Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ibanez RG350

I am looking to buy a new strat style guitar without spending $1,000 on a Charvel (which I really like). Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about the Ibanez RGs to help me make up my mind?

Thanks!
    Another life saved by girl on girl action--House

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by vanhammersly View Post
    I am looking to buy a new strat style guitar without spending $1,000 on a Charvel (which I really like). Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about the Ibanez RGs to help me make up my mind?

Thanks!
    cant go too far wrong with any of the Ibanez range...they're well established the build quality is pretty good and the hardware is good quality, im not a huge fan of the necks though, a touch too skinny for my tastes.
    Worth a look is the Spear Gladius SP...

http://www.spearguitar.com/product/pro_1/info_5.asp

its priced similarly to the Ibanez and has a mahog body with spalt maple cap, 5-piece through neck, floyd rose, they have had some fantastic reviews in the U.K. guitar magazines...

http://www.spear-guitars.co.uk/revie...65.gladius.pdf
    http://www.spear-guitars.co.uk/revie...group_test.pdf

yes they're made in Korea, but well worth the money just thought i'd throw an alternative in there, just to be a little different!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

ya the usual complaint on thr RG are skinny neck, since I have small hands, I will probably never play anything but a Ibanez 570 neck.

The orginal edge and pro-edge trems were some of the best licensed floyds around, but Ibanez has really changed and messed with them over time, so I can not speak for the newer guitars.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    ya the usual complaint on thr RG are skinny neck, since I have small hands, I will probably never play anything but a Ibanez 570 neck.
    if i'm totally honest, my only complaint is the skinny neck but i have HUGE hands so i struggle to find a neck that suits me anyway, i do prefer an OFR but the Ibanez item is ok.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

That odd wood joint up under the first couple of frets was and still is a terrible idea. Is Ibanez still doing that? Over time the stress on that joint starts to really do weird things to the neck in that area, and it is virtually unfixable. I have a 1993 R540 Custom Shop that was my prized guitar back when I first bought it. It was pretty top-of-the-line kind of stuff for Ibanez then, but it still has gone all crazy-twisty within those first few frets.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 341 Times in 192 Posts

I tend to agree. I picked one up on the cheap and later discovered when I
    re-tuned it that the intonation was utterly fucked. I re-adjusted everything -
    springs, neck, tailpiece, but it was only passable if I set it up precisely one
    particular way. Otherwise, it was fretting out in weird spots and would go
    WAY out of tune. I'm kinda over Floyd Roses after that guitar, too. Not that
    they can't be great.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    That odd wood joint up under the first couple of frets was and still is a terrible idea. Is Ibanez still doing that? Over time the stress on that joint starts to really do weird things to the neck in that area, and it is virtually unfixable. I have a 1993 R540 Custom Shop that was my prized guitar back when I first bought it. It was pretty top-of-the-line kind of stuff for Ibanez then, but it still has gone all crazy-twisty within those first few frets.
    hmm, my main 3 guitars all have bubinga 570 necks, never been an issue.. again, I can not speak for alot of these new wizzard II and III necks and all these recent changes. I get the feeling the quality has gone down somewhat on the middle tier guitars. Mine are also AANJ, I dont like the older ones before that neck joint.

I know people think its because I am a vai fan, but there is ALOT more reasons to the madness of my equipment, but thats for another thread...

i practice at my work desk thru a pocketpod into a amp built into a heineken beer can
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

DLR era
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.29.13 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Idk what your budget is,

But I would build my own guitar instead of buying some cheap import. Get your parts from After Market Part companys like Warmoth,Musikraft,Mighty Mite,All-Parts,GuitarFetish theres tons out there. You can get whatever you pretty much could want for under 1k (unless U want Exotic Woods).

For a over the counter Strat type Guitar: I would look for a used Mid-Late 80s Jap Fender Strat, My Uncle had a Late 80s Jap Strat Olympic White with Maple with 69 HS (Like Jimi's guitar). It played and sounded Magical all stock, better then any new US strat I played.

Ibanez Guitars you either Love em or Hate em: Personally I love em and wish I had A Jem, But the low-end, like most low-end guitars are lacking alot (Prestige and up are awesome guitars). Like everyone else has said the Slim/Wide Necks arn't for everyone.

PS- Kramer Guitars by Gibson has the new Pacer Classic for around 350-500bucks.

and Gary Kramer guitars has the Crusader Deluxe around $500bucks

http://www.garykramerguitar.com/CrusaderDeluxe.html

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...r-classic-106/