Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Default Best....Birthday.....Ever!

I was thinking about putting these thoughts into the "Talk about anything thread".....but I start so few threads, I figured, "What the Hell"....I wanted to share this with my internet family....so here goes....

First a little back story. I was adopted. I was young, only 6 months old when Mr. and Mrs "McQueen" adopted me. I knew, however, that I was adopted for as long as I can remember. Mr and Mrs McQueen felt it was important that I knew and understood and that is was possible that they loved me even more than if I was their blood since I was chosen by them. I count my blessings every day because of it. I couldn't have had better parents than them. No way. Not even close. I grew up wanting for nothing, and my "brother" who was adopted four years later from a different family, feels the same. A normal, happy, healthly, middle class family.

Now, It's not like I never wondered about my birth mother or father, because I did. It just wasn't important to me, I had a mother and a father, and in my mind they were and are my parents. It was more or less just a curiousisty more than anything else and once got older I began to believe that some dogs should be left sleeping. Careful what you wish for, right? I mean who knows? What if they don't want to be found? And if I did find them, what sort of people are they? It's very possible that I would wish I never found them at all. It was kind of like asking your girlfriend about her sexual history. You think you want to know, but you really don't. So I let it go.

Then, about 15 years ago, my father died. It crushed me. He was my hero. He never got to see his sons get married or meet his grand kids. Mrs McQueen, God bless her, suggested that I seek out my birth parents. If not for me, then for the kids. I was not interested. I had a father and now he is gone. Whats done is done. So I let it go.

Three years ago, Mrs McQueen became sick and came very close to leaving us. She recovered, but hasn't been the same since. She was older, 78 years old at the time, and was sensing that the end is near. She once again pushed to get me to find my birth family. Her reasoning was that if it were her that gave a child up for adoption, she would want to know that she did the right thing. To make sure that I was OK, and lived a good life. And, I believe, she wanted to thank my birth mother for what she did. This time I didn't let it go.

It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Endless red-tape, stone-walling by the City and County of San Francisco, petioning the court for release of my original birth certificate, writing letters, emails, court dates. Apparently, if you want to find your family, the courts must make sure that they want to be found and the average city employee could give a shit about your problems. Around and around I went with the welfare dept. For two years! And I got nothing. I finally had to hire a private company that specialized in these matters and guess what? In three days I had names, places and numbers. The first name on the list was my mother. I had a full name, last known address, date of birth, nationality, and unfortunatly....the day that she died. Two years prior.

No listing anywhere on a father. my birth mother was a bit of a "free spirit" and had no idea who the father was. That's it, end of story. Right?

Wrong. Unknown to me, my mother, on her death bed, told her only daughter that she had a brother who she had given up. She made her promise to find me. to make sure that I was OK, and to be sure that she did the right thing.

Two weeks ago my ex-wife got an email from "Jamie". Jamie had used a similar service and for some reason the email account she obtained was an old account that my ex still uses. After a few questions from my ex, there was no doubt. Jamie was my long lost sister.

After a few emails and phone calls we were trying to set up a day to meet Jamie lives in SoCal, and I am here in San Francisco, so it was difficult. On Friday my son called me to tell me that he and is sister wanted to throw an early birthday party/super bowl party for me on Sunday (my real birthday isn't for another week) but since I would be working on my birthday, they wanted to celebrate early. No problem I said.

What he didn't tell me was that he, his mom, and Mrs McQueen had arranged for Jamie to be there. So when I walked into their house I am face to face with a sister I have never met in my 44 years of life.....needless to say, I went to pieces.....and so did she.....Later,when I thought I had recovered. Jamie showed me a picture of my mother. I went to pieces....again.

We talked all night, and didn't want to say goodbye, but we did eventually. We have already exchanges several texts and phone calls and I will make the journey down to SoCal soon to meet the rest of the clan...

It came a week early, but I got a sister for my birthday.

Best present ever!

Thanks for indulging me folks.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:04 PM
    Liked 780 Times in 375 Posts

Premium Member

Wow mcqueen that's a great story. Thanks for sharing it. Happy birthday dude!
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

That is an awesome story mcqueen! Congrats to you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:07 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

WOW Dude!!! That is so cool, I even teared up a bit while reading that. Congrats to you and Jamie. Very cool my friend!!
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Wow! Amazing story. Thanks for sharing it with us, and congratulations!

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Thats an amazing and heart warming story McQueen! Thanks for sharing it with us and have a wonderful birthday!!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Dude, if I'd known you wanted a sister for your birthday, YOU COULDA HAD MINE!!!!!!!! Seriously, awesome story, happy birthday and congrats!!
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

That's a wonderful story. Good for you, man!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Beautiful, thanks for sharing. You're a blessed man.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:00 PM
    Liked 2,381 Times in 1,486 Posts

Premium Member

Wow Steve that was even better than The Great Escape or the Blob! Casting should start ASAP.....Awesome!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

That was truly a great story. Happy Birthday McQueen.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Wow....how's that for a tear-jerker?? Awesome story, Steve. Thanks for sharing that.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

05.05.14 @ 10:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WOW--what a heartwarming story to start the day. Congrats and happy birthday.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

man...that's incredible Steve. Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your birthday and your new sister!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Thank you for sharing.

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top