Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Default Assisted Suicide

Not trying to start a depressing thread here, but I'm still unsure as to why this is considered a crime. Personally, if my life, or quality of, is that bad and I can't get the job done myself, I would like to think that a little help my way would not be punished.

On a brighter note, after several hours of intense work, I have managed to organise my socks into ascending order of shade. Not as easy as you might think, considering I have a vast collection of black socks, many bought at the same time in multi packs and worn and washed equally.

Anyway, from the timesonline website.....

SIr Terry Pratchett calls for assisted death to be legalised
    (David Bird)
    Pratchett wants to be a test case for an "assisted suicide tribunal"

Rosemary Bennett, Social Affairs Correspondent
    6 Comments
    Recommend? (6)
    The debate over assisted suicide will be reopened tomorrow when Sir Terry Pratchett uses the annual Dimbleby Lecture to call for a radical overhaul of the law.

The best-selling author, who has early-onset Alzheimer’s disease, will say that the “time is really coming” for assisted death to be legalised.

He will also offer himself as a “test case” for an assisted suicide tribunal, a body that he believes should be set up to give people legal permission to end their life with medical help.

A poll for the BBC Panorama programme, which will also be screened tomorrow evening, has revealed strong support – 73 per cent – for friends and relatives to be spared prosecution if they help someone with a terminal illness to end their life.

However, support declines for cases in which the illness is not fatal, with 48 per cent backing the right of friends and family to help a suicide and 49 saying they should be prosecuted.

Last week Kay Gilderdale was cleared of attempting to murder her daughter Lynn, who was paralysed by ME.

Sir Terry said that if he knew he could end his life at a time of his choosing, without the fear of incriminating a friend or family member, he would enjoy the rest of his life far more.

“If I knew that I could die at any time I wanted, then suddenly every day would be as precious as a million pounds. If I knew that I could die, I would live. My life, my death, my choice,” he will say in the lecture.

“I certainly do not expect or assume that every GP or hospital practitioner would be prepared to assist death by arrangement, even in the face of overwhelming medical evidence. That is their choice. Choice is very important in this matter. But there will be some, probably older, probably wiser, who will understand.”

Summing up his feelings as he faces a difficult future he will say: “It’s that much heralded thing, the quality of life that is important. How you live your life, what you get out of it, what you put into it and what you leave behind after it. We should aim for a good and rich life well lived, and at the end of it, in the comfort of our own home, in the company of those who love us, have a death worth dying for.”

Campaigners such as Debbie Purdy are calling for clarity in the law. Her landmark appeal led to the Director of Public Prosecutions reviewing the current guidelines.

If Ms Purdy’s progressive MS becomes too much, she wants to be sure that her husband Omar will not be prosecuted if she chooses to die with his help at the Digitas clinic in Zurich.

Interviewed for Panaorama with Mrs Gilderdale, she criticised MPs for refusing to properly debate the issue, or consider legislation, prefering to leave it to the courts.

“I think the idea of saying, well a fudge in the law, lack of clarity, let’s not talk about it, let’s not get it any clearer – it’s a lack of respect for the democratic process,” she saids.

"This is the only law in the United Kingdom where carrying out an act is legal, but assisting in that act is illegal.”

Baroness Campbell of Surbiton, who is opposed to change, said that she feared the DPP’s new guidelines would be the thin end of the wedge to legalised assisted suicide.

The DPP’s interim guidelines laid out 16 factors which would determine whether someone would be prosecuted.

“They’re not just guidelines, they’re the beginning of the process. Once you open the door a crack, you’re beginning to sanction or say to a culture, yes in some circumstances it is right to mercy kill disabled or terminally ill people,” she said.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

My family and I have every reason to believe my grandfather's friend assisted him in taking his own life while he was in the hospital. My grandfather married my grandmother in 1945 after the war ended, and in 1993 she died unexpectedly during routine surgery. He was devastated. He died 10 days later, his doctor saying that medically he should not have died. Due to the infighting my family was going through, an autopsy was never performed, and though my grandfather was in the early stages of prostate cancer, there was no apparent reason for his death.

We've speculated ever since that my grandfather's close friend helped him somehow, maybe with a drug or an IV of some kind. We never seen his friend again, but we respect what he may have done because my grandfather was beyond depressed, and had no will to live.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

im all for assisted suicide, like greame has already stated, if i was incapacitated in some way and my quality of life was greatly diminished, to the point i had to be fed through a tube (peg fed) i couldnt walk or talk or had little idea of my friends, family or surroundings, i'd like to think someone would consider my feelings before whatever caused it and assist me in ending my life...we do afteral do it for our pets.
    that being said the system is always open to abuse by people who have motives other than those for helping people. strict guidlines should be drawn up and test cases should be heard and only certain well respected doctors should be allowed to perform the act which should also be whitnessed by someone appointed by a family member.

although this is something i strongly believe in, having mismatched socks isnt something i would consider just cause for assisted suicide!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This subject is very close to my heart. My 88-year-old mother has liver cancer. I have watched her slowly deteriorate, especially during the times she is on chemo. She has begged the doctors to stop. She has told me she is ready to go. It's not time yet. She still has good days where she can walk, think coherently and enjoy her children and grandchildren. When the time comes and her quality of life is no longer viable I have made a promise to her. Yes, we have discussed it. I am very adamant that assisted suicide should be legalized.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

No Tommy. I do hope you did not misunderstand my sock organising comment.

Indeed, that is something to live for. You should see my wardrobe now. It is fantastic.

A shade up. A shade up. It looks great....
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I can never understand why there is such a taboo against a person deciding when, where and how their own life should end. I mean, as long as they're not taking others along with them, why should we tell someone who is suffering, whether it be daily physical pain or mental anguish, that they have to stay on board as long as possible? So that they can continue to experience a pain that we don't possibly know? How decent of us! It seems we get more people fighting for "choice" to terminate the unborn than we get fighting for the rights of those who actually could choose their own destiny, if given the "choice". Stupid. Yeah, their loved ones and friends will be left behind to deal with it, but so what? They'd be just as left behind if the person died in a car wreck. So again, someone has to stick around, no matter how pained or tormented they feel so that their friends and family won't be sad sooner than necessary? Be so nice if there was a place people could go - could have a counselor there for them to speak to first, but if after counseling they should still desire to take their leave of us all, they should be allowed to do so at the care of a licensed physician who can make their exit as painless as possible.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I support people's right to suicide, assisted or otherwise. Our lives are the last line of individuality and we should be able to decide for ourselves when and how we want to end it.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If we have come to the point medically that we can keep people alive indefinitely going against the laws of nature, then we should also allow people to die with dignity at a time of their own choosing. Our bodies were not designed to last forever yet we keep said bodies lying in a hospital bed detriorating just because some feel it's the right thing to do. You can't have it both ways whether people feel it's goes against the hippocritic oath, a moral issue, religious, or otherwise.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

I agree 79.

What some people call assisted suicide, I call turning off the machines that are unnaturally prolonging their life anyway.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Well, I'm not against assisted suicide, in all honesty, if I could've helped my mother end her agonizing battle against cancer, I would have. It is SO hard to see someone you love SO MUCH in THAT kind of pain and suffering.....When she was called home, she was at absolute peace, and I know this may sound terrible to some of you, but when she did go, I was relieved...to think that she wasn't in pain anymore, no more doctors, no more poking and prodding her frail little body, no more intense fear EVERY time she had to go to the doctor to find out the results of a scan or test, no more being SO SICK every time she had a treatment that it landed her in the hospital. Don't you all know that dying is an even bigger miracle as being born?? My mother and my family are blessed.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

My mum was in such a bad way when she passed it was a blessing. She lost the one thing that kept her a whole human being, her dignity and it mentally broke her. (She became incontinent). I can remember my dad saying how glad he was she was out of all that, (she kept saying how sorry she was for the mess and my dad broke at the thought of her apologising for dying.. it was a horrible time) and I know, if it had gone on much longer, she would have wanted to die. Being strict Catholic, she would never have acted on it but she was praying for it I know.

When it's inevitable, and when there is no hope but future pain and suffering, it should be the persons choice.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

If ever I think it would be much better to have a funeral director calling the shots to terminate one's life.
    Please leave the doctors and hospitals to the people that want to get healthy.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When my father got to the point that the doctor's told us there was not hope anymore. We all agreed that it was time. Because that would have been what he would have wanted. Dignity and quality have to be there. Without those he wouldn't have wanted to be here. Life without dignity and quality, just isn't life.

I got my husband and son together at the same time and made it very clear to them that if I was ever at the point that the only way I was still alive was because of machines. Pull the plugs. I'll catch up with them on the other side.

I figure Dad and I will be waiting for them with a pitcher of fresh brewed ice tea, home made black raspberry pie and home made ice.

Whatever you do be sure if you go into the hospital make sure you sign a DNR order! Makes things in your hands and crystal clear to everyone else involved.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My sister in law has already asked her sister (RN) more than once to help her pass on, but sister won't/can't do it...that's all I have to say about that.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    My sister in law has already asked her sister (RN) more than once to help her pass on, but sister won't/can't do it...that's all I have to say about that.

My heart goes out to them both VHR.