Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

10.29.13 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I just got my pee pee slapped

I was on the Charvel Facebook and they had posted the new Charvel Demartini snakeskin.

Problem is it is a painted graphic, not real snakeskin. I posted that I felt if you were going to spend big $$$$ for a Demartini Snakeskin, it might as well be REAL snakeskin like his. Performance is still offering them with a price tag of $4000. I figure Charvel will want at LEAST $3000 for the painted snakeskin.

Charvel deleted my post, then replied with:

"FYI, we used a graphic instead of real snake skin to reflect the current
    needs/wished of the Artist. Charvel has been doing real snake skin for quite a while. Warren had/has Charvel Snakes as well.

Ugh, when did Charvel EVER do real snakeskin? I know Warrens tech, and he owns 2 real snakeskins now. Both built by Performance.

A painted graphic is WAY more cost effective that real python skin. I dunno. Once again, all about the money. Kenny at Performance is VERY upset that Warren went to Charvel after launching the same replicas with them. I talked to him tonight. I would take a Performance over a Charvel any day of the week!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Charvel is no longer "Charvel".
    They're not the same company that made kick ass guitars back in the 80's.
    They are now owned by Fender and, IMO, no longer have the same standards of quality they had back when Wayne owned the company.
    They're now just another corporate manufacture who mass produces "cookie cutter" guitars as they try to feed off of the reputation they had "once upon a time".

JMO

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Charvel is no longer "Charvel".
    They're not the same company that made kick ass guitars back in the 80's.
    They are now owned by Fender and, IMO, no longer have the same standards of quality they had back when Wayne owned the company.
    They're now just another corporate manufacture who mass produces "cookie cutter" guitars as they try to feed off of the reputation they had "once upon a time".

JMO
    They're also the same corporate entity that was trying to pull in $11.000.00 to $14.000.00 for reissue bullseye painted single pickup San Dimas guitars a couple years back. So yeah.........A far cry from Wayne's company.
    Rediculous.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On a side note..Wayne was'nt realy ever part of the "guitars" we know has Charvel, Grover bought him out and then started making the "superstrat". The new charvel are considered in reviews to be actually better then the ones made in the 80's, that, comming directly from Grover himself in many interviews. Most of the guys working on the high-end charvels now, are the same guys from the 80's.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think you are right on Dino. The new Charvels that i have bought are for investment purposes. I really love my Wayne's.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    On a side note..Wayne was'nt realy ever part of the "guitars" we know has Charvel, Grover bought him out and then started making the "superstrat". The new charvel are considered in reviews to be actually better then the ones made in the 80's, that, comming directly from Grover himself in many interviews. Most of the guys working on the high-end charvels now, are the same guys from the 80's.
    I believe Wayne was better known for the "SuperStrat", not Grover.
    Grover's better known for the Randy Rhoads "Concorde", pointy headstocks, and those cheap import models.

Regardless ... there's no way you can convince me the "new" Charvels are made as well as those made back in the day, let alone "better".
    That's a crock of shit.

You can't believe everything you read Alain ... especially coming from those with a vested interest in the company.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe Wayne was better known for the "SuperStrat", not Grover.
    Grover's better known for the Randy Rhoads "Concorde", pointy headstocks, and those cheap import models.

Regardless ... there's no way you can convince me the "new" Charvels are made as well as those made back in the day, let alone "better".
    That's a crock of shit.

You can't believe everything you read Alain ... especially coming from those with a vested interest in the company.
    LOL..i know dino..was basicaly quoting Grover. We just have to keep in mind Wayne left in 1979, and the Superstrat that came after with the floyd and all was not made my him. In anycase Wayne in those days was more a painter, it's his employee who was more a Builder

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I just went and played some guitars at a high-end local store a few days ago. I tried out the Charvel So Cal, because it seemed like a really cool guitar. It played well, was set up well (the owner of the store sets up EVERY single guitar that is on display, so I can't speak to the factory setup quality), and it sounded pretty good. I even liked the EVO neck pickup surprisingly.

This same store also has a wall of old Charvels from various time periods. I played some of those, and they were also amazing guitars. Although I have to say I liked the pickups in the so cal more (my go to HB is a tone zone, so it felt right at home), I think the older charvels were definitely nicer guitars.

The problem I have with the so cal, is that it feels exactly like a REALLY smokin' awesome mighty mite parts guitar. I mean, I could get a MM body, neck, slap a floyd and some dimarzios on it, and have the same guitar for MUCH less cost. I'm not knocking the So Cals -- I love mighty mite bodies and necks, and use the necks a lot on custom projects (actually, I like the frets on MM necks more than the weird fat and flat ones on the so cal). But for someone who can put together a guitar from parts, let alone put together a guitar from scratch... a so cal just doesn't have anything extra there that a mighty mite super strat wouldn't have. And I think the old charvels do have something extra there.

Something about the feel of it and build quality, it just has more of a 'proprietary' feel to it, like you would have to get a '80's charvel' to get that same kinda feel, just as, for example, you would have to get a Music Man EVH to get that kind of feel.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mrjstudios, to be fair, you would need to compare a real CS CHarvel...the new version that sells at 899$ or 999$ is basicaly the low end models of charvel.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:25 PM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Dino, what don't you like about the new Charvel's compared to the old school models? I'm curious because I want to buy a Charvel San Dimas Style 1 2H and unless it has a "cheap" Floyd, all the hardware & electronics seem to be brand names. Or Is it the finished product overall (Finish, Aligment, etc.)?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mrjstudios, to be fair, you would need to compare a real CS CHarvel...the new version that sells at 899$ or 999$ is basicaly the low end models of charvel.
    Ya, next time I go I'm gonna try some of those. They've got a EVH Art Series and a Bullzeye, as well as a charvel painted logo one.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tell you what, regardless of what Wayne is or isnt the guitars him and Michael are building now are awesome. I love mine. They feel broke in right out of the case.

I didnt want Charvel/Fender to be offended. However, it urks me to see a company take a guitar that was REAL snakeskin and turn it in to a painted copy. Then try to sell it as "The Warren Demartini Model". There is NO relation between a painted snakeskin guitar and Warren Demartini. I am probably being difficult, but I guess we are all entitled to our opinion. In the end, it is all about the money, which I find very sad.

Some 16 y/o kid is going to see that guitar and think it is the shit. He should have seen Warren and Warren's guitars 25 years ago. Now that was the shit.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Well, I just went and played some guitars at a high-end local store a few days ago. I tried out the Charvel So Cal, because it seemed like a really cool guitar. It played well, was set up well (the owner of the store sets up EVERY single guitar that is on display, so I can't speak to the factory setup quality), and it sounded pretty good. I even liked the EVO neck pickup surprisingly.

This same store also has a wall of old Charvels from various time periods. I played some of those, and they were also amazing guitars. Although I have to say I liked the pickups in the so cal more (my go to HB is a tone zone, so it felt right at home), I think the older charvels were definitely nicer guitars.

The problem I have with the so cal, is that it feels exactly like a REALLY smokin' awesome mighty mite parts guitar. I mean, I could get a MM body, neck, slap a floyd and some dimarzios on it, and have the same guitar for MUCH less cost. I'm not knocking the So Cals -- I love mighty mite bodies and necks, and use the necks a lot on custom projects (actually, I like the frets on MM necks more than the weird fat and flat ones on the so cal). But for someone who can put together a guitar from parts, let alone put together a guitar from scratch... a so cal just doesn't have anything extra there that a mighty mite super strat wouldn't have. And I think the old charvels do have something extra there.

Something about the feel of it and build quality, it just has more of a 'proprietary' feel to it, like you would have to get a '80's charvel' to get that same kinda feel, just as, for example, you would have to get a Music Man EVH to get that kind of feel.
    I cant agree with you more. Mighty Mite has some good stuff. And the "feel" comment, thanks for putting my thoughts to words. I love all my builds.....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With regard to the San Dimas and the Socal, I find then to play VERY similar to my Custom shops. The floyds are cheaper, but I have gigged with mine and NEVER had a problem on either.

There is nothing like the old charvels. However, these are a VERY good substitute.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post

That's a really good assesment. That's the way I feel too. They're nice guitars, but yeah, I kinda got that "parts guitar" vibe from them too. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but somehow you're made more aware of the individual attributes of the guitar, compared to say something that feels designed from start to finish with aesthetic modifications in the design to accomodate the choice of parts. Hard to explain.....All of us I think mod our guitars to some degree, but new right out of the box, it has that already modded feel. I still dig 'em, and they sound real good!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.