Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Default 2010 NFL Off-Season Thread

Another season has passed and who will improve themselves the most and who sells.

I'd like to see The Pats get Peppers, and improve the offensive line and most likely add another reciever since who knows how long before Welker plays.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Pats should have an interesting off season. I'd like to see them try and swing a deal for Brendan Marshall out of Denver. They need to find a couple of guys in the draft that can rush the passer and add a running back because I'm not sold on Maroney being the guy. With a good draft and a couple of tweaks via free agency the team could be poised to make a run at the Super Bowl next year. Getting Wilfork, Gostkowski and Brady signed should be big time priorities.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Album

In the mood for OU812
    Favorite VH Song

"Mean Street"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 261 Times in 177 Posts

Here's a nice article from Nick Canepa, regarding the Brees/Rivers situation. Some people don't realize the Chargers have had much more success with Rivers at QB than they did with Brees...

In '03, Brees wasn't ready for sainthood

By Nick Canepa, UNION-TRIBUNE COLUMNIST

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 12:04 a.m.

Drew Brees now is a Super Bowl-winning quarterback, and while we can try pointing more fingers than a school of squid as to the why of it — the reason he accomplished this as a Saint and not as a Charger — in the end they all aim at one person: Drew Brees.

Nothing personal. When it mattered, when the team thought he had a chance to be The Guy, he wasn’t nearly good enough. There is no other reason — other than Drew Brees.

Passionate fans love to put themselves in the Hawaiian shirts occupied by General Manager A.J. Smith, so let’s play that game. Let’s play Smith — and Marty Schottenheimer, coach at the time — and be totally honest, rational and unemotional about the entire process that led to Brees being the star in New Orleans’ stunning Super Bowl victory over Indianapolis.

It’s so simple, even I get it.

The NFL is a production-based, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. Remember that from the start. It’s hard — especially for quarterbacks.

Anyway, in 2001, then-Chargers GM John Butler drafted Brees out of Purdue with his first choice in the second round. Brees played in 16 games in 2002 and was all right — the team went 8-8 — but instead of improving, he regressed. Badly.

In 2003, he started 11 games, benched for five games at midseason in favor of 39-year-old Doug Flutie. San Diego’s record under Brees was 2-9. He passed for 2,108 yards. His completion percentage was 57.6. He threw 11 touchdown passes against 15 interceptions. His passer rating was 67.5. To be kind, he stunk.

As a result, the Chargers were the worst team in football and therefore had the No. 1 pick in a 2004 draft featuring three promising quarterbacks — Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers. What were the Chargers to do, gamble Brees would snap out of it and eventually take them to Super Bowls?

As Smith has told me more than once: “We had to draft a quarterback.” Absolutely. Positively. Brees’ performance — getting beat out by a short 39-year-old? — made it so.

We won’t get into the entire Eli Manning thing here, but Schottenheimer and his staff coached at the Senior Bowl in 2004, and their quarterback was Rivers. Schottenheimer fell in love with the kid out of North Carolina State.

This also was a time when A.J. and Marty actually were communicating, so when the draft came around and Manning cried that he didn’t want to play in San Diego, Rivers eventually became the choice.

No way anyone without a halo could have predicted what happened next.

Schottenheimer may not admit it now; the plan was to start Rivers his rookie year. But Rivers reported late to training camp, death for quarterbacks, and Brees did well enough in August to keep the starting job.

And then, for whatever reason — he’s always been a great competitor, so maybe his getting pushed pushed him — Brees excelled in 2004. The team went 12-4 and made the playoffs, losing the memorable game to the Jets. Brees became a Pro Bowler, throwing 27 touchdowns against seven picks.

Meanwhile, Rivers, who had signed for $40 million-plus, sat. The Chargers put a franchise tag on free agent Brees and he had another fine season in 2005, although his team wasn’t as good, finishing 9-7 and missing the playoffs. But, in the final game of the regular season against Denver (why was he playing?), Brees dove after a fumble, tearing up his throwing shoulder.

Famed orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews obviously did an amazing job on that shoulder, but there was no way the Chargers — who had Rivers in waiting — or any other team (or Brees for that matter) could predict the future.

San Diego offered him $2 million guaranteed — with makable incentives that would take it to $9 million if he played — and only one other team made Brees an offer, New Orleans. The Saints chummed him a one-year guarantee of $9.5 million, with future options if he remained healthy and played.

Did Brees want any part of New Orleans? Some people think he didn’t. But his future was in doubt and he was offered nearly $10 million. He says it was a “calling” now. But he went for the dough.

The huge monetary gamble worked for New Orleans. The Chargers got Rivers, their own Pro Bowl quarterback, out of it, but he hasn’t won a Super Bowl. Now Brees has, and people are screaming that, once again, the Chargers have blown it.

Smith blew it in one regard. After Brees’ Pro Bowl 2004 season, he never was going to be worth more to other teams. Smith knew Rivers was the quarterback of the future. Teams were dying for quarterbacks. Brees should have been traded then.

Instead, he was allowed to walk after the injury, and with the 2006 third-round pick San Diego got in compensation from the Saints, Smith took linebacker Anthony Waters. He’s not here anymore.

If you want to gripe, gripe about that. If the Chargers thought Brees would become what he’s become, they certainly wouldn’t have drafted a quarterback. Common sense.

Those are the facts. Feel free to tweak them. I’m sure some of you will.
    VAN HALEN
    7-7-15 Ridgefield, WA
    12-1-07 Portland, OR
    10-22-04 Seattle, WA
    10-19-04 Portland, OR
    8-13-04 Oakland, CA
    8-11-04 Sacramento, CA
    8-10-04 San Jose, CA
    8-7-04 Las Vegas, NV
    8-6-04 Las Vegas, NV
    7-10-98 Portland, OR
    9-15-95 Portland, OR
    8-18-93 Portland, OR

Sammy Hagar
    5-8-15 Lake Tahoe, NV
    5-2-08 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-30-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-29-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    10-13-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-12-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-9-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    7-10-99 Portland, OR
    8-15-97 Eugene, OR

David Lee Roth
    8-19-05 Eugene, OR
    6-28-03 Tacoma, WA
    6-17-03 Portland, OR
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    9-2-01 Seattle, WA

Chickenfoot
    6-3-12 Portland, OR

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Good article sums up the Brees/Rivers situation pretty good. Couple of things I would like to add. I heard Doug Flutie on a radio talk show recently say he urged people at SD to stick with Brees. He said he talks with Drew weekly to this day and that he offers football advice. As for Shottenheimer. A great regular season coach 21 seasons with a .613 winning% and no championships. Norv Turner is following suit. Oh and Marty you should have taken big Ben so my Ravens could have beaten the Stillers and kept 2 more rings out of Stiller town you dumbass!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

No football today. Damn. Gonna be a long offseason.
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Well, the annual "Will he or won't he?" Brett Favre watch has begun. I hope he comes back. The Vikings are a pretty young team, especially offensively with guys like Harvin, Peterson, Rice all being 25 or under. I don't expect Favre to have a season like he had last year, but he shouldn't have to.

The defensive line is solid. I expect Pat Williams to return, the linebacker corps is pretty strong as well. The Vikings front 7 are as good as any in the NFL. The cornerbacks and safeties concern me a bit. Cedric Griffin is coming off of surgery for a torn ACL and Winfield had foot problems that bothered him over the last part of the year. Letting Darren Sharper go proved to be one of the dumber moves the Vikings have made in recent years and Williams and Johnson don't exactly strike any fear in opposing receivers or QB's

Our Offensive line needs to gel a little more. Favre got sacked 34 times last season. That's too much for any QB regardless of age. Our center was a 2nd year player in his first year starting at center, so having that year under his belt will help, and Loadholt was a rookie starting at right tackle, so he should improve as well. I would like to see the Vikings improve their right guard position, as Herrera and Hicks just don't get it done.

Peterson needs to get the fumbling thing under control. If not, put his ass on the trading block, because honestly, his running was far from impressive last year. I know he got almost 1,400 yards but during the last half of the year he was unimpressive. Only in the NFC Championship game did he start to get his old form back, both running and fumbling.

Anyone that watched the NFC Championship, knows the Vikings dominated the Saints on both sides of the ball. The 5 turnovers (4 of them in scoring position, and 1 that the Saints turned into a TD) killed us. With a veteran QB, this team can make another run at the Super Bowl. Without one, we're a 9 or 10 win team that probably makes an early exit from the Playoffs.

By the way, this was the 12th time in their history that the Vikings lost to the eventual Super Bowl champions in the playoffs.
    Last edited by Viking; 02.15.10 at 07:24 AM.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84 View Post
    No football today. Damn. Gonna be a long offseason.
    Especially if there's a work stoppage. Which looks likely.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    Especially if there's a work stoppage. Which looks likely.
    But that would be after next season.

I still think they can't be that stupid. Tell me they can't be that stupid.
    Last edited by Double Down; 02.15.10 at 07:48 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post

Posted from mobile device.
    It's not stupid just greedy.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

Donor

Sebastian Janikowski-K- Raiders Feb. 16 - 11:56 am et

Raiders agreed to terms with K Sebastian Janikowski on a four-year, $16 million contract. The deal includes $9 million guaranteed.

The Raiders can't recognize talent at the quarterback or wide receiver positions, but at least now have the highest paid placekicker/punter (Shane Lechler) combination in the league. Janikowski, 32 in March, connected on 26-of-29 field goal tries last year, including 6-of-8 from beyond 50 yards. Unfortunately, he got only 17 PAT chances. In order for this signing to be truly worthwhile, the Raiders will have to discover an offense going forward.

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post

You never know, but man...there's so much on the line for both parties i cant imagine there would be a stoppage. Unless the owners and players union both think they have an ace in the hole...which what sucks, is they do. Football is king in this country, i just cant imagine there actually being a stoppage.
    Dealing with it.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

There will be. Stupid and greedy are a bad combination. The bottom line is that the owners refuse to be held accountable for their own behavior, and will take the game down with them.

SD made the right call with Brees - they couldn't keep them both, and with the damage to Brees...hell, even the Dolphins shied away. QB's throwing shoulder torn to bits? Can't put all your chips there if you have a choice, which they did.

We'll see what happens with the Pats. The fear here is that they're going to play small market bargain games. It's very frustrating - they are really taking their "way of doing things" too far, and acting like something they aren't - small market and cash strapped. They make a ton of $, and can afford to go nuts in an uncapped year like 2010. But they are hard core in line with the small market owners, and they won't spend. They'll use the uncertainty of the CBA as an excuse - it's been put out there that any new CBA could hold teams accountable for their spending in 2010. Which is bullshit - no CBA has ever looked backwards like that. The Pats could easily take advantage of what they have, go out and sign a bunch of free agents to either massive one year deals or huge up front dollars, and make a run at it while you still have Brady around his prime.

But they won't - they'll waste what they have trying to play bargain shoppers on principle. Stupid...

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

Donor

Default I see a pattern here

Best and worst of the decade:

BEST TRADE: Patriots deal a fourth-round pick to the Raiders for wide receiver Randy Moss; April 29, 2007
    The fourth-round pick became cornerback John Bowie, who never started a game for the Raiders and was cut in 2009. Moss caught 23 touchdown passes for the Patriots in his first year and became the deep threat Tom Brady never had. Classic case of the Patriots pilfering a problem child from a bad team, and the problem child being so happy to be out of football jail that he becomes a model citizen and helps the Patriots win big.

WORST FREE-AGENT SIGNING: Raiders sign wide receiver Javon Walker to a six-year, $55 million deal; March 5, 2008
    Before free agency in February 2008,Denver coach Mike Shanahan had a pro scout compile an analysis about all looming Broncos free agents, including Walker. The report on the oft-injured Walker: He couldn't stay healthy, and the scout wrote it would be a terrible risk at any salary. So with no competition on the market for him, Oakland still gave Walker $16 million in guaranteed money. An idiotic signing if there ever was one (the contract has since been restructured). In nearly two years, Walker has produced this: 15 catches, 196 yards, one touchdown.

BIGGEST DRAFT BUST: JaMarcus Russell, 2007, first pick (first round), Raiders
    He obviously has time to turn around his career, but Russell's story seems a classic case of a kid who got too much money way too early in an immature life.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0g0wv2ORl
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    BIGGEST DRAFT BUST: JaMarcus Russell, 2007, first pick (first round), Raiders
    He obviously has time to turn around his career, but Russell's story seems a classic case of a kid who got too much money way too early in an immature life.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0g0wv2ORl
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Only the Russell draft pick would overshadow the Heyward-Bay draft pick. Or are Raider fans still optimistic about this one?
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

Donor

We can't tell until we get a QB that can throw him the ball.