VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Default High Def T.V.

Alright all, Im finally thinking about getting an HD TV. Searched and couldn't find an existing thread on it.

I know I should get 1080p, anything else that's a must have? Is there a screen size that lends itself? Is there one manufacturer that is really good or bad?

I guess Blu-Ray is the only game in town for the HD DVD players correct?

Thanks for the input everyone.

Favorite VH Album

Entire catalogue
    Favorite VH Song

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Donor

Sorry man, I have got no TV in my flat.
    Maybe I'll finally think about getting one a day...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

personally id get any screen over 32"...try out various brands in stores andpick the one you like best, get a decent dolby surround sound system and a blu ray player, and don't scrimp when it comes to your connectors, get the best quality cables and conectors you can afford...believe me, it makes a difference

currently i have a Phillips 52" lcd tv linked up to a sony Blu Ray player and Sky+ hd satellite tv next im planning on an upgrade for my technics surround system, oh and i can't forget the xbox 360 thats wirelessly linked to my P.C. to so i can stream content.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 797 Times in 382 Posts

Premium Member

LCD, yes. 1080p, yes. And 120hz. (240hz is hype. 120hz is great. Stay away from 60hz).

You play less for plasma for a reason. Stick with the LCD's or LED's.

Samsung, Sony, and Vizio are three of the top LCD/LED brands.

Get something at least 40" if it's for a living room.

P.S. LED's are LCD T.V's (same type display, liquid crystal). They're called LED because of the way the screen is lit. With LED's (light emitting diodes) instead of a bank of florescent tubes like other T.V.'s.

Go with LCD, or if you want to spend more then get an LED. The best picture out there.

And yes, especially with 40" or larger you really want 1080p and 120hz.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

09.16.13 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    and don't scrimp when it comes to your connectors, get the best quality cables and conectors you can afford...believe me, it makes a difference
    Ugh... Do not spend a crazy amount of money on cables. You may as well just burn your money. Find out what cable you need to do what you want to do, and then get it from monoprice, or from a local store with a price the same as on monoprice (good luck with that though). This is especially true with HDMI cables.

http://www.monoprice.com/

As far as picking out a TV, the size depends on how far you plan on sitting from it. The farther you sit from the TV, the bigger it should be. If you have a small room and sit close to the TV, don't get anything too big. This link should help.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XsAaSMM...placement.html

As far as specific brands and models; Figure out what features you want and start going to stores to look. Read reviews online and narrow it down to a few well-reviewed models that are within your budget. Then just pick the one that looks the best to you.

Finally, the Sony PlayStation 3 makes a great Blu-Ray player. I don't even have any games for it. I just use it as a media server and a Blu-Ray player. It works great and is the benchmark that all other Blu-Ray players are measured against. Whenever they add a new feature or capability to the Blu-Ray standard, they always make sure it will work with the PS3 with no more than just a simple software update, since that's what most people use.

Good luck!
    Last edited by FatStrat85; 02.05.10 at 09:28 AM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

asking this sort of question is like asking 5 guys for directions...you get 10 different routes to the same place. heeheehee

I was initially very turned off by plasma because of their short lifespan, cost compared to LCD and their weight but in the world of flat panel TVs, I've now come to prefer plasma. They've addressed the lifespan issue, the price has come down and you don't have to worry about any of that screen lag and pixelation that still troubles LCD models.

However, don't think that the only way to go is flat panel. Explore DLP technology. I absolutely LOVE DLP projection TVs. They now have LED DLP which are just fantastic. Mitsubishi and Samsung are the two best manufactures of these. You get way more screen for your money so if wall mounting the TV is not a necessity, I would highly suggest going with DLP.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 11,591 Times in 4,941 Posts

Plasmas's have better color saturation, LCD's last longer...or so they say.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Great stuff guys, thanks!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

if you are going with LCD don't get too hung up on the whole 60mhz, 120 mhz 240 mhz thing.

It boils down to what you are going to watch on it. For most people 60 mhz is just fine. However, if you're a gamer or you like to watch a lot of sports or movies that are action packed and have a lot of CGI, 120 is really a better bet. As far as 240, everything I've read says it's overkill because the human eye can't really process the difference but, with 3D becoming the new thing, 240 will probably end up being more important because you'll get a full 120 per side.

That's a ways a way though and since by then you'll probably end up buying another TV, 120 is a safe bet...but you can save a couple hundred bucks by going 60mhz if you aren't a real techie kind of guy.

Of course, all of this is a moot point if you go plasma because they don't suffer from the issues that LCD TVs do that necessitate paying attention to the refresh rate.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

09.16.13 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    if you are going with LCD don't get too hung up on the whole 60mhz, 120 mhz 240 mhz thing.

It boils down to what you are going to watch on it. For most people 60 mhz is just fine. However, if you're a gamer or you like to watch a lot of sports or movies that are action packed and have a lot of CGI, 120 is really a better bet. As far as 240, everything I've read says it's overkill because the human eye can't really process the difference but, with 3D becoming the new thing, 240 will probably end up being more important because you'll get a full 120 per side.

That's a ways a way though and since by then you'll probably end up buying another TV, 120 is a safe bet...but you can save a couple hundred bucks by going 60mhz if you aren't a real techie kind of guy.

Of course, all of this is a moot point if you go plasma because they don't suffer from the issues that LCD TVs do that necessitate paying attention to the refresh rate.
    It's Hz, not MHz. You can't have millions of frames per second...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by FatStrat85 View Post
    It's Hz, not MHz. You can't have millions of frames per second...
    I stand corrected. Thank you!

Though...I think the TV industry just found it's next challenge!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Plasmas's have better color saturation, LCD's last longer...or so they say.
    Plasma's much better to watch sporting events(Super Bowl) on!
    You can get a 12-15 yr factory warranty on it,which is about how long an LCD would last.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'll join on this one. When you go to a store, there's alot of pressure to go the HDMI cable route.
    #1: It's a clean single cable installation.
    #2: It combines digital audio with the one cable.
    #3: The store will tell you it's the only way to go to get true HD picture.
    #4: It's mondo expensive, especially if you need more than 6ft. from your box.
    Do yourself a favour, and go with a high quality component video cable. It plugs in to the HD1 or HD 2 input on your TV. You will need an audio cable, and you can either go the analog route or the digital optic out.
    The picture is fantastic, and you can seriously save a hundred bucks. With HDMI cable, the best truly are more expensive with gold connectors. The high quality component cable has gold as well, and they also usually come with a fabric shell. They actually look quite good. HDMI is over rated. I had it, and I ended up putting a break in it. There was 175 clams down the drain. Save your money. You would not notice a difference. As far as the above posts, yeah go with LCD. The big brands are good. Sony, Samsung, Panasonic. I have a 42" Panasonic, and a 46" Sony, and they both look great, and yes, go with the higher Khz, models. The image is much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatStrat85 View Post
    Ugh... Do not spend a crazy amount of money on cables. You may as well just burn your money. Find out what cable you need to do what you want to do, and then get it from monoprice, or from a local store with a price the same as on monoprice (good luck with that though). This is especially true with HDMI cables.

http://www.monoprice.com/

As far as picking out a TV, the size depends on how far you plan on sitting from it. The farther you sit from the TV, the bigger it should be. If you have a small room and sit close to the TV, don't get anything too big. This link should help.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XsAaSMM...placement.html

As far as specific brands and models; Figure out what features you want and start going to stores to look. Read reviews online and narrow it down to a few well-reviewed models that are within your budget. Then just pick the one that looks the best to you.

Finally, the Sony PlayStation 3 makes a great Blu-Ray player. I don't even have any games for it. I just use it as a media server and a Blu-Ray player. It works great and is the benchmark that all other Blu-Ray players are measured against. Whenever they add a new feature or capability to the Blu-Ray standard, they always make sure it will work with the PS3 with no more than just a simple software update, since that's what most people use.

Good luck!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Currently: 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

05.30.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I'll join on this one. When you go to a store, there's alot of pressure to go the HDMI cable route.
    Do yourself a favour, and go with a high quality component video cable. It plugs in to the HD1 or HD 2 input on your TV. You will need an audio cable, and you can either go the analog route or the digital optic out.
    The picture is fantastic, and you can seriously save a hundred bucks. With HDMI cable, the best truly are more expensive with gold connectors. The high quality component cable has gold as well, and they also usually come with a fabric shell. They actually look quite good. HDMI is over rated. I had it, and I ended up putting a break in it. There was 175 clams down the drain. Save your money. You would not notice a difference. As far as the above posts, yeah go with LCD. The big brands are good. Sony, Samsung, Panasonic. I have a 42" Panasonic, and a 46" Sony, and they both look great, and yes, go with the higher Khz, models. The image is much better.
    Just my 2 cents, but I beg to differ. You can go the HDMI route and pay less than $1 in some cases. I used to do installs and worked in TV production for 10 years. A cable is a cable. Here is a link to a good quality HDMI cable on Amazon for $10. http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ul...5405459&sr=8-2

I personally use a $1.99 HDMI cable on my Sony SXRD and have FANTASTIC quality with it. HDMI carries more information than component and the tests prove it. The tests do NOT prove better quality between a $1 HDMI and a $100 HDMI. Again, just my 2 cents.
    Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    wasn't there a thread about HDMI cables not too long ago? It seemed like the general consensus was NOT to spend the extra dough on "high end" HDMI cables and just grab them from a wholesaler online for 5-10 bucks a pop because there was no real difference between them and the expensive ones retailers try to push because of their profit margin. (there's BIG money in selling cables.)
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.