Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default Child allowed to direct air traffic at JFK

investigation pending....what the F is wrong with people? Who in their right mind would think it was OK to let a 4 year old work in air traffic control?

Originally I thought it was a joke, but there is audio tape of the incident

here's the link to the story with audio
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2010...oy.html?r=news

FAA not amused as kid gives directions to pilots in Kennedy Airport's air-traffic control tower
    BY Kerry Burke and Leo Standora
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Originally Published:Wednesday, March 3rd 2010, 1:29 AM
    Updated: Wednesday, March 3rd 2010, 9:42 AM

Although those involved in the potentially high-risk hijinks at one of the nation's busiest airports seemed to get a kick out of it. .

The youngster, seemingly under adult supervision, makes five transmissions to amused pilots on a tape obtained by Channel 26 in Boston and confirmed as genuine by the Federal Aviation Authority.

One exchange went like this:

JFK TOWER: JetBlue 171 contact departure

PILOT: Over to departure JetBlue 171, awesome job.

A male voice then comes on with a laugh.

JFK TOWER: That's what you get, guys, when the kids are out of school.

Later, the kid clears another pilot for takeoff and says, "Adios, amigo." The pilot responds with the same wish.

Although those involved in the potentially high-risk hijinks at one of the nation's busiest airports seemed to get a kick out of it, the FAA was not laughing.

The control tower is a highly secure area, and the FAA says only licensed controllers are supposed to communicate with planes.

"Pending the outcome of our investigation, the employees involved in this incident are not controlling air traffic," the FAA said in a statement. "This behavior is not acceptable and does not demonstrate the kind of professionalism expected from all FAA employees."

The union that represents air-traffic controllers said the behavior in the tower "is not indicative of the highest professional standards that controllers set for themselves and exceed each and every day in the advancement of aviation safety."

It was unclear when the incident occurred.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Wife and I saw this as we were getting ready for work. This is the most retarded example of people over-reacting I've heard of in some time...and that says a lot.

The kid wasn't "working" the air-control tower. It's not like the controllers said "hey, junior, can you take over while we go take a smoke break?"

The kid was sitting on dad's lap. No big deal whatsoever...not even a small deal. This isn't even a teensy weensy deal.

I heard all the exchanges. The pilots were happy, everyone was happy. It was a great moment with father and son. Nothing bad happened. Let it the fuck be...but ooooh no. We live in a world OBSESSED with what-ifs and could haves and might have beens.

Oh my god?!?! What COULD have happened if the kid cleared a plane for take off when it wasn't clear? My god what MIGHT have happened if the controllers weren't there monitoring his words and telling him what to say?! My god think of the carnage that COULD have happened.

Seriously? We're going to bitch about what could have happened?

No one was at risk. No one was in danger. No one was harmed in the making of that cute little moment. Let's leave it at that shall way? I know we won't but for a moment can we just pretend that this country isn't so whacked out that the Today Show led with this?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Way too much is being made of this. If people would step back and really look at what happened it's pretty harmless. Twenty years ago people would have gotten a kick out of this, now people want someone's job over it.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

It's probably not worthy of any news story, and I would agree that nobody was ever in any danger, but it is extremely unprofessional to have allowed that to happen. The highest level of professionalism is expected, and it was breached. That's most likely the FAA's real concern here. Nobody thinks there was any true immediate risk of danger.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    It's probably not worthy of any news story, and I would agree that nobody was ever in any danger, but it is extremely unprofessional to have allowed that to happen. The highest level of professionalism is expected, and it was breached. That's most likely the FAA's real concern here. Nobody thinks there was any true immediate risk of danger.
    Exactly. Well put seen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Made that kid's day. I don't see the problem myself. People nowadays get worked up over nothing so easily.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    I don't know, I still think it falls into the category of overreacting. Because we live in a world where everything we say, do, or type has the potential to make it to the news and internet sites everywhere, it forces peoples hands. Because of uptight PC people everywhere, the FAA is forced to react and they're forced to react in a way that satisfies the ones who are offended by this. I bet behind closed doors the FAA officials are saying it's nothing but they can't come out and say that.

If this same incident happens in 1975 is anybody losing their job over it?? Of course not, because the people involved know it was no big deal and no one else knows about it.

The only mistake the Tower made was not assuming it would somehow make the mainstream news. But the act of what they really did was harmless. So the kid told a plane it was clear to take off. Big f'n deal.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

disagree. I know people who have been air traffic controllers. It is a difficult extremely high pressure job which requires constant attention to detail.

air traffic controllers have been known to make slight mistakes that cost hundreds of people their lives.

no time should be alloted to entertaining a child while these people's lives are in their hands

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Because of uptight PC people everywhere, the FAA is forced to react and they're forced to react in a way that satisfies the ones who are offended by this.
    Exactly. I'm sure those involved will be severely punished and/or lose their jobs. It's the world we live in.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Back when I was a kid, my father was president of a bank, and there were times when I was in the drive-thru tellers' booth nearly every Friday and I would talk to customers and stuff. Naturally, I didn't, nor should I have, handle any money, but I doubt this sort of thing would fly today.

As far as I can see, this wasn't really any different...except that it is today.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Heard this story on Bob & Tom this morning and I think it's much ado about nothing.

What it comes down to is the father was feeding lines to his kid to deliver to pilots ON THE GROUND. Granted, it'd be different if he allowed the kid to give instructions to pilots in the air but that's not the case.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

I have to agree with Daisy. While it seems nice and fun and harmless, this isnt exactly like taking the kid to the office and giving him some pens and papers to draw with. The job entails juggling peoples lives and there has to be the strictest rules and regs that apply. If anything had gone wrong whilst that kid was with his dad, all hell would have broken loose and the first question would have been, "how was it possible that child was allowed to be there in the first place?"
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

How do you feel about parents letting their kids grab the steering wheel while sitting on their parents lap?

Is that ok or not?

My dad would let me do it in the 70's but what would have happened if he couldn't grab the wheel in time?

Personally I don't think kids should be allowed in an air traffic control center. Not sure the severity of this but its a freaking job that is rather important.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    Heard this story on Bob & Tom this morning and I think it's much ado about nothing.

What it comes down to is the father was feeding lines to his kid to deliver to pilots ON THE GROUND. Granted, it'd be different if he allowed the kid to give instructions to pilots in the air but that's not the case.

Bingo. I am not saying this is right or wrong...the highest level of professionalism is required in any of these jobs. But based on the transcripts that were provided, all of these instructions that were given by the kids were from the Ground Controllers and not the Air Traffic Control tower. There are two types of controls at every airport...those that handle the movements while on the ground and those that handle the planes once they reach the end of a runway through to the point they are in the air and passed to a regional controller. When the kid said "contact departure" he was basically instructing the pilot to contact the actual tower responsible for clearing him onto a runway and clearing him to take-off.

I agree that in 1975 this would be a great story. My bet in today's environment there are a couple of job openings at JFK. Get your resume's in.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    Bingo. I am not saying this is right or wrong...the highest level of professionalism is required in any of these jobs. But based on the transcripts that were provided, all of these instructions that were given by the kids were from the Ground Controllers and not the Air Traffic Control tower. There are two types of controls at every airport...those that handle the movements while on the ground and those that handle the planes once they reach the end of a runway through to the point they are in the air and passed to a regional controller. When the kid said "contact departure" he was basically instructing the pilot to contact the actual tower responsible for clearing him onto a runway and clearing him to take-off.

I agree that in 1975 this would be a great story. My bet in today's environment there are a couple of job openings at JFK. Get your resume's in.
    Nailed it. There was no danger here. Just another simple situation being grossly over-analyzed.