Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

05.01.13 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Floyd Rose Block

I have a 37mm brass sustain block on my Franky and I love it! I want to add them to some of my other EVH replicas...who has the best price (tried getting a hold of Divebomb but no reply)?

Also, are they pretty easy to install? I watched a Youtube video of a guy installing it and it looks very easy.

Thanks for your help!

-Derek

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MOJODOJO View Post
    I have a 37mm brass sustain block on my Franky and I love it! I want to add them to some of my other EVH replicas...who has the best price (tried getting a hold of Divebomb but no reply)?

Also, are they pretty easy to install? I watched a Youtube video of a guy installing it and it looks very easy.

Thanks for your help!

-Derek
    I've bought several from this guy on eBay, and they've been great: http://cgi.ebay.com/Floyd-rose-tremo...item439d7137a3. He makes them for many versions of the Floyd, so make sure you get the right one.

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MOJODOJO View Post

Thanks for your help!

-Derek
    Floyd Rose uprgades basicaly is the cheapest i've seen.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    I've bought several from this guy on eBay, and they've been great: http://cgi.ebay.com/Floyd-rose-tremo...item439d7137a3. He makes them for many versions of the Floyd, so make sure you get the right one.
    I agree with this post.
    Good guy. Knows me by name now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

01.06.11 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    I agree with this post.
    Good guy. Knows me by name now.
    Wow,24.00 for a 42mm Great price,dam,i think i paid 40.00 for a 42mm from adam.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:25 PM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Not trying to take away business from the eBay guy but If anyone is feeling industrious, you can make your own big block using a drill - or drill press if available - and a thread tap matching the metric mounting screw pitch. Go to: http://www.speedymetals.com/p-2052-1...360-brass.aspx and select the length according to the mm/inch conversion:

42mm - 1.62 (approx 1 5/8")
    37mm - 1.46 (approx 1 1/2")
    32mm - 1.26 (approx 1 5/16")

360 brass is fairly hard so keep that in mind if you buy oversized planning to remove material later.

Line up the holes using your old block. You'll need to establish the angle drilling the spring holes. Keep a drill bit in the old block and use it for a guide to drill into your big block or use a drill press if available. Using a center punch to mark before drilling is recommended. The mounting holes are drilled to a depth that matches your original block. Remember to use a drill bit small enough to follow up with the metric thread tap. Some final sanding or polishing may be required depending on your application. I've made several so far and so far so good. You should be able to buy 3 blanks for around $30 including shipping.

Good-luck if you try it!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.15.10 @ 12:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

do you have to redo the intonation after you put a big block in?

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by theskull View Post
    do you have to redo the intonation after you put a big block in?
    Unless you can screw the saddles down exactly where they were before you take it apart, yes, you'll have to setup the intonation. If you make some reference measurements before taking it apart, it's not too bad. You'll probably also have to screw in the tremolo springs since the holes will be closer (less tension) with the new wider block.
    Last edited by LAD-1972; 04.15.10 at 12:56 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

Speaking of Floyd Rose intonation...has anyone come across an intonation tool cheaper than this:

($15.00) http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...s/The_Key.html

Always wanted to try one but never picked one up.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I usually cut small strips of pinstriping (like 1/8" ) tape and apply them right on the plate either flush right in front or behind the saddle depending how for or aft the saddle is for reference later if I'm working on a Floyd. It can get a little tight for room, but you can usually just press down the tape with a pencil's eraser. Just a little trick that saves time and frustration. For future reference though, and to make your life easier, you can get a Floyd Rose intonating tool from companies like StewMac. They come in real handy if you're switching guages from time to time. I think their around the $20.00 mark or less, but they make a Floyd as easy to intonate as a standard type trem.

Just saw your post above. You must have posted just as I did. LOL. That's around the price range I've seen. You could check out some of the offshore sites and see if there's one. Their not real hard to make one yourself if you look at the pics. I made one out of some scrap steel ,and welded on a nut, (but bonded with epoxy or JB weld, will work just as well), and a long matching machine screw.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 04.15.10 at 01:42 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Just saw your post above. You must have posted just as I did. LOL. That's around the price range I've seen. You could check out some of the offshore sites and see if there's one. Their not real hard to make one yourself if you look at the pics. I made one out of some scrap steel ,and welded on a nut, (but bonded with epoxy or JB weld, will work just as well), and a long matching machine screw.
    I doesn't look too difficult to make - just wondered if someone knew of a cheap knock-off. They should throw one in with each tremolo for as much as they charge- HA!

Yeah, I've used masking tape on a few block changes but recently I started writing down measurements with my dial calipers before I ripped it apart - either to change blocks or add shims. I somehow always managed to lose a piece of tape - HA!!

I think FR should come up with a shim kit for dummies - at least for the standard and common compound radii.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    I doesn't look too difficult to make - just wondered if someone knew of a cheap knock-off. They should throw one in with each tremolo for as much as they charge- HA!

Yeah, I've used masking tape on a few block changes but recently I started writing down measurements with my dial calipers before I ripped it apart - either to change blocks or add shims. I somehow always managed to lose a piece of tape - HA!!

I think FR should come up with a shim kit for dummies - at least for the standard and common compound radii.
    yeah, I tried masking tape before too, but found it never stuck real well, what with scunge from your hand, dust, dirt, or any lubricating oil/manufacturing oil from the pivots that finds it's way. I found the pinstripe tape holds real well. I've gone the caliper route too, then lost the measurements for one reason or another.lol. A good shim kit deal for FR's has always been kinda backburnered for some reason. I've heard alot of people say that the sound suffers. Not sure, I've never used one.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    A good shim kit deal for FR's has always been kinda backburnered for some reason. I've heard alot of people say that the sound suffers. Not sure, I've never used one.
    A few years back, I got radius shim chart from Dino. It works really well and gets you in the ballpark matching the neck radius with a FR. I remember how pissed I was when I bought a 10-16 compound radius neck and had the worst string action possible. FR Shim's to the rescue!

Considering the fact that four of the saddles are sitting on a shim from the get go - I can't tell a difference using shims regarding tone loss - maybe is just me?