Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 780 Times in 375 Posts

Premium Member

Detroit School Leader: I Can't Write

As if Detroit doesn't have enough problems these days, the president of the city's school board offered the shocking admission that he can't pen a coherent sentence.

Otis Mathis, who oversees the academic future of 90,000 public school students, told the Detroit News that he's a "horrible writer" after reports surfaced that he sent a Feb. 29 e-mail to the financial manager of Detroit Public Schools that was rife with spelling, punctuation and usage errors.

"If you saw Sunday's Free Press that shown Robert Bobb the emergency financial manager for Detroit Public Schools, move Mark Twain to Boynton which have three times the number seats then students and was one of the reason's he gave for closing school to many empty seats." the e-mail read, according to the paper.

"Instead of telling them that they can't write and won't be anything, I show that cannot stop you." Mathis told the paper.

"I told him just last week that he should have his e-mails read by somebody before he sends them out." said fellow school board member LaMar Lemmons Jr.

"I said, 'If somebody gets ahold of this, it will become an issue that you can't read or write. It will go around the world.' "
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,588138,00.html

LOL

Tragic.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 1,882 Times in 1,099 Posts

Detroit is a terrible, terrible city. I've only been down there like 3 times in the last few years (to see sammy, chickenfoot and a wings game). I worked down there for a few years....same hookers on the corner all the time, cops ignored them. crack house across the street...cops ignored them. stripped out cars done in broad daylight, packs of dogs running around. came in a few times and bullet holes where in the bay doors. last day I worked down there a local bum who was in a wheel chair was laying in the middle of the street beat to shit, someone stole his wheel chair.

I have tons of stories from when I worked down there, I have nothing but contempt for that entire city.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Guys...this isn't a unique situation in detroit. We can make all the jokes about that city we want but the fact remains this is very very very common...but what do you expect from this country at this stage in the game?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

I don't find it to be so much of a joke. Detroit has given us so much - the Motown sound, the car, the Tigers, Bob Seger, etc. Should be more than just a crime-ridden decaying joke of a dot on the map

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

Just wait until all these kids who use abbreviated english on the internet enter the work force.

My kid could write. I saw to that by working with him, hiring tutors and working closely with his grade school teachers to identify deficiencies and correct them before he went to high school. Imaging my surprise that the high school teachers couldn't care less about his writing skills. Their curriculum didn't include any written assignments. By the time he got to college I was explaining to the admissions director that I did not believe he could write at a college level. The admissions director informed me that NONE of the college freshmen he was seeing these days had appropriate writing skills and that their regular college composition classes now resembled the remedial classes they used to used to have 20 years ago.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

[QUOTE=billy007;1248874]I don't find it to be so much of a joke. Detroit has given us so much - the Motown sound, the car, the Tigers, Bob Seger, etc. Should be more than just a crime-ridden decaying joke of a dot on the map[/QUOTE

you would have to live here to get it, it's totally a racial divide, the inner city folks don't want to listen to anyone from the suburbs, all the whites were driven out years ago...they called it the "white flight"

unless you're going down there to gamble or see the wings there's really not a whole lot that goes on in the city and even at that it's only a few blocks on Woodward that are safe. When I worked there I could go on the roof of the shop I was at and see the new tiger stadium, if I tried to walk from the shop to the stadium I would put my chances of making it there in one piece at about 10-1 and after dark? Not a chance in hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    Just wait until all these kids who use abbreviated english on the internet enter the work force.

My kid could write. I saw to that by working with him, hiring tutors and working closely with his grade school teachers to identify deficiencies and correct them before he went to high school. Imaging my surprise that the high school teachers couldn't care less about his writing skills. Their curriculum didn't include any written assignments. By the time he got to college I was explaining to the admissions director that I did not believe he could write at a college level. The admissions director informed me that NONE of the college freshmen he was seeing these days had appropriate writing skills and that their regular college composition classes now resembled the remedial classes they used to used to have 20 years ago.
    I wish I could be shocked by that, but I'm not. I have too many entry level employees with a high school diploma that I have to literally teach how to compose an e-mail correctly (punctuation, spelling, etc.).

As far as the Detroit thing goes, that's just beyond sad. This individual has a Bachelors degree, minimum (allegedly). Composing an e-mail isn't that f**king difficult. My 11 year old is smart enough to use spell-check.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 18,085 Times in 8,934 Posts

We are raising an entire generation of stupid people. And I am not saying that as a joke, it is pathetic.

I would be happy if our educational system could at least teach reading, writing and arithmetic at a high school level, but it seems that is just too much to expect.

As for Detroit itself, it is a third world country level city. They need to level it and start over somewhere else.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

Flint Michigan was at one point getting a lot of flack for tearing down chunks of the city, but if anything good will come from Michigan's economic crash, it will be in the elimination of the slums, substandard housing and abandoned commercial/warehouse areas .

Although the buildings they are looking to tear down have been vacant, in some cases, for decades, my only concern would be that these people have to live somewhere. If these slums were replaced with huge blocks of government subsidized housing, they would just be recreating a model that has been proven not to work, and rebuiding the same old problems.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

On Fire Rare Painful Side Effect's Avatar
    Last Online

07.08.17 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is Detroit's idea of public art. Hard to imagine why they've struggled.

The schools generally do a lousy job of teaching basic skills like composition and math, but if the parents don't give a shit about education, neither will the kids. And that's where the real problem lies.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

well consider that in the last few weeks the main focus of d-town's city council is "can strippers be totally topless or do they have to have paisties on thier nipples"....that gives you an idea of where the city is.

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

01.06.11 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thats the last thing they need to worry about,i don't find going downtown scary at all,totaly different then outside the downtown area imo.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Guys...this isn't a unique situation in detroit. We can make all the jokes about that city we want but the fact remains this is very very very common...but what do you expect from this country at this stage in the game?
    I expect the United States to start taking education seriously. Why is it that national defense gets more money than everything else combined in this country? If we spent money on education the way we do on the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan we might actually not have to be in such embarrassing situations. Is it any wonder that countries like China and Japan have 5th graders that are more knowledgeable than our high school graduates?

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Painful Side Effect View Post

The piece is called, "Detroit, Fisting Itself."

I'm still laughing at "the hip hop mayor." What a mess.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

01.06.11 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Nooo,It is called a fist of a champion,honoring joe louis.:You guys wanna put him down now?