Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

79.9% Interest Rate Credit Card

If you have bad credit in the new era of credit card regulation, be prepared to pay -- dearly -- for the privilege of using credit. That's the message underlying recent credit card offers that feature jaw-dropping interest rates of up to 79.9 percent.

The sky-high rates may be a sign of things to come in the market for so-called subprime credit cards as issuers who lend to the riskiest of borrowers try to figure out how to stay in business and comply with the new credit card reform law.

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...bb-creditcards
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I read that a couple of weeks ago. That same bank, First Premier, sent me their old card offer on a weekly basis a few years ago. At that time, it was a $300 card, with something like $250 in fees due and payable upon activation. Uh, no thanks. I'll pass. Weekly. There's no telling how much they spent on paper and postage trying to reel me in.

Rules and regs, the government makes 'em, the card issuers scheme around 'em.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:59 PM
    Liked 6,691 Times in 3,711 Posts

some people will be stupid enough to get this card and not pay it off in full every month. I have no sympathy for them.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    some people will be stupid enough to get this card and not pay it off in full every month. I have no sympathy for them.
    People who pay it off every month probably won't see this offer in their mailbox. They are using a card for charging. Those who carry a balance and use a card for credit will have to use discipline and wisdom. If they see this offer in their mailbox, they probably already blew it with the first card they ever had. Guilty as charged, which is why at one time, I was getting this company's old offer. I corrected and paid for my early credit mistakes. I don't need a credit card, really. But I now know the difference between charging, and gambling with carrying a balance. Hopefully I gained discipline after the fact.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:05 PM
    Liked 794 Times in 382 Posts

Premium Member

LOL anyone that needs money so desperate to pay 80% interest on a card balance will never pay the bill anyway as they obviously have no money to their name in the first place.

And in deeper we go. That's the way USA!
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

back when First Premiere and others used to just mail out credit cards to people my buddy would regularly activate them, use the 70 bucks or so in avaiable credit (300 opening limit minus 225 or so in activation fees and such) and then toss the card. Everyone once in a while he'd get a call from them wanting payment and he'd laugh out loud and say "hey, if you're fucking stupid enough to send me a credit card then that's your problem." Then he'd hang up and that was that.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    back when First Premiere and others used to just mail out credit cards to people my buddy would regularly activate them, use the 70 bucks or so in avaiable credit (300 opening limit minus 225 or so in activation fees and such) and then toss the card. Everyone once in a while he'd get a call from them wanting payment and he'd laugh out loud and say "hey, if you're fucking stupid enough to send me a credit card then that's your problem." Then he'd hang up and that was that.
    pretty dumb move on your friend's part, it'll cost him much more than 70 bucks in the long run. But I don't have much compassion for credit card companies who are dumb enough to simply mail out credit cards that weren't requested.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

Reminds me of the old Columbia House offers. I think I got my 10 free tapes about 8 times. Used names like Kramer Devola and Dana Hartman to get them. When they called the house just said that they moved away and don't know how to get a hold of them.
    That company had absolutely no way to get you to pay up.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

pretty dumb move on your friend's part, it'll cost him much more than 70 bucks in the long run. But I don't have much compassion for credit card companies who are dumb enough to simply mail out credit cards that weren't requested.
    It really doesn't cost him anything if he's not into owning a home or financing stuff through mainstream means. You'd be surprised how little having bad credit can mean to a lot of people. He buys cars cash, rents apts and homes person to person and doesn't take jobs with corporations. He lives a very simple life based on old school relationships. He doesn't have a flat panel tv from best buy, never has had a car note and gets paid in cash. Lasr time I saw him (about three years ago) he was working for a friend, cash in his pocket, a cool van and a nice place. Now you can make the case that his actions negatively impact other people in the sense that they have higher interest rates or whatever, but him personally? It doesn't hinder his life in the least. It was like him getting a gift card for seventy bucks.

Posted from mobile device.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

It really doesn't cost him anything if he's not into owning a home or financing stuff through mainstream means. You'd be surprised how little having bad credit can mean to a lot of people. He buys cars cash, rents apts and homes person to person and doesn't take jobs with corporations. He lives a very simple life based on old school relationships. He doesn't have a flat panel tv from best buy, never has had a car note and gets paid in cash. Lasr time I saw him (about three years ago) he was working for a friend, cash in his pocket, a cool van and a nice place. Now you can make the case that his actions negatively impact other people in the sense that they have higher interest rates or whatever, but him personally? It doesn't hinder his life in the least. It was like him getting a gift card for seventy bucks.

Posted from mobile device.
    if he's never gonna own a home it probably won't impact him much. Not sure about down south but car insurance companies look at your credit rating when setting your premiums.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

if he's never gonna own a home it probably won't impact him much. Not sure about down south but car insurance companies look at your credit rating when setting your premiums.
    yeah most insurance companies do that, at least the majors do but it's a very small aspect of how they come to determine your rate. My credit score is in the toilet. It's horrible but my insurance premium is peanuts because I'm a very very safe driver, no accidents, no tickets and I drive a car that qualifies for a ton of rebates and discounts.

Even if it were a huge part of someone's insurance premium, having bad credit still wouldn't effect the type of people i'm talking about because they either don't drive cars (and thus don't need insurance) or they have cars that are worth so little and they're driving records are clean, they have no problem getting a basic policy.

Credit really only effects those people who want to own property, finance furniture through a department store or furniture store, or purchase things on credit through best buy. Otherwise, it makes little to impact. Hell, I know people who have had multiple bankruptcies, foreclosures and repoes on their record who were driving brand new $40,000 cars. There's always someone else's name to put a purchase under, always someone willing to finance even the worst candidate because they have to move paper and always a rent-to-own joint ready to deliver brand new shit to someone's house.

I often wonder when the whole thing is going to come crashing down...not that our country can afford for it to, but I have a hard time believing that the credit and finance system as it exists now can sustain itself indefinitely.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:35 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    Reminds me of the old Columbia House offers. I think I got my 10 free tapes about 8 times. Used names like Kramer Devola and Dana Hartman to get them. When they called the house just said that they moved away and don't know how to get a hold of them.
    That company had absolutely no way to get you to pay up.
    Columbia House...the original illegal download!
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    Columbia House...the original illegal download!
    When I was in high school we moved to Miami and things weren't working out as planned for my family. I won't go into the details but basically, the job that my father was promised was a lie and we found ourselves in serious trouble. In my personal world I was depressed like you couldn't imagine. I had a left a girl I was deeply in love with and I knew that she would end up going back with a guy she had feelings for. There was no money for long distance phone calls and I found myself alone with no friends. I spent a lot of time in my room crying, playing guitar and listening to Beatles records. My father came into my room one day and said that a package had miraculously appeared on our doorstep with cassettes in it from Columbia House. He said he didn't order them or anything. He made it seem like it was some gift from above because the selection was made for me. He pulled them out one at a time and there was some really good stuff in there but he kept the best three for last: Paul McCartney's Greatest Hits, The John Lennon Collection and the best record ever: Beach Boys Pet Sounds. I didn't have a copy of Pet Sounds at the time. I only knew God Only Knows, Wouldn't It Be Nice (a favourite of mine and that girl's...we used to sing it to eachother over the phone or in the car before I left town) and Sloop John B. All these years later I've come to believe that Dad signed up for the Columbia House offer with no intention of ever buying the subsequent tapes just so he could give me something to help brighten my days. I still have those tapes and I still get choked up thinking about how much my dad loves me. My father really loves me. I could tell you guys so many stories but this is one of the really neat little stories that I get a giggle out of. I still vividly recall how he sold me on the idea of the box magically appearing without him knowing how or why and how he pulled each one out individually in such an order that there was a real crescendo in my enthusiasm. What a great dad.

Another quick story about that time: I was supposed to call that girl as soon as we got to Miami but things were so crazy those days that it just didn't happen. It had been three days since we got to Miami and I still hadn't called. On the fourth day I was a mess. I had stopped eating several weeks earlier and was surviving on water and teddy grahams. Well, on the fourth night, in an attempt to spur my appetite my mother made my favourite. I took a plate into my room, turned on the stereo and tried to eat but I couldn't. I took the plate back to the kitchen and put the food back in the pot and returned to my room and tried not to make too much noise as I wept. My dad came in my room and said "Come with me son, I'm taking you to a pay phone." I hadn't mentioned anything about wanting to call, he just knew. We got to a gas station and he said "cup your hands." I did and he dumped a mountain of quarters into them and said "i'm going to go get a pack of cigarettes." So there in a gas station parking lot through my tears, I called the girl and had a quick conversation. I hung up and my dad said "you ready?" I said "yeah" and we drove back home. My dad has, almost always, had a perfect sense of what I needed at any given moment: a phone call, Pet Sounds, a call to remind me to check my blood pressure, a couple bucks or a pat on the back. He's a great man, an incredible friend and a tremendous father.

Anyway...back to all of us shitty people with bad credit.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

Those are great stories Broken. Sounds like your Dad is a stellar guy.

Here in Alberta the credit rating doesn't effect your insurance rate but they do check to see if they will put you on a monthly payment plan.
    So yes I pay my insurance up front every 6 months.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2