Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default your thoughts on the Peavey HP Special USA

Ok...simple question realy. what are your thoughts on the peavey model...one is for sale close by...but don't realy know anything about them appart from been kinda the successor of the woflgang at Peavey!...are they REALY made in the US?....

Thanks

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

same story as the Wolfgang, some are U.S.A made some are Korean (EXP's)
    from what i have heard, the U.S. made ones are great but the Korean ones aren't so good (same as before!) but im no expert on how to tell the difference. maybe rocknrollweekend.com has some tips, im pretty sure i saw something about the HP on there once.

Edit...yeah they do...
    http://rocknrollweekend.com/hp_specials.php

oh and if you click the 'care and feeding' link, the guy on his knees with a goldtop special is my very good friend Gordon Johnson of Diaboliss....name dropping!
    Last edited by tommywho5150; 03.03.10 at 03:00 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

01.22.16 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

They look ok, but I hope the pickups are better than the old wolfgang pickups. I never really liked those. Still love the guitar size and shape for balance though. Says it made in the US.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Ok...simple question realy. what are your thoughts on the peavey model...one is for sale close by...but don't realy know anything about them appart from been kinda the successor of the woflgang at Peavey!...are they REALY made in the US?....

Thanks
    According to a spec list that was issued when it was released, they are pretty much the same except for the redesign in shape. Same pickups, trem, tuners, and neck setup. I guess if you dig Wolfie's, then you'd dig the HP Special. My only beef is that with the double cutaway, it just basically becomes yet another variation of a Strat. Not that I don't like the Strat shape, lol. I just think they could have done something a little different, like expanded on the Wolf's hybrid shape. I'm sure they could have gone a way in which would have satisfied ELVH lawyers. I mean take a look at the Washburn. If they could do a shape similar and not get nailed, then I'm sure Peavey could have.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

The feel of the guitar is pretty much like the Wolfgang. As well as deepening the cut in the upper bout to make it a double cutaway, they made the rear part of the body more round. Instead of it being an offset, asymmetrical body, the rear part is more like that of an EBMM Axis.

The guitar itself is a great player. The quickest way to tell the difference between the USA and the import version is that the imports are H-S-H.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

they have tapped pickups.

check out what they sound like with a good tube amp::

and no, i don't work for peavey.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

The pickups were voiced to be a little brighter than the Wolfgang's so the coil taps would have a little more chime. And the trem is floating, but each HP comes with their little trem stop thing so it can be down-only. They took the body shape from their HP Signature Series, and the neck is exactly the same radius and profile as the Wolfgang.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.11.13 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From a purely aesthetic point of view some of the finishes look beautiful. That said I've never seen one in person but from the pictures provided they look very tasty!

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm trying to figure out the carved top and flat top thing..LOL..

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

The HP Special USA guitars are actually a great guitar. It feels good, plays good and sounds good. In my opinion, they are a very under rated and versatile guitar.

I was a drive away from a music shop to buy one, until I came across the deal on the Wolfgang I found. Now. I didn't get the Wolfgang over the HP Special because I compared the two, I just couldn't pass up the Wolfgang deal. I think it's not fair to compare any guitar to the next really. Same models with same specs, sure, but that's all.

Now...having said all that, I still think I will pick up an HP Special. I really fell in love with the one I was going to get originally.

For the flat versus carved top, some say a carved top gives a bit bigger/fuller sound, but I think it's all personal preference. The HP Special I like is a flat top. Sounds great to me.
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:14 AM
    Liked 61 Times in 30 Posts

Donor

I bought an HP with the flat tap last year and posted a review:
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/new-...ew-t46439.html

The honeymoon is over but the verdict still stands...it's a better guitar than the Wolfgang (IMO).

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.10.15 @ 12:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a HP Special CT USA and a Peavey Standard Wolfgang and you just can't go wrong with either of them. I actually, had the HP before the Wolfgang and thought that when I got my wolf, I wouldn't touch the HP, but that just has not happened. The HP has taken what is good about the wolf and added to it to create a personality of it's own. Sure it has some cosmetic differences, as noted in the other posts, but the neck and the pickups are almost identical. I would say that the HP is a little brighter, but that is in no way a bad thing.

Overall, it is a kick ass guitar and I would say that it is every bit as good as a wolf. Just check out the Guitar World review on YouTube and you should be sold ( ).

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i guess this thread has convinced me to source a set of those peavey hp pickups and have them mounted on my wolf standard.

thx for the last link, that was a great demo.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k.
    Favorite VH Song

cant get this stuff no more
    Last Online

02.02.14 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    The feel of the guitar is pretty much like the Wolfgang. As well as deepening the cut in the upper bout to make it a double cutaway, they made the rear part of the body more round. Instead of it being an offset, asymmetrical body, the rear part is more like that of an EBMM Axis.

The guitar itself is a great player. The quickest way to tell the difference between the USA and the import version is that the imports are H-S-H.
    funny u mention EBMM, i think this guitar would be great with a EBMM neck!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

You should check out my pieces. This is one that I have been building since around 1998. about 5-6 years before Peavey came out with their replacement version. I am now in full production with it now. I just don't have the capital to swamp the market with advertising like someone like Peavey. Tons of options available. Even more than Peavey offers. In fact I think Peavey might have closed their custom shop. I am not sure on that. I just know that that part of the site does not work anymore. If you went to their " guitar builder section you could see that they were charging way to much for a custom order. $ 400 up charge for a flat top figured maple and $900 up charge for a quilt carve top option .$900 up charge for a quilt top is insane !! Anything that was not on their color chart was a serious up charge as well.The base price is what people wold see or their " off the shelf " pieces were reasonable, but anything beyond that was much higher if ordered.

Probably the reason I just had a guy buy one off me that had tried these and even the new wolfgang, he ended up buying one of my new ones. I changed a few things up a little since the one in the pic. The lower horn is slightly longer and the back end has a little more room for the floyd. I never liked the cramped look of the music man in that their is not a lot of space behind the bridge. It is that way on the Peavey too. So I stretched out that portion a little too. More meat behind the bridge is a good thing. I am building a compete new site this year so my old site does not show anything new. I am gearing up to do a run in Korina. I just ordered a load of it and am expecting it soon. Korina is one of my favorite woods. Killer tone! I have two headstock options. One 3+3 and one 4+2 tuners.
    Last edited by scottfletcher; 03.06.10 at 11:20 AM.