Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.15.14 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Over moderation in Main...

Every single thread in main gets closed. I barely read here so I could give a hoot...but y'know, it's starting to be silly.

Are you trying to kill the board?
    A headless body in a topless bar...

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.07.13 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by badkaraoke View Post
    Every single thread in main gets closed. I barely read here so I could give a hoot...but y'know, it's starting to be silly.

Are you trying to kill the board?
    You hit the nail on the head...and if they disagree with you on a post, they'll think nothing of banning you as well.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'd like to point out that most of the threads that are getting closed are becoming that way because either, 1) There is already a thread or multiple threads covering the same topic; or, B) Because the thread has wandered so helplessly off topic that it is no longer a valid topic; or, 3) Because it has become a slamfest against Ed.

As for banning members, I'd like to think that this site is actually quite lenient on that when compared to other boards I've been on, but that is just my opinion.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    I'd like to point out that most of the threads that are getting closed are becoming that way because either, 1) There is already a thread or multiple threads covering the same topic; or, B) Because the thread has wandered so helplessly off topic that it is no longer a valid topic; or, 3) Because it has become a slamfest against Ed.

As for banning members, I'd like to think that this site is actually quite lenient on that when compared to other boards I've been on, but that is just my opinion.
    Still there are never any recent open threads...EVERYTHING gets closed.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like this forum, l but I have to agree. I have never seen a forum that closes as many threads as this one does. It's happened to me a few times, so I rarely post new threads here anymore. I think some of the mods take this thing way too seriously. It's not like this is a Van Halen news service that provides the rest of the world with accurate fact-filled news articles about Van Halen. We're simply chatting and talking shit with other VH fans!!! I really don't get the whole "There was another thread about this topic back in 2003, so I'm shutting this one down" thing. Who cares???

I'll probably get banned for speaking my mind, but there are plenty of other forums that I don't have to walk on eggshells in, so no sleep will be lost if I do.

Last edited by VanHalenRocks; 02.22.10 at 07:24 AM.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Think about it like this... when I go to a friend's house to talk about music, guitars, Van Halen, or whatever with other friends.... the friend who owns the house doesn't butt in on our conversations and say, "I'm shutting this topic down because I don't like it. We talked about this last week. Talk about something else." But that is what happens here quite often. I could see if someone was calling someone's mother a whore, or if they were outright bashing the owner of the forum - but just to shut down a topic that forum members are enjoying seems very controlling and unneccessary to me.

</rant>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Think about it like this. If you go to a friends house and pick the SAME argument day after day, how long will your friend continue inviting you over?

The real problem is that there is little going on in the VH front and no threads opening that talk about anything new...it becomes "different day, same old shit"

Surprise us and come up with something interesting to talk about in main, without turning it into a middle school level whine fest.

that thread would stay open

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 11,569 Times in 4,932 Posts

What's with all this "banning" and "egg shell" shit? Are you fucking kidding me, like anyone isn't afraid to speak their mind here. ROFL!

Those threads in Main aren't enjoyable, they're childish squabbles.

There's literally NOTHING to talk about with regards to VH, that's the problem. Not that threads are being closed. I could open them all up and there'd still be nothing to talk about.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 11,569 Times in 4,932 Posts

You know what, let's play a little game. I opened up a shitload of those threads in Main. Let's see what happens, and how long before they turn into little childish shitfests where people ask "Why is this still open"? It'll be fun to have a board of totally worthless arguing, we can be just like every other VH board then. Great.

I'll humor you guys, so that you see what this place becomes with NO moderation in there.

Enjoy.

Oh and you know what's killing this board, and it's not moderating...it's another thing...called Van Halen. A band killing itself since 1996.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I understand that many of you are still quite dedicated to the board and take it very seriously. I am sincerely sorry if my observation (one of the few I have made) has evoked negative feelings.

I have been message boarding for over 25 years and IMHO Main is pretty much a dead message board. That can't have been the intent with the moderation. Maybe it's just impossible to have a message board about the band?! You guys would have a better grip on that situation than myself.

And that's pretty much all I had to say, by the way. I probably put off saying it for about a year...
    Last edited by badkaraoke; 02.22.10 at 09:01 AM.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Gotta agree with Brett on this. Video killed the Radio Star and VH killed the Mains. I never start on the main threads here always on the Meeting Place threads or PlayBall. If you check in here daily like I have since 2001 the Mains are very redundant except on the rare occasions when the band or some incarnation of it are on tour.in rehab,firing a singer or bass player,and least we not forget the whole RRHOF fiasco. Thats why the Pleasure Dome imploded too.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    What's with all this "banning" and "egg shell" shit? Are you fucking kidding me, like anyone isn't afraid to speak their mind here. ROFL!

Those threads in Main aren't enjoyable, they're childish squabbles.

There's literally NOTHING to talk about with regards to VH, that's the problem. Not that threads are being closed. I could open them all up and there'd still be nothing to talk about.

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

I've been on this board for 10 years and I agree that a lot of the threads that get closed are usually for a good reason.

I know and understand about freedom of speech but it is also tiring to keep reading about the same folks saying the same things toward Ed in almost every thread.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

I think some posters miss the point.

It's because of the EXCELLENT JOB the mods have done during the last 10 years that these boards are still around. With the amount of drama and pettiness coming from the VH camp, this could have easily descended into chaos.

This is a quality site, because of the hard work of the ppl maintaining it. Keep on closin'!
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,335 Times in 3,183 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have come to expect nothing going on in VH land so if an interesting topic comes up I'll contribute but I mainly come here for guitar and the non-music forums now. I ghink the mods are quite leaniant for the most part but I can think of several occasions where I would have banned a member given the opportunity. There seems to be a fair balance with the new mods. It's bretts and mod's board, I say run it how they see fit.

However I think OLO not being able to ban does nothing but hold back the board.

Posted from mobile device.