Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

09.30.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 97 Times in 15 Posts

Default Help me find my tone please....

I'm tone chasing and just not getting the sound I want. Give me some advice on how to get the sound I'm looking for. And what I'm looking for is more of an 80's hard rock sound. Obviously, I've always liked EVH's tone, but I've also been a huge fan of Frank Hannon's tone from Tesla. I'm not trying to mimmick them. I'd just like something similar. What am I missing and/or what do I need to do. I've never been much good at finding just the right tone.

Here's my set up. And before anyone screams "HUMBUCKER"...yeah, I put humbuckers in the Strat as you can see from the pictures below.

Guitar: Fender American Standard Strat
    Pickups: Seymour Duncan Everything Axe Set (Bridge = JB Jr., Middle = Duckbucker, Neck = Little '59) all HUMBUCKERS
    Amp: Marshall AVT150 (I know, no tube no care...whatever )
    Pedals: EVH MXR Phase 90, EVH MXR Flanger, Ibanez Tube Screamer, Boss Octave OC-2, Boss Heavy Metal HM-2, Boss DS1 Distortion, Boss Super Chorus CH-1.

Here's a picture of my gear to help give you an idea of what I'm working with.

Guitar with pickups:

Pickups (boxes w/description):

Pedals:

Amp (faceplate to show available settings):

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

with all of those very '80's effects, I'm shocked you can't find an '80's sound. It would seem more like you'd be asking how to get away from an '80's sound.

Guitar Magazine used to be awesome at showing you how to dial up your pedals to get the artists' sound.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    with all of those very '80's effects, I'm shocked you can't find an '80's sound. It would seem more like you'd be asking how to get away from an '80's sound.

Guitar Magazine used to be awesome at showing you how to dial up your pedals to get the artists' sound.
    I guess that's what I'm looking for...I don't know exactly how to dial in the tone properly. I'm doing a lot of trial and error, but still just not getting there. It's driving me nuts.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:30 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

Just turn the knobs till it sounds good to you.
    If that was my set up id replace the "Heavy Metal" pedal with a RAT.

Have u tried an MXR distortion?

There's a few of them out there now.
    Last edited by johnnybeane; 02.22.10 at 08:54 PM. Reason: more
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

It's the amp. Get an Egnater Rebel 20, and an Avatar 2x12 cabinet with a G12H30, and a Vintage 30. With the pedals you have, you should be able to nail the tone you want.

BTW, lose the Heavy Metal pedal, and just use the tube screamer with the amps gain.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

You might have to much going on at once. I would try dialing in a good tone with just some distortion and the phaser first till you got somewhere.I think you might have overkill putting on to many pedals at once. Go as simple as possible first. Good luck.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

I agree, dump that HM-2 pedal, that's a shit pedal. I had one when I first started playing guitar 24 years ago....blech. I agree, you should be just using the tube screamer with the amp's gain. That should be more than enough to get what you want.

Don't cut the mids on your amp either, a lot of people do that to get that bright 80's-type bite. It sounds like shit. A guitar is supposed to have mids.

You might also want to think about putting that chorus pedal in the effects loop. I have the same pedal and I wanted to use it for a subtle detune on my tone, and it was just too much up in front, so I moved it to the loop, and it works much more like what I wanted. You may find that too.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All Good advise.

First..the guitar, a Strat is not a metal axe..you CAN do it, but needs to be modified, a JB wont give you a metal tone. on a strat, only one pup will work and it's a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails. that's it. Unless offcourse you expend your rout and get a real humbucker in there.

The amp...just no...LOL. Sorry, i can not stand those SS marshall amps. never heard one sound good.

nobozos is right..the Egnator REBEL 20 is awsome, a new one also is the new company started by Soldano is Jet CIty Amp...i tried one last week...WOW..blew me away.. just incredible, if you're looking for the best tone available, imagine a 50w full tube amp combo for what...500$ range?...insane

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/...ers/jca2112rc/

Effect wise you're pretty set..but like Brett said, dump the Boss HV...it's a tone killer basicaly.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    All Good advise.

First..the guitar, a Strat is not a metal axe..you CAN do it, but needs to be modified, a JB wont give you a metal tone. on a strat, only one pup will work and it's a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails. that's it. Unless offcourse you expend your rout and get a real humbucker in there.

The amp...just no...LOL. Sorry, i can not stand those SS marshall amps. never heard one sound good.

nobozos is right..the Egnator REBEL 20 is awsome, a new one also is the new company started by Soldano is Jet CIty Amp...i tried one last week...WOW..blew me away.. just incredible, if you're looking for the best tone available, imagine a 50w full tube amp combo for what...500$ range?...insane

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/...ers/jca2112rc/

Effect wise you're pretty set..but like Brett said, dump the Boss HV...it's a tone killer basicaly.
    i agree with everything here, exept the Strat comment, i have been playing rock and metal for over 26yrs and my main guitar of choice has always been a strat eithe standard or modified, but usually standard.
    and yeah dump the HM-2, just crank the tube screamer.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    i agree with everything here, exept the Strat comment, i have been playing rock and metal for over 26yrs and my main guitar of choice has always been a strat eithe standard or modified, but usually standard.
    and yeah dump the HM-2, just crank the tube screamer.
    I agree..i might have wrote it wrong...you can play metal with a strat for sure, early metal, but even a none modified Strat is a tought one to use, not enough output in the pups..and people tend to then add some dirtortion pedal to get it. that's why i mentionned a Hot Rail for strats. if you're playing death or nu metal...a strat is just asking for trouble..hehehe

Last Online

01.22.16 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I have that same amp. First thing I did was change out the one preamp tube to a JJ. That helped a little. While I still have it I don't use it much anymore. When I did, I played it mostly on the first crunch channel, scouped with the gain turned up to around 7 or 8. It sounds much better through a cab as I remember. Less is more with that amp and its hard to dial it in for a tone.

If your looking for early brown sound I would get one of those wampler pedals. It should sound good through that AVT set up clean.

The other thing you could do kinda for fun would be to get a line6 guitar port (gx) and get the first level of pod farm for around 49.00. If you have a good laptop you can set this up to run through your amp return and you will get allot of sounds that are pretty good for the money.

The guitar looks fine to me. its actually fairly close to what EVH used on the first couple of albums.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. Thanks guys!

I posted this same question on a few boards and the standard response was, "80's hard rock = JCM800/900 + tube screamer + a real humbucker. The output on those SD's is still pretty low compared to just about any dimarzio."

While I understand those kind of comments, and in an ideal world I'd do just that. But practically speaking, they don't help my situation. I don't have $2000 to drop on a JCM 800 nor do I have $1000+ to drop on a new guitar. Changing the pickups were the most realistic thing I could do to change the tone so that I could get the sound I was looking for. And combine that with the pedals I chose, I figured I could get a pretty decent sound for a hobbyist like me.

Sadly, what you're telling me is what I expected....a part of the problem is the amp. Yeah, I've never been truly happy with that amp. Maybe I can sell it on eBay for $300 and use the cash to buy something better.

I was thinking about one of those Vypyr amps. But you guys think that Jet City Amp is pretty good for a combo amp, huh? I might go to Guitar Center and try one out. But the Egnator....I can't do it. The 20W head is around $500. Add another $500 for the cabinet and I've got to come up with a grand. I can't do that right now. And their combo units start around $900. I'd love to buy a true tube amp, but it's something I can't afford right now.

*EDIT - and I didn't know there was so much hate for the HM-2 (lol). Yeah, I normally don't use it....it's just in bypass mode and I typically use the Tube Screamer with the amp's gain (as Brett mentioned), but I don't HATE the HM-2 like some of you do. I'll turn off the Tube Screamer every so often and just use it to get something different. Heck, it's even an older model made in Japan before Boss started getting their stuff from Taiwan. But I bought it out of desperation trying to "the" sound I was looking for. I knew it was made in the 80's and it tried to emulate that style of sound so I thought it might help. You're right, it didn't. The Tube Screamer is wayyyy better.
    Last edited by Ineedalogin; 02.23.10 at 07:32 AM.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Has anyone ever tried one of these?

Peavey Vypry Tube 60 60W Combo Tube Amp

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp-104922893-i1413609.gc

It's only $450, and that's doable for me...especially if I sell my Marshall AVT (I figure it should get me around $300 on ebay since it's in mint condition).

I have a couple of friends telling me they're really good amps and would help me get the tone I'm looking for. Unfortunately, none of the guitar shops around me have them in stock, so I can't try them out myself.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of these amps and would they fit the bill of my budget conscious wallet?

Last Online

01.22.16 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

How about the Blackstar HT-5. That looks like a cool little amp and I bet its loud as heck, even at 5 watts. Its in the same price range.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would realy go for a Jet City amp before a Peavey Vypry...but that's me. i don't consider the peavey model much better then your current marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Ineedalogin View Post
    Has anyone ever tried one of these?

Peavey Vypry Tube 60 60W Combo Tube Amp

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp-104922893-i1413609.gc

It's only $450, and that's doable for me...especially if I sell my Marshall AVT (I figure it should get me around $300 on ebay since it's in mint condition).

I have a couple of friends telling me they're really good amps and would help me get the tone I'm looking for. Unfortunately, none of the guitar shops around me have them in stock, so I can't try them out myself.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of these amps and would they fit the bill of my budget conscious wallet?