whole team was congratulating him on the double play. Like I said, he's not great so it was a huge boost for his confidence.

At this age, we are not supposed to keep score but our team has won all the games by my count. It's fun to watch how they look at the first practice of the year and then compare to how they develop throughout the season.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

I always like to see the young ones make a play like that. Has to be good for their morale and athletic confidence as well.