Register
    Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Wilson County child's shooting death blamed on gun-Wii mix-up

Wilson County child's shooting death blamed on gun-Wii mix-up

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...gun-Wii+mix-up

NORENE, Tenn. — A mix-up between a Wii game and a .380 caliber pistol led a 3-year-old to pluck the real gun from an end table and shoot herself in the abdomen, ending her life, Wilson County Sheriff Terry Ashe said.

Cheyenne Alexis McKeehan's stepfather, Douglas Cronberger, and her mother, Tina Ann Cronberger, both 32, were inside their rural Norene home when the child shot herself Sunday night. Her mother was on the computer just a few feet away, Ashe said.

Douglas Cronberger usually kept his gun unloaded and in a cabinet. However, on Saturday night, Cronberger got out his gun, loaded it and went outside to look for what he thought was a prowler. When he came back inside, he put the gun on an end table in the living room and forgot about it, according to a Sheriff's Department statement.

The statement also said Cheyenne learned how to use a gun from playing a Nintendo Wii game for days.

"The big message we're trying to tell parents is if you've got a gun, put it up, especially if you have children," Ashe said.

Physicians at University Medical Center in Lebanon pronounced Cheyenne dead just after her arrival.

Her body was taken to the state medical examiner's office for an autopsy Monday. There are no criminal charges pending, but the sheriff's office will turn information culled in its investigation over to prosecutors.

At the Cronbergers' cream-colored mobile home on Monday, cars
    sat in the driveway but no one answered the door. A large, white dog with one blue eye and one brown eye greeted anyone who approached. A child's plastic toy kitchen set was beside the steps, near a brown welcome mat that said, "Bless this home."

Although McKeehan lived in Norene, a tiny, unincorporated community between Watertown and Lebanon, she attended preschool at Southside Elementary School in Lebanon.

"I feel like someone just stabbed me in the heart," said Southside Principal Danny Hill on Monday, after learning about the death. "Cheyenne attended Mrs. Susan Casner's afternoon preschool class."

Hill was vacationing in Florida for spring break. He said Cheyenne's teacher described her as "a sweet, spunky little girl who will be sadly missed."

Ashe said a 1-year-old also lived in the Cronberger home.

Partlow Funeral Home in Lebanon is handling arrangements but not releasing details at the family's request.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

how very sad.

but

why leave an unattended gun on an end table while theres a child in the house.
    the adults in this household should be held to account, yes its tragic but it was avoidable, such a shame that a child had to die for someone to learn a lesson, something that they should have know all along.

my thoughts are with the family.
    Last edited by tommywho5150; 03.09.10 at 12:30 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

What a shame. How can parents be so neglectful?

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    What a shame. How can parents be so neglectful?
    Tennesse...mobile home...probably people who shouldn't be reproducing anyway.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 6,692 Times in 3,712 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    Tennesse...mobile home...probably people who shouldn't be reproducing anyway.
    You realize this story is about a dead 3 year old kid, right?

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    You realize this story is about a dead 3 year old kid, right?
    Yep. Because of stupid parents.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    Wilson County child's shooting death blamed on gun-Wii mix-up

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...gun-Wii+mix-up

NORENE, Tenn. — A mix-up between a Wii game and a .380 caliber pistol led a 3-year-old to pluck the real gun from an end table and shoot herself in the abdomen, ending her life, Wilson County Sheriff Terry Ashe said.

Cheyenne Alexis McKeehan's stepfather, Douglas Cronberger, and her mother, Tina Ann Cronberger, both 32, were inside their rural Norene home when the child shot herself Sunday night. Her mother was on the computer just a few feet away, Ashe said.

Douglas Cronberger usually kept his gun unloaded and in a cabinet. However, on Saturday night, Cronberger got out his gun, loaded it and went outside to look for what he thought was a prowler. When he came back inside, he put the gun on an end table in the living room and forgot about it, according to a Sheriff's Department statement.

The statement also said Cheyenne learned how to use a gun from playing a Nintendo Wii game for days.

"The big message we're trying to tell parents is if you've got a gun, put it up, especially if you have children," Ashe said.

Physicians at University Medical Center in Lebanon pronounced Cheyenne dead just after her arrival.

Her body was taken to the state medical examiner's office for an autopsy Monday. There are no criminal charges pending, but the sheriff's office will turn information culled in its investigation over to prosecutors.

At the Cronbergers' cream-colored mobile home on Monday, cars
    sat in the driveway but no one answered the door. A large, white dog with one blue eye and one brown eye greeted anyone who approached. A child's plastic toy kitchen set was beside the steps, near a brown welcome mat that said, "Bless this home."

Although McKeehan lived in Norene, a tiny, unincorporated community between Watertown and Lebanon, she attended preschool at Southside Elementary School in Lebanon.

"I feel like someone just stabbed me in the heart," said Southside Principal Danny Hill on Monday, after learning about the death. "Cheyenne attended Mrs. Susan Casner's afternoon preschool class."

Hill was vacationing in Florida for spring break. He said Cheyenne's teacher described her as "a sweet, spunky little girl who will be sadly missed."

Ashe said a 1-year-old also lived in the Cronberger home.

Partlow Funeral Home in Lebanon is handling arrangements but not releasing details at the family's request.
    FIRST OFF: I completely resent the story's headline. Why not blame the death on the idiot dad who left his gun on the table? That's where the real blame lies.

Secondly: you guys notice how the article describes the home quite specifically?

were inside their rural Norene home

cream-colored mobile home on Monday

A child's plastic toy kitchen set was beside the steps, near a brown welcome mat that said, "Bless this home."

They paint a very specific image of of a rural, mobile home with the kitchen set outside and the kitschy quasi-religious floor mat.

I wonder if the author was trying to forward a stereotype of trailer park hillybilly trash or if they were trying to humanize and engender sympathy by showing a down-home loving and humble family.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 6,692 Times in 3,712 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    Yep. Because of stupid parents.
    i understand this, just thought joking about it was a tad inappropriate.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

it seems to me that the step father had no idea about gun saftey, even if you ignore the fact he left a loaded gun on an endtable near a child.
    basic common sense would have at least told him to make sure the saftey was on, how on earth can a Wii game teach a child to take the saftey catch off and then cock a gun???

im all for gun ownership, and i wish we in the U.K. were still allowed to own handguns, but surely some sort of I.Q regulation should be brought into force, i mean this guy must have had the barin of a tomato for this to have happened
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.06.14 @ 12:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

You people have no class at all!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

My heart goes out to the family, they'll never get over this.

A former co-worker of mine, young guy of 22, lost a child last year in similar circumstances. His four-year-old got his hands on a .40 caliber handgun, put it against his 2-year-old brother's forehead, and pulled the trigger. Dad and his 21-year-old wife, who was home at the time on the couch watching TV, were charged with a misdemeanor, but they were told by law enforcement that if the cops didn't feel so sorry for them, they could have been charged with a much harsher felony.

The slim chance that you will have to defend your home is absolutely no excuse for being irresponsible with a weapon. Toddlers shouldn't even be aware of the existence of a handgun in the home, period.