Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mitch Malloy?

Last Online

06.26.14 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Mitch Malloy?

I was dinking around and reading Wikipedia's VH entry and came across the information about Mitch Malloy being a very brief lead singer in 96. I hadn't heard this before and I searched the links and didn't get any hits. Does anyone know if this is true and if so did any of the music ever leak out?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by brokenleg View Post
    I was dinking around and reading Wikipedia's VH entry and came across the information about Mitch Malloy being a very brief lead singer in 96. I hadn't heard this before and I searched the links and didn't get any hits. Does anyone know if this is true and if so did any of the music ever leak out?
    depending on who you talk to is how significant Mitch Malloy's cup of coffee with Van Halen was and how long it lasted.

I've heard that he was officially a member and Ed's first choice and that they were practically lovers but that Warner Brothers and management and other assorted evil-doers put the kabosh on it because he wasn't a "name" singer and the powers that be wanted Cherone.

I've also heard that he went in, did some jamming and recorded a few songs and then left thinking he had the gig because Ed said "that's it you're the man;" only to hear later that Cherone was hired.

I've never heard the music they made but I've heard him sing other stuff and my god...I just can't stand that kind of voice. It's obviously to the taste of others and there are folks here on the links who have posted that Malloy would have been a better fit than Cherone but for my money, Malloy was just another in a long line of butt-rock singers like the guy from Firehouse or Mark Slaughter.

I think there's a youtube video or something where Malloy is talking about his visit to 5150 and that whole deal and as I recall some folks have posted interview transcriptions with him concerning that time as well.

Crazy Ed may have said "you're in." The powers that be may have forced Gary on Ed. I have no idea and I dare say no one here does. It would be interesting to get Ed and Gary isolated and get them to come clean about everything. The late nineties were a very interesting time for the band, from a soap opera type perspective.

here's a couple threads:

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/van-...t=mitch+malloy

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/ques...t=mitch+malloy

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/whic...t=mitch+malloy
    Last edited by broken9500; 03.05.10 at 02:05 PM.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:06 PM
    Liked 573 Times in 314 Posts

Donor

Here's what the man himself said:
    http://www.melodicrock.com/interviews/mitchmalloy.html

Another very interesting thing happened while you were out of the limelight so to speak. The great Van Halen experience!!
    How did you and Eddie Van Halen hook up?
    A guy who worked for their management at the time used to be my road manager and he kept calling me and telling me they were going to fire Sammy and that I was going to be the next singer in Van Halen and he was calling and calling and finally I got annoyed by this and told him to stop and that I didn't think I was a good fit in VH and that if he was serious he should have Ed call me.
    A week later Desmond Child calls me and says he has just left Ed's house and was writing with them and that they were talking about me and that they were watching my "Anything At All" video, and that he told them that I was perfect for them, and that they would be lucky to get me, and before I knew it, I was on a plane to LA. Ed did call, a bunch of times. He was great.

Things went so well, you actually recorded a demo with the guys - live in the studio. For the record! What tracks did you jam on?
    Yes, it was Panama, Ain't Talking 'bout Love, Why Can't This Be Love, Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do), Jump.

And what were you thinking while this was going on? Total disbelief?!!
    LOL, it was very surreal. It was pretty cool. Valerie was very nice to me and Wolfy and I had a great connection. He just took to me right away. Ed was very taken with that as I recall, he told me I must be the guy cause his son loved me. It was cool. It was very nice. Ed is really a great guy, and so is Al and Mike. Ed was treating me like I was his best friend, his little brother. He still does most of the time. I miss him at the moment.
    I have not talked to him in a while. I hope he is okay. He was very encouraging on this new record. I sent him You Lift Me, It's About Love, and Draw The Line and he called me while he was still listening to it and was very very excited and saying things that I couldn't believe. I can't really repeat them here without sounding like a total egotistic ass, so I will just say, he was very flattering.
    I hung up and yelled at the top of my voice. That felt way better than when he told me I was in the band. I felt like he accepted me as a peer when he like my music.

I suppose I should tell of the moment when he told me I was in the band.....
    On the 3rd day I was there, I got a call as I was staying in Ed's guest house. They told me they wanted me to be in the studio control room in 15 minutes.
    I went up and sat there and waited, And a few minutes later, Ed walks in stops and says, "well, you are an amazing singer, you look great and you are one of the nicest guys I have ever met, we just talked it over and congratulations, you are in the band." he walks up to me, I stand up and he kisses me on both cheeks gives me a hug and turns and walks out of the room. I sit back down at the mixing board and say out loud, "I am in Van Halen, shit, now what"? I think I giggled a little in disbelief. It was a very strange moment.

So the unanimous verdict on Ray Danniels as a manager is shit to say the least, were you another victim of his control over the band at this stage?
    Well, I am not positive as to what happened there, but Ray told me at first that no matter what happened, he wanted to manage me.
    I already had a manager though. And he told me he wanted me in the band. I think it's best I reserve comment any further on that one.
    I actually wrote Ray a letter, passing on the gig. It just didn't feel right to me at the time, what with all the MTV thing with Dave and all that.
    They never told me they were doing that with Dave, and as far as I knew, I was pretty much in the band at that time. I knew they were going to audition Gary, but they told me they didn't really want to, cause they wanted me. And then I see them walk out on stage with Dave, I called Mike and told him that I thought it was a mistake and that they had just made it nearly impossible for ANY singer to come in and be successful cause now EVERYONE thought Dave was back.
    I never heard back from them, and while I was waiting, I sat down and wrote a letter and had my manager send it up to Ray saying, thanks for the shot, but I am going to have to pass.
    It wasn't an easy thing to do. I heard from Ed a few weeks later. I met Gary over the phone that day as well. Gary is a super nice guy. A real class act. I am very impressed with him as a person and would think he would be a very good friend to have.
    We are not friends, I am just saying, there are not that many people you meet in life that are as gracious as Gary Cherone.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

Desmond Child was writing with Eddie and told Eddie to call Mitch Malloy.

I was in a band that was working with Desmond in 1998.

Desmond wrote a song with Eddie called "Blood from a stone" i think and it ending up being "That's why i love you".
    Last edited by johnnybeane; 03.05.10 at 06:28 PM. Reason: more
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybeane View Post

Desmond wrote a song with Eddie called "Blood from a stone" i think and it ending up being "That's why i love you".
    If VH ever makes a new album that should be the title, as in "getting new music out of VH is like..."
    Anonymous for fear of fatwa

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybeane View Post

Do you have any VH-related stories from that association with Desmond Child?

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

I do remember Eddie saying back then in one of those guitar magazines that Gary was kind of forced on him. he was given a tape of Gary and thought the guy was God-awful, but was told that Gary was already booked for a week and Eddie said "my God, what am I going to do with this guy for a whole week." But then he sat down with Gary and the two started talking and he thought Gary was such a genuine guy that he said "do you feel like singing?" and Gary said "well, yeah, that's why I'm here." and the rest is evidently history.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,188 Times in 8,988 Posts

I think he would have been a terrible fit for Van Halen, but could it have turned out any worse for the last 14 years if he had been in the band than what has actually happened?

But I agree with Broken in that he sounds like any typical 80's high pitched wailer. Would have fit in great with Slaughter.

Looked him up. Seems after three solo albums he called it a career, and headed to Nashville and remains there as a songwriter. But there isn't a lot on the guy.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    I do remember Eddie saying back then in one of those guitar magazines that Gary was kind of forced on him. he was given a tape of Gary and thought the guy was God-awful, but was told that Gary was already booked for a week and Eddie said "my God, what am I going to do with this guy for a whole week." But then he sat down with Gary and the two started talking and he thought Gary was such a genuine guy that he said "do you feel like singing?" and Gary said "well, yeah, that's why I'm here." and the rest is evidently history.
    never heard that before. do you remember about when that interview occurred? I only remember the one where Ed was wearing Gary's "Who the F$CK is Eddie Van Halen" T-shirt and the two of them were talking about how the writing process was different and I believe that's where the famous "if this doesn't work out I'll just go play cello" quote came from.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    never heard that before. do you remember about when that interview occurred? I only remember the one where Ed was wearing Gary's "Who the F$CK is Eddie Van Halen" T-shirt and the two of them were talking about how the writing process was different and I believe that's where the famous "if this doesn't work out I'll just go play cello" quote came from.
    Actually, if I recall, there is a line in that interview that goes like "when I heard the tapes, I thought it sounded really bad, but then we met and after working together and talking things out, we connected." It's not exactly like that but words to that effect. He did use the term "real bad". He said Daniels really pushed for him. There was an issue of GFTPM which went a little more in depth, but when the interviewer pushed harder regarding the choice of Gary, Ed got real defensive; said he was "a brother", and he "sings like an angel"....the usual Ed spin on his current singer.
    I'm still waiting for that hot cello album. Maybe it'll have a duet with Yo-Yo Ma! Y'know.........with their version of White Room.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I checked out one of Malloy's videos and don't think he would of been a great fit in VH. He has a good voice but unless he'd sing in a different style with VH I don't think it would work.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Actually, if I recall, there is a line in that interview that goes like "when I heard the tapes, I thought it sounded really bad, but then we met and after working together and talking things out, we connected." It's not exactly like that but words to that effect. He did use the term "real bad". He said Daniels really pushed for him. There was an issue of GFTPM which went a little more in depth, but when the interviewer pushed harder regarding the choice of Gary, Ed got real defensive; said he was "a brother", and he "sings like an angel"....the usual Ed spin on his current singer.
    I'm still waiting for that hot cello album. Maybe it'll have a duet with Yo-Yo Ma! Y'know.........with their version of White Room.
    I had heard that Daniels was a big advocate for Cherone, something about management contracts or whatever and yeah, the more I think, I do seem to recall Ed saying something about not vibing on the demos or something but it seems really strange that Ed would need to have been given a demo of Cherone...but then again, Ed doesn't listen to music.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOM_5150 View Post
    I checked out one of Malloy's videos and don't think he would of been a great fit in VH. He has a good voice but unless he'd sing in a different style with VH I don't think it would work.
    Really, though, how could it have been any worse? Seriously? It couldn't have. Somehow VH managed to find the exact perfect formula for complete disaster. That's actually quite impressive.
    Anonymous for fear of fatwa

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,188 Times in 8,988 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brownnation View Post
    Really, though, how could it have been any worse? Seriously? It couldn't have. Somehow VH managed to find the exact perfect formula for complete disaster. That's actually quite impressive.
    You man fire Sam and alienate part of the fanbase, then hire and fire Dave to alienate the other half?

Seems like genius to me....
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I had heard that Daniels was a big advocate for Cherone, something about management contracts or whatever and yeah, the more I think, I do seem to recall Ed saying something about not vibing on the demos or something but it seems really strange that Ed would need to have been given a demo of Cherone...but then again, Ed doesn't listen to music.
    Supposedly it was a demo of Cherone singing over VH stuff. They did it that way because Cherone still had other commitments or something. Kinda lameass situation from the get go. So much for going with your gut. If i don't like the way a guy sings or plays, demo or otherwise, hanging with him ain't going to change my mind. Sure he could take a different approach that you worked out, but my belief is how you sing or play normally is how you'll have more of a chance to shine with people of a like style. I think alot of III's commercial failings falls on the fact that Cherones' vocals sounded so forced and overwrought. You listen to Extreme and he just sounds more natural. With VH, it was obvious he was trying, or was squeezed into fitting in a mold that he didn't fit in.
    Nothing against him at all. I just think he was in a very difficult situation with the added expectation from fans of what VH should sound like.
    Rough gig!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.