Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:18 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Default Gibson prices have gone up a little...

So I was rummaging through an old lock box a few days ago and found the original receipt and Gibson warranty card to my '88 Les Paul Custom in tobacco sunburst. It has nice low action without any fret buzz, and other than tweaking the TOM bridge height a few times I've never had to do anything to it.

I bought it on 6/20/89 for $1,007 plus $90 for the Gibson hardshell case (the chainsaw case) for a total with tax of $1,162.82. Now the "regular" L.P. Custom models are $3,800 and the Custom Shop L.P. Customs are of course higher.

Of course the prices of most everything have increased since '89. I thought for many years that I paid around $2,200 for it, but it blew my mind when I saw it was actually $1,007 for the guitar itself.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

that's a huge increase, considering in general the price of guitars have actually gone down. I mean, there was a time when you walked into a music store and everything cost $1000. Now some companies don't offer any guitars in that range unless we're talking complete custom jobs.

Last Online

07.09.10 @ 10:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    So I was rummaging through an old lock box a few days ago and found the original receipt and Gibson warranty card to my '88 Les Paul Custom in tobacco sunburst. It has nice low action without any fret buzz, and other than tweaking the TOM bridge height a few times I've never had to do anything to it.

I bought it on 6/20/89 for $1,007 plus $90 for the Gibson hardshell case (the chainsaw case) for a total with tax of $1,162.82. Now the "regular" L.P. Custom models are $3,800 and the Custom Shop L.P. Customs are of course higher.

Of course the prices of most everything have increased since '89. I thought for many years that I paid around $2,200 for it, but it blew my mind when I saw it was actually $1,007 for the guitar itself.
    well consider it like the wolfie except the fact that it's been out for a shorter time but we got to witness the major increase within the 3 companies of his search for the one 'that gets it'
    from like 1200 to 3000+

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I heard a few nightmare stories about the Gibson custom shop recently. From someone who worked there... Apparently he was fired when he couldn't push out 16 LPs per day--as in nut install and filing, fret level and crowning, stringing and setup. 16 in an eight hour work day. From the custom shop. Those are $3,000 and up guitars, and they are willing to dedicate an entire HALF HOUR to putting the guitar in its final playing condition. That company is seriously broken.

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    that's a huge increase, considering in general the price of guitars have actually gone down. I mean, there was a time when you walked into a music store and everything cost $1000. Now some companies don't offer any guitars in that range unless we're talking complete custom jobs.
    Price gone down?....huh, sorry, that never happened realy. they released cheaper versions of their guitars, for sure, but no big company ever actually dropped their prices. they always go up...and up...and up unfortunaly.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Price gone down?....huh, sorry, that never happened realy. they released cheaper versions of their guitars, for sure, but no big company ever actually dropped their prices. they always go up...and up...and up unfortunaly.
    yeah, I didn't say it, but that's what I was alluding to. Everyone is building low-end guitars these days.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

yup, i baught a custom black lp in 83 for right at 1000, beautiful guitar, but so heavy I had to switch to lighter guitars as the 80s went on.

Wish I had it now.... to sell
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    I heard a few nightmare stories about the Gibson custom shop recently. From someone who worked there... Apparently he was fired when he couldn't push out 16 LPs per day--as in nut install and filing, fret level and crowning, stringing and setup. 16 in an eight hour work day. From the custom shop. Those are $3,000 and up guitars, and they are willing to dedicate an entire HALF HOUR to putting the guitar in its final playing condition. That company is seriously broken.
    Andrew, you hit the nail on the head. They are broken. You probably remember the issues I had with my SG's neck. Well after getting it fixed by a great luthier it's alot better, but I noticed since this past summer till now, issues are still present. Obviously the wood in the neck was not properly kiln dried, because now, even after alot of time passing before the fret job, I am now getting fret ends sticking out all over the place! Unreal! This from a company that touted quality as their number one concern.I'm leaving it another couple months then I'm gonna get it redresses and sealed, and that should be the end of it, but I tell you, for the prices they charge, and based on your story, it'd be a cold day in hell before I by another new Gibson product.

BTW......The les Paul Standard my bandmate picked up last year is having the exact same issue with the neck warping, and also tounge rise at the body joint. Just terrible. $3.000.00 bucks for an unplayable guitar, plus whatever it's going to take to get it fixed. My luthier told him it will probably need a whole new neck because the twist is so severe, and Gibson won't help him out and accused him of over adjusting the truss rod! I know him well, and he's scared to do repairs himself and i know for a fact he never touched it.

Now here's the other side of the coin. My singer bought a black Epiphone Les Paul a year and a half ago. I think he paid around four or five hundred. All he did was put in better pickups (stockers slightly microphonic), and put in a bone nut, but the thing smokes! No problems at all. Sounds real good. Take that Epi stigma away, and it's a great guitar.
    Something seriously wrong when a company's budget line outperforms in quality over the premium line.
    Broken indeed!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Andrew, you hit the nail on the head. They are broken. You probably remember the issues I had with my SG's neck. Well after getting it fixed by a great luthier it's alot better, but I noticed since this past summer till now, issues are still present. Obviously the wood in the neck was not properly kiln dried, because now, even after alot of time passing before the fret job, I am now getting fret ends sticking out all over the place! Unreal! This from a company that touted quality as their number one concern.I'm leaving it another couple months then I'm gonna get it redresses and sealed, and that should be the end of it, but I tell you, for the prices they charge, and based on your story, it'd be a cold day in hell before I by another new Gibson product.

BTW......The les Paul Standard my bandmate picked up last year is having the exact same issue with the neck warping, and also tounge rise at the body joint. Just terrible. $3.000.00 bucks for an unplayable guitar, plus whatever it's going to take to get it fixed. My luthier told him it will probably need a whole new neck because the twist is so severe, and Gibson won't help him out and accused him of over adjusting the truss rod! I know him well, and he's scared to do repairs himself and i know for a fact he never touched it.

Now here's the other side of the coin. My singer bought a black Epiphone Les Paul a year and a half ago. I think he paid around four or five hundred. All he did was put in better pickups (stockers slightly microphonic), and put in a bone nut, but the thing smokes! No problems at all. Sounds real good. Take that Epi stigma away, and it's a great guitar.
    Something seriously wrong when a company's budget line outperforms in quality over the premium line.
    Broken indeed!
    i have to agree with everything youposted, i have seen so many issues with Gibsons necks and wood recently its astounding me how people are still willing to pay a premium for the antiquated pieces of junk they are pedaling.
    my own Gibsom nightmare was with a brand new MIII (back in 93) within 2 weeks i had to have the pots and switches replaced, shortly after the jack socket started cutting out then within 4 months the frets were so badly worn i have to have a full refret! (at my own cost!!!) i still have the guitar and since then i have done a few more upgrades and it plays like it should have the day Gibson made it...but it took a hell of a lot of work (and money!) to get it that way.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:18 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    yup, i baught a custom black lp in 83 for right at 1000, beautiful guitar, but so heavy I had to switch to lighter guitars as the 80s went on.

Wish I had it now.... to sell
    I've considered selling mine a few times, but I just can't part with it. I've really babied it and the thing doesn't have a mark on it (no buckle rash, etc.). I've seen them go for $2500 - $3000 in excellent condition, but how can you put a price on something you bought new that long ago... Earlier in the 80's I had what I was told was a '68 Standard, but the guy didn't know jack about serial numbers and neither did I. Does anyone recall trying to get facts/info in the pre-internet days? It was actually a mid 70's Standard which was still a great guitar, and I had a Bill Lawrence L500 in the bridge position. I eventually sold that one and ended up getting the '88 L.P. Custom which I still have.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post

Broken indeed!
    Think how many more Epis you'd see if they could use the Gibson headstock on the Les Pauls. Though I do like the Epi Elitist headstock.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    Think how many more Epis you'd see if they could use the Gibson headstock on the Les Pauls. Though I do like the Epi Elitist headstock.
    Epi's come a hell of a long way. I read a review of their newer factory since their move from Korea to China, and it's top notch. it's actually run primarily by two or three Yankees, and most of the Chinese finishing staff have a luthier background, so they are nothing to sneeze at. I agree with the headstocks though. I to like the headstocks on their semi-hollows, but on the Paul they don't look quite right. One thing I'm glad they did and this is going back some years admittedly, but I used to hate the placement of the control knobs on the Epi Pauls. The had a real wide spacing that ruined the look. The Standard Gibby spacing is in them now, and it looks right. Another thing that's real good, is the grounding leads. The late model Korean Epi's used that horrible, cheap over the bridge ground wire. They've totally abolished that practice, and let's not forget the most important thing.....Playability. Some of the later Korean models were almost impossible to intonate. Not a problem any more. No tougher than a Gibby.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    i set up an Epi Les Paul a couple of weeks ago for a friend, ask anyone round here how much i hate Les Pauls, but this one played better than any i have picked up in 20 years!!!!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

01.22.16 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I've still got my first guitar, a 1974 stratocaster, all original and near mint. Its cream colored and now considered to be the "malmsteen" model. My dad bought it for me when I was 15 in 1975. It was right at $250 and I hated it for years because it did not have a humbucker. I only kept it for many years for because my dad bought it for me.

Now I love it for some of the funky sounds it can get. I wish I had kept allot of my older stuff, Carvin amps, several old Ibanez AR guitars, an old Mustang, etc.

Keep all of your old stuff, you never know..

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:11 AM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

New Gibsons have the same issues as any other manufacturer...good and bad...my '09 Explorer was great after a minor setup and the quality is top-notch...I know the $3000+ EVH Wolfgang has its dogs too...believe me, I tried out a white one locally and you could have bled to death, the fret edges were so sharp!! C'est la vie...
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth