Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:35 PM
    Liked 11,569 Times in 4,932 Posts

Suggestions

I have a Strat-type guitar that just has a standard trem, it's not a Fender trem, it's a whatever import trem. Although I'm not sure that's the problem necessarily.

So it plays great, I have it set up nice and low, and I can use the bar just fine...divebomb it, whatever, works great. Only problem is that the G always goes out of tune when I bend, the other strings not so much at all. I always have to push the bar down to get it back in tune.

I have put graphite in the nut, although maybe I'm not even doing that right, I even tried a little Vasoline. I never hear a ping from the nut, so I don't know that it's even snagging. Once in a while I'll hear a ping from the trem when I engage it. So maybe it's snagging there, it's weird. I bought nice expensive locking tuners too.

So I have a few questions.

1. Any suggestions beyond what I've done.
    2. Would I benefit from getting like Graftech saddles?
    3. Should I go buy a better trem, could that be it? I know American Fender trems holes are wider than imports (at least I think), I really don't want to be plugging and drilling trem holes, that sorta scares me and I don't trust myself doing it.

I like having this guitar with a standard trem, and it does work perfect like I said. It's when I bend I'm going out of tune.

Thanks guys.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

01.22.16 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I ran across this post over at Metro amp yesterday. It may help.

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25285

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Last edited by jimi11580; 02.13.10 at 06:01 PM.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

That's actually how I tuned it and it's great. I can use the bar just fine, in fact, I am keeping it in tune by using the bar. It's when I just bend notes, it's going out, not when I use the bar.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    That's actually how I tuned it and it's great. I can use the bar just fine, in fact, I am keeping it in tune by using the bar. It's when I just bend notes, it's going out, not when I use the bar.

Have you seen this?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Yeah I have, I really think it's this shit bridge I have. It has that ping sound every time I use it, so you know shit isn't going back correctly on bends either. I really think it's just a cheap POS. I'm gonna replace it, it's not like a standard trem bridge is that expensive. Worth a shot. I really don't think it's the nut in this case, and obviously can't be slippage from the tuners since I have locking tuners.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i prefer standard fender style trems over Floyds, the way i set mine up is with the springs in the cavity really tight (much tighter than nessersary) i know that means i have to use more force to push the bar down but i know its gonna return to pitch better that way i also don't use saddles with grooves in (you know some saddles have little grooves that the string sits in) i also put a dab of 2in1 oil on them whenever i change strings, at the nut i always open the slots out a touch and file the top down a little and always lubricate with pencil graphite and vaseline whenever i change strings, i don't use locking tuners either and its very rare that my guitar goes out of tune during use or while bending.....i'll try to take some pics of how mines set up maybe that'll help somewhat (p.s. the bridge on my main, homebuild frankie only cost £15!!!)
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Tommy would appreciate that, thanks! I still think the cheap saddles and the cheap bridge is an issue, so I'm replacing it at the least. I hear the thing "pinging" every time I use the bar, which leads me to believe there are a ton of friction issues with it, that aren't worth the time trying to find on a cheap POS.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

heres a few shots of mine i just took, hopefully theres something in these thats somewhat helpfull...

Tom

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:18 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Brett- you know your guitar better than anyone, and if your gut says the bridge you're probably right. Another very basic thing is to make sure the number of winds around the tuner post are minimized and that you use the "back around and under the string" method to lock it in place. Even if you use this method then try fresh strings and perhaps a different string manufacturer.

For some reason, on both Gibson and Gretsch forums that I read it seems that many people have problems with the G string going flat- even on TOM style bridges. I know it's the string that is most likely to go flat for me on my '88 L.P. Custom (TOM) or my Gretsch G5120 (Bigsby). I bend strings quite a bit as well and I usually never have problems with B or the high E. I don't seem to have any problems with G going flat on my Floyd/Floyd equivalent guitars (Wolfgang Special, Ibanez RG 2550Z).

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I LOVE the graphite saddles Carvin sells, as not only do they keep the guitar in tune after bends and whammy work, but they also ground the guitar further (keeping hum to a bare minimum. I also like the heavy steel trem block for cheap imported fender-like trems that Guitar Fetish sells. It sounds like everything else is in order, and I think my mate Tommy from Ol' Blighty has you on the right track with the set-up photos.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Yeah that's what I bought, the Guitar Fetish one for an import, because I don't want to re-drill the holes. I'm kinda pissed this thing even has an import trem, but when I got it, I couldn't tell from the pics. Not that it's a big deal. I've heard the graphite saddles rob tone, but I really don't know, just something I saw when I was reading about them.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Brett, something that hasn't been mentioned... string trees! Is there one on the headstock for the 3rd and 4th strings? I've found those little metal cheapie thingies to be a major culprit for grabbing and holding onto a string as it moves from bends or the trem. Graph Tech string strees are a wonderful solution to this: http://www.allparts.com/Graph-Tech-S...p-0729-00g.htm or http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware...xst=3&xsr=4092.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Brett, something that hasn't been mentioned... string trees! Is there one on the headstock for the 3rd and 4th strings? I've found those little metal cheapie thingies to be a major culprit for grabbing and holding onto a string as it moves from bends or the trem. Graph Tech string strees are a wonderful solution to this: http://www.allparts.com/Graph-Tech-S...p-0729-00g.htm or http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware...xst=3&xsr=4092.
    +1...i just thought about that too, i always remove the string trees on the D and G strings because i have nothing but problems with them, i cant comment about the Graph Tech ones as i have no experience with them, but it can't hurt any.
    Also a thing i do when stringing (and i know this goes against what a lot of people say) is pass the string back through the hole in the string post, Bassically pass the string through as you normaly would, then wrap the string halfway round the post and back through again (so it kinda loops through the post) i have done this for years.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Actually I only have the string holder on the B and E, the D and G doesn't have one. I may just take off the string tree I have as I read that if you have staggered locking tuners you really don't need them.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!