Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default Help! AnitVir2010 malware

OK, my mom has picked up an AntiVir2010 maleware, which apparently masquerades as Avira AntiVir, but is really just a nasty maleware application.

I've run Norton 360, but it does not detect the problem and if I go online to try to update Norton 360...blocked
    can't find it in the add/remove programs
    If I try to use the internet to get to a free maleware program...blocked
    If I try to upload antimalware that i burned to a disc from my computer...blocked

all she gets is a screen that says that potential risks have been detected and she should buy this Antivir software

any ideas?

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

From my experience with malware - format C:

If it's blocking your access to internet/software, it's best to wipe out your whole system disk and re-install OS.

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...antivirus-2010

Malwarebytes Antimalware is the solution.

BTW, the above link is a safe site.
    I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    OK, my mom has picked up an AntiVir2010 maleware, which apparently masquerades as Avira AntiVir, but is really just a nasty maleware application.

I've run Norton 360, but it does not detect the problem and if I go online to try to update Norton 360...blocked
    can't find it in the add/remove programs
    If I try to use the internet to get to a free maleware program...blocked
    If I try to upload antimalware that i burned to a disc from my computer...blocked

all she gets is a screen that says that potential risks have been detected and she should buy this Antivir software

any ideas?
    Yeah, hate these buggers. One thing I've found with some of them is that you get a very small window of opportunity when you reboot the computer to get things done. So I have people reboot. As soon as they log in, I have them go to Start/Run/"msconfig" and on the "General" tab under "Selective Startup", I have them UNcheck "Load Startup Items". When they click "OK" and reboot again, this usually allows them to now get some things done. Like update Norton 360 (not sure how old it is, but if it's an old version of the program, might want to update the program itself, not just the definitions). I also like to use Windows Defender - if she doesn't have that, download it from the Microsoft website. Before doing any scanning, I clear the temp folder (c:\documents and settings\(user name)\local settings\temp - in XP anyway - different location in Vista, and I'm sure 7) and also c:\windows\temp. I'll also delete the file if I can (run "msconfig" again, go to the "startup" tab and you should find your crapware under the "Startup Item", and where the actual file is under "Command" (and if you're up to editing the registry, you'll also see where the key is under "Location"). Only problem with "msconfig" is that you can't maximise it and it makes it tricky to expand the columns so that you can read full paths, but it can be done. Then you can run your scans (and if you do Defender (or anything) do a Full scan - quick scans are nice when you don't think you have a virus, but knowing you do, always do full. Once all the scans are complete and actions have been taken, you can run "msconfig" once again and turn on the startup items.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yerfdog View Post
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...antivirus-2010

Malwarebytes Antimalware is the solution.

BTW, the above link is a safe site.
    My wife's machine contracted that same bug and Yerf is right; Malwarebytes took care of it. It's free, too.

Having said that, we later had a more aggressive version of the virus and it automatically blocked Malwarebytes from opening. That time, we had to take the computer into the shop for a scrubbing.

Good luck.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Hit control+alt+delete. See if you see a program running called braviax.exe

This is the same ad I had popping up, it came from the braviax virus. I already had Malwarebytes loaded and updated when this started. It removed it, but after 3 boots, it would reinstall itself. Major PITA, I ended up having to reinstall windows.

Maybe Malwarebytes has it figured out by now, they are the best. I'm building a computer, and I'm gonna subscribe it when it's done. It'll auto-update and scan automatically, plus the folks that run that thing have earned a bit of my money

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ToddE View Post
    My wife's machine contracted that same bug and Yerf is right; Malwarebytes took care of it. It's free, too.

Having said that, we later had a more aggressive version of the virus and it automatically blocked Malwarebytes from opening. That time, we had to take the computer into the shop for a scrubbing.

Good luck.
    that's what's going on. I use exactly the same site yerf recommended and I have always been able to get problems resolved.....this time it's blocking me from doing everything....I'll try the other suggestions, but given the age of my mother's computer, the bench fee for scrubbing it is probably not what I want to do.

Mum just might get that laptop she's been wanting for a VERY early Mother's day present!

pisses me off that norton missed this completely....that's the ONE thing I can do...a norton scan... and it detects nothing!

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

When this computer got it, Mcafee would see it and attempt to remove it, but wasn't successful.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

does it say it removes it, but then it comes right back, or does it just tell you outright it can't remove it? If it's the former, then you have to find the source file (easier said than done), if it's the latter, boot off your Windows CD and go to the recovery console and manually delete that bugger. Also search for it in the registry and remove any mention of it (often have to do this after you delete the file, as a lot of times while these bastards are active, they'll write themselves right back to the registry within seconds after you remove them.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

I'm sorry this post won't hold any advice. But man, I'd love to smack these virus writers upside the head with a baseball bat.

Back to the thread ...

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Why are people not going to jail for this kind of disruptive bullshit? I think they use to call this extortion didn't they?
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    does it say it removes it, but then it comes right back, or does it just tell you outright it can't remove it? If it's the former, then you have to find the source file (easier said than done), if it's the latter, boot off your Windows CD and go to the recovery console and manually delete that bugger. Also search for it in the registry and remove any mention of it (often have to do this after you delete the file, as a lot of times while these bastards are active, they'll write themselves right back to the registry within seconds after you remove them.
    I remember that when it was deleted, somehow it would create files in the Windows Temp folder on the first boot, then on the second, the virus was back.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ToddE View Post
    I'm sorry this post won't hold any advice. But man, I'd love to smack these virus writers upside the head with a baseball bat.
    Agreed, some of these guys just need to get laid

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Agreed, some of these guys just need to get laid
    yeah, underneath the concrete foundation of the next stadium that's built...

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by weesfreewheelin View Post
    Why are people not going to jail for this kind of disruptive bullshit? I think they use to call this extortion didn't they?
    Yep, I would rather set my computer on fire and buy a brand new one than give those pricks one cent of my money on their "fix."