Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Default Brave Front Line Dog Gets Medal!

A great story about our furry friends helping save military lives in Afghanistan. Great video report too.

Army sniffer dog Treo is honoured with Dickin Medal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8533479.stm

An Army search dog who saved lives in Afghanistan has been honoured with the animal version of the Victoria Cross.

Black Labrador Treo, eight, was awarded the Dickin Medal at the event at the Imperial War Museum in London.

The now retired dog, from 104 Military Working Dog Support Unit, North Luffenham barracks in Rutland, twice found hidden bombs in Helmand province.

Treo is the 63rd animal to receive the medal created by veterinary charity the PDSA to honour gallantry in war.

The medal, which is the highest accolade a military animal can be awarded, was presented by Princess Alexandra.

A total of 26 other dogs, 32 World War II messenger pigeons, three horses and one cat have won the award, introduced in 1943 by Maria Dickin, the founder of the PDSA - People's Dispensary for Sick Animals.

Important job

Handler Sgt Dave Heyhoe joined his dog at the ceremony on Wednesday.

The pair have worked together for five years and Treo has now become a family pet.

Sgt Heyhoe said: "We started our time together in Northern Ireland, then moved to North Luffenham, where we then went out to Afghanistan in 2008."

Treo was one of 25 dogs in the country supporting British troops on patrol.

His work involved searching for arms and explosives.

Sgt Heyhoe said: "It's very important. We are part and parcel of the search element. We're not the ultimate answer but we are an aid to search."

Treo was working as a forward detection dog in Sangin when in August and September 2008 he found two hidden "daisy chain" bombs made out of multiple explosives wired together. His handler said Treo's detective work saved the lives of many soldiers.

Sgt Heyhoe added the pair had a "rapport" and understood each other.

"Everyone will say that he is just a military working dog - yes, he is, but he is also a very good friend of mine. We look after each other."

He said the award was for every dog and handler working in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Maj Chris Ham, officer commanding the Canine Division at the Defence Animal Centre in Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire, said dogs played an important role in missions overseas.

He said: "It's being recognised more and more in this day and age that the key capability the armed explosives dog does have lies particularly in finding improvised explosive devices."

****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel View Post
    A great story about our furry friends helping save military lives in Afghanistan. Great video report too.

Army sniffer dog Treo is honoured with Dickin Medal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8533479.stm

An Army search dog who saved lives in Afghanistan has been honoured with the animal version of the Victoria Cross.

Black Labrador Treo, eight, was awarded the Dickin Medal at the event at the Imperial War Museum in London.

The now retired dog, from 104 Military Working Dog Support Unit, North Luffenham barracks in Rutland, twice found hidden bombs in Helmand province.

Treo is the 63rd animal to receive the medal created by veterinary charity the PDSA to honour gallantry in war.

The medal, which is the highest accolade a military animal can be awarded, was presented by Princess Alexandra.

A total of 26 other dogs, 32 World War II messenger pigeons, three horses and one cat have won the award, introduced in 1943 by Maria Dickin, the founder of the PDSA - People's Dispensary for Sick Animals.

Important job

Handler Sgt Dave Heyhoe joined his dog at the ceremony on Wednesday.

The pair have worked together for five years and Treo has now become a family pet.

Sgt Heyhoe said: "We started our time together in Northern Ireland, then moved to North Luffenham, where we then went out to Afghanistan in 2008."

Treo was one of 25 dogs in the country supporting British troops on patrol.

His work involved searching for arms and explosives.

Sgt Heyhoe said: "It's very important. We are part and parcel of the search element. We're not the ultimate answer but we are an aid to search."

Treo was working as a forward detection dog in Sangin when in August and September 2008 he found two hidden "daisy chain" bombs made out of multiple explosives wired together. His handler said Treo's detective work saved the lives of many soldiers.

Sgt Heyhoe added the pair had a "rapport" and understood each other.

"Everyone will say that he is just a military working dog - yes, he is, but he is also a very good friend of mine. We look after each other."

He said the award was for every dog and handler working in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Maj Chris Ham, officer commanding the Canine Division at the Defence Animal Centre in Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire, said dogs played an important role in missions overseas.

He said: "It's being recognised more and more in this day and age that the key capability the armed explosives dog does have lies particularly in finding improvised explosive devices."

aw SEA, you're really melting my heart with this one.

It's awesome they have such an award!

Thanks for posting!!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

That's wonderful! Great story!

TST<------is freezing and yet still wants ice cream------

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:21 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Great story. I do believe the medal should be a giant sized T-Bone steak hanging from links of sausages.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

A total of 26 other dogs, 32 World War II messenger pigeons, three horses and one cat have won the award
    I was thinking more along the lines of how on earth do you give a pigeon a medal?
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]