Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Last Online

01.22.16 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

This is a great read. Thanks for posting it. I think I have an old MM 1400 somewhere. I'm going to look for it today.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

The assertion by the first poster that this guitar...

...was the guitar that Ed used to record VH I with in August/September 1977 has never been proven- it's all speculative theory and conjecture on his part.

Others also claim that that body is none other than the original Franky body prior to being taped off and painted white! Again, there is no proof of this.

I personally believe that this guitar...

...was Ed's last attempt at trying make an actual Strat body with a rosewood Boogie Bodies neck (notice the oddly placed Fender sticker on the headstock) have that "sound" he was looking for. He then made his way to Wayne Charvel's shop and bought the ash body and maple neck that would go on to become the Franky.

That rosewood neck would later be installed on the Franky at one point during 1979...
    WGAF?!!

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jimmy..this one looks like a Flat Top Strat with binding!...

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post

I can see why you would think that, but trust me, Alain it is neither a flat-top nor does it have binding of any kind. Here's the another picture from the same night...
    WGAF?!!

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow..yeah..i see it now...most be some weird reflection..

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the link...I was up until two in the morning reading that stuff!

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Yeah the pics alone were kinda cool. I hadn't heard much of the stuff written there before. I just stumbled upon that by accident.
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post

I think I have that same picture somewhere without that weird 'binding'. That looks like someone traced the outline of that guitar in photoshop, (or gimp or paint.net.)

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I think I have that same picture somewhere without that weird 'binding'. That looks like someone traced the outline of that guitar in photoshop, (or gimp or paint.net.)
    Makes sense. Someone was trying to prove that that body is the Franky.
    WGAF?!!

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just some speculation on my part:

one thing that throws off this whole pickup hunt for me is the leak of the guitar hero tracks.

on there, ed sounds so brittle and harsh that it jumps out at me how much the producer/engineer team had to do with the brown sound/sound of the cvh albums.

there is no doubting that the majority of 'brown' is in eds fingers, musical sensibility and ears, but holycanoly is that dry sounds COMPLETELY different to the sounds on the cvh records.

while the brown sound changed on each record, to my ears, there are two consistent streams of sound:

a) the cvh album brown sound
    b) the live cvh sound --> the live reunion sound

having heard the leaked guitar hero tracks plus a bunch of clubdays / interview playing, his brown sound now works it self into two branches of sound running side by side, at the root of which is ed:

KING EDWARD -->(edward + producer + engineer) --> cvh albums through 1984
    KING EDWARD --> (edward live) --> cvh tours --> ( ... skip the sammy era, his sound changed as he basically went all processed during this era ... ) --> reunion tour

this continuity explains to me why ed sounds so brittle and harsh on the reunion tour ... he always had that sort of sound and just brought that forward into the reunion with the vh3 head, albeit now with hearing loss in the upper registers he is compensating even more so it is noticeable. of course, his amazing talent and technique 'round out' the sound, but i'm betting that if any of us picked up his rig it would sound totally brittle and harsh in the 'kiss' sense. this also makes sense now why ted nugent sounded like crap when he picked up eds right in that story about the early days meetup.

i think the search for the magic humbucker is futile for those reasons ... if you are searching for the humbucker from the albums, you will need eds talent + produces + engineer from those days to add to whatever humbucker you find to really nail it (otherwise gauge your search against the leaked guitar hero tracks, that is the real tone). if you are looking for the humbucker from the tours, you still need eds talent to really round out the normally harsh brittle tone he has underneath the 'rounded' music that comes out of the rig.

in other words, as long as you are in the ballpark, that is as good as it's going to get imho. the rest is magic you can't access.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lil'devil View Post

i think the search for the magic humbucker is futile for those reasons ... if you are searching for the humbucker from the albums, you will need eds talent + produces + engineer from those days to add to whatever humbucker you find to really nail it ...
    in other words, as long as you are in the ballpark, that is as good as it's going to get imho. the rest is magic you can't access.
    I agree completely.
    Let's face it, the never-ending speculation, theorizing, conjecturing and hypothesizing about Ed's early sound and the the gear that he used to accomplish it can be fun, but there's a point, a limit, where you have to just accept that those VHI sessions were a moment in time that can never quite be duplicated again... it was a confluence of events and a unique combination of people that made it possible.
    WGAF?!!

Last Online

01.22.16 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Whats strange to me is that the gear he has sold over the years, almost all of it, does not help you get that close to his early sound. Its nice stuff, his guitars are really nice, but they don't really help that much. I have to laugh at myself because in 1977 I had an old Ibanez LP and a Carvin 100 tube amp. I was closer to his rig then, than I am now after buying allot of his stuff along the way. I agree with what has been said above and will add that I think equalization is the next biggest thing to getting close his early sound.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Oh yeah. There's no doubt Ed's sound on albums is brown, but a hell of alot of that is due to the team of Templeman and Landee. Don't forget that in the 70's most players were using Marshall JMP's, which were very trebly amps. I know Ed's is a 60's Plexi which alone is warmer, but using the speakers he did, the sound, if you listen through the first two albums in particular you can hear the high end cutting through brilliantly. The EQ was rounded out very well in production without losing that bite probably due the Templeman and Landees' experience with amp technology of the day. I'm not taking anything away from Ed, I'm, just saying if it were recorded by someone else with a different vision, We'd have quite a different sonic result. It would still be brilliant playing, but maybe not as tasteful on the ears. I've maintained that VH is the sum of all the players involved, from each band member, right on through the producer and engineer.
    I've had people come to me and say the same stuff we've all heard about the difficulty of duplicating Ed's sound. Well in truth, in a live setting, they are probably coming quite close, but with the album sound, there's alot at play there. Listen to those early live boots. Aside from his style, which is instantly recognizable, the sound is brash and harsh. His pickup, though important to the gain in his sound, has little to do with the overall dynamics. Sure it cuts down some of the real scorching high end; most humbuckers do, but with everything else we know he did, there's so much more involved than one or two elements. It's also the knowledge of bringing the best of all the elements.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 02.01.10 at 08:02 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    I agree completely.
    Let's face it, the never-ending speculation, theorizing, conjecturing and hypothesizing about Ed's early sound and the the gear that he used to accomplish it can be fun, but there's a point, a limit, where you have to just accept that those VHI sessions were a moment in time that can never quite be duplicated again... it was a confluence of events and a unique combination of people that made it possible.
    It's amazing how much time and effort is put into this quest for the holy grail tone over at the Metroamp Van Halen forum. I just popped over there again and Divebomb's ad was at the top of the page. Anyway, these guys are even performing spectrum analysis on boots, studio recordings, and their own rigs as they try and zero in on the tone. I enjoy reading these experiments but thankfully I have escaped the ball and chain of this never-ending tone quest. The funny thing is that Ed has said that he doesn't like his tone on that album. Out of all the CVH albums it is the one where he had the least control over the finished product. I have felt for years that the guitar tone on VH1 is a result of the genius of Templeman and Landee. That, and of course Ed's incredible playing ability at the time. He's a relatively small guy but has large powerful hands. His fingers on both hands are like mini sledge hammers hitting the fretboard for tapping and right hand hammer-ons and pull-offs. He has that unique aggressive pick attack. Also that unusual tremolo picking style with the pick being held between his thumb and middle finger with his hand suspended over the strings (not resting on the body). This is why he would sound like Ed even with a $59 First Act guitar w/built-in speaker, and other guitarists with Ed's complete rig sound nothing like him.

This is why I just sit down w/guitar of choice, dial in some gain on the Marshall, tiny bit of delay, touch of reverb, and relish in the fact that on Ed's easier numbers I might sound 50% like him on a good day. Even that may be stretching it.