Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Default Apple Introduces the iPad

So, will this revolutionize print media the same way that the iPod did music...?

Apple announces ‘iPad’ touchscreen tablet
    Steve Jobs calls it 'truly magical' and 'revolutionary' device
    By Suzanne Choney
    updated 10:50 a.m. PT, Wed., Jan. 27, 2010

After months of rampant speculation, Apple Wednesday announced a touchscreen tablet computer, the "iPad" for consumers who want to take their movies, TV shows, music, games and reading with them, be it around the house or on the go.

"We want to kick off 2010 with a truly revolutionary and magical product," CEO Steve Jobs told a packed audience at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco on Wednesday.

"So far it really looks like an oversized iPod Touch, which is great, but if that's it, price will be paramount," said Avi Greengart, Current Analysis analyst, blogging from the event itself for Reuters news service.

The iPad weighs about 1.5 pounds, is 0.5 inch thin, has a 9.7-inch display and should have a battery life of 10 hours, Jobs said. It uses what he called Apple's own 1GHz A4 chip The tablet has the company's online iTunes Store built into it, as well as YouTube in high-definition.

The tablet uses multi-touch finger gestures and swipes like the iPhone, but the iPad's "larger screen requires less swiping to navigate," said Rubin. "That's a big plus from the iPhone."

Apple's new product comes at a time when e-readers, like Amazon's Kindle and others from Barnes & Noble and Sony are on the market, with more coming this year from companies such as Samsung and the Hearst Corp.

Last year, about 3 million e-readers were sold. Estimates are another 6 million will be sold in 2010 according to the Yankee Group. The Kindle, which has a 6-inch screen and sells for $259, has the bulk of the e-reader sales.

"There are about 6 million people who are gearing up this year to buy an e-reader. And they’re going to spend between $250 and $700 on it," said James McQuivey, Forrester Research principal analyst. "They are already people who care about media, and who are willing to spend money on media."

"So, if you can say to them, 'Gee you can spend $350 on a dedicated book reader, or you’re going to get this amazing Apple device at twice the price, but with the ability to do much more than read books,' " then Apple's tablet has a good chance of success, he said.

While many of the tablet's functions — Web surfing, movie watching, music listening — can be handled on netbooks, lighter and relatively inexpensive laptops, Apple isn't viewing its tablet as a laptop without a keyboard, McQuivey said. "Apple sees this as a personal media experience that they can create."

The tablet's "most revolutionary impact is on the way people consume media in the home," he said. "You take it from room to room, you dock it next to your bed, it becomes your alarm clock. You dock in the living room, it’s a photo frame and a video server for your TV; you dock it in the kitchen, and it displays your recipes for you."

Other major companies are coming out with their own tablets, with many of them announced at the Consumer Electronics Show earlier this month.

HTC and Google are reportedly jointly working on a tablet. HP and Dell are each planning their own tablets. Microsoft may be too, although during CEO Steve Ballmer's speech at the Consumer Electronics Show, he shared an HP slate prototype, not Microsoft's talked-about "Courier" tablet (Msnbc.com is a joint venture of NBC Universal and Microsoft.)

Pen-based tablet computers have been tried over the past decade with little consumer success, although they have made inroads in the business world.

Strong sales of Apple's device are not guaranteed, especially with a still-shaky economy and netbooks — with prices of between $300 and $400 — continuing to be popular.

What may help Apple, said McQuivey, is that the company "isn’t thinking" of tablets as "selling laptops without keyboards," as other manufacturers do; "Apple sees this as a personal media experience that they can create."

ChangeWave Research, which surveyed 3,314 consumers this month, said there is "strong consumer interest" in an Apple tablet, and that 75 percent of those who are interested say they'd be "willing to pay $500 or more," and 37 percent say they would pay more than $700.

Shopping site Retrevo.com's survey of 500 consumers found that 70 percent of them said they will not spend more than $700 for an Apple tablet. Also, 44 percent said they would not buy such a device if it requires a monthly data plan for Internet access.

And while the iPhone and iPod have been huge sellers for Apple, the company has had its share of product launches that went "thud."

Among them, the 1993 release of the Newton MessagePad, a pen-based tablet that cost around $800; the Power Mac G4 Cube in 2000, and Apple TV in 2007, a set-top box for streaming audio and video to a TV from a computer's iTunes program

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
    © 2010 msnbc.com Reprints
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35085524...h_and_gadgets/

Last Online

03.01.11 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just because someone has to say it, does the iPad come in super absorbant?

LV

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lacy_vious View Post
    Just because someone has to say it, does the iPad come in super absorbant?

LV
    No kidding, I just hope it has wings as well

Last Online

Premium Member

Apparently there is to be a new store: The iBooks Store

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulGirl5150 View Post
    No kidding, I just hope it has wings as well
    Well....since were on this side of the rails.....The wings comment made me remember this:
    Too funny!
    An open letter to Proctor and Gamble

Dear Mr. Thatcher,

I have been a loyal user of your Always Maxi Pads for over 20 years and I appreciate many of their features. Why, without the Leak GuardCore(tm) or Dri-Weave(tm) absorbency, I'd probably never go horseback riding or salsa dancing, and I'd certainly steer clear of running up and down the beach in tight, white shorts. But my favorite feature has to be your revolutionary Flexi-Wings. Kudos on being the only company smart enough to realize how crucial it is that maxi pads be aerodynamic. I can't tell you how safe and secure I feel each month knowing there's a little F-16 in my panties.

Have you ever had a period, Mr. Thatcher? Ever suffered from "the curse"? I'm guessing you haven't. Well, my "time of the month" is starting right now. As I type, I can already feel hormonal forces violently surging through my body. Just a few minutes from now, my body will adjust and I'll be transformed into what my husband likes to call "an inbred hillbilly with knife skills. "As Brand Manager in the Feminine-hygiene Division, you've no doubt seen quite a bit of research on what exactly happens during your customers' monthly visits from "Aunt Flo". Therefore, you must know about the bloating, puffiness, and cramping we endure, and about our intense mood swings, crying, and out-of-control behavior. You surely realize it's a tough time for most women. The point is, sir, you of all people must realize that America is just crawling with homicidal maniacs in Capri pants... which brings me to the reason for my letter.

Last month, while in the throes of cramping so painful I wanted to reach inside my body and yank out my uterus, I opened an Always maxi-pad, and there, printed on the adhesive backing, were these words: "Have a Happy Period." Are you fucking kidding me? Does any part of your tiny middle-manager brain really think happiness - actual smiling, laughing happiness is possible during a period? Did anything mentioned above sound the least bit pleasurable? Well, did it, James? FYI, unless you're some kind of sick S&M freak girl, there will never be anything "happy" about a day in which you have to jack yourself up on Motrin and Kahlua and lock yourself in your house just so you don't march down to the local Kmart armed with a hunting rifle and a sketchy plan to end your life in a blaze of glory. For the love of God........pull your head out Man! If you just have to slap a moronic message on a maxi pad, wouldn't it make more sense to say something that's actually pertinent, like "Put Down the Hammer" or "Vehicular Manslaughter Is Wrong", or are you just picking on us?

Sir, please inform your Accounting Department that, effective immediately, there will be an $8 drop in monthly profits, for I have chosen to take my maxi-pad business elsewhere. And though I will certainly miss your Flex-Wings, I will not for one minute miss your brand of condescending bull shit. And that's a promise I will keep. Always.

Best,

A former customer
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 01.27.10 at 11:31 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

03.01.11 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Well....since were on this side of the rails.....The wings comment made me remember this:
    Too funny!
    An open letter to Proctor and Gamble

Dear Mr. Thatcher,

I have been a loyal user of your Always Maxi Pads for over 20 years and I appreciate many of their features. Why, without the Leak GuardCore(tm) or Dri-Weave(tm) absorbency, I'd probably never go horseback riding or salsa dancing, and I'd certainly steer clear of running up and down the beach in tight, white shorts. But my favorite feature has to be your revolutionary Flexi-Wings. Kudos on being the only company smart enough to realize how crucial it is that maxi pads be aerodynamic. I can't tell you how safe and secure I feel each month knowing there's a little F-16 in my panties.

Have you ever had a period, Mr. Thatcher? Ever suffered from "the curse"? I'm guessing you haven't. Well, my "time of the month" is starting right now. As I type, I can already feel hormonal forces violently surging through my body. Just a few minutes from now, my body will adjust and I'll be transformed into what my husband likes to call "an inbred hillbilly with knife skills. "As Brand Manager in the Feminine-hygiene Division, you've no doubt seen quite a bit of research on what exactly happens during your customers' monthly visits from "Aunt Flo". Therefore, you must know about the bloating, puffiness, and cramping we endure, and about our intense mood swings, crying, and out-of-control behavior. You surely realize it's a tough time for most women. The point is, sir, you of all people must realize that America is just crawling with homicidal maniacs in Capri pants... which brings me to the reason for my letter.

Last month, while in the throes of cramping so painful I wanted to reach inside my body and yank out my uterus, I opened an Always maxi-pad, and there, printed on the adhesive backing, were these words: "Have a Happy Period." Are you fucking kidding me? Does any part of your tiny middle-manager brain really think happiness - actual smiling, laughing happiness is possible during a period? Did anything mentioned above sound the least bit pleasurable? Well, did it, James? FYI, unless you're some kind of sick S&M freak girl, there will never be anything "happy" about a day in which you have to jack yourself up on Motrin and Kahlua and lock yourself in your house just so you don't march down to the local Kmart armed with a hunting rifle and a sketchy plan to end your life in a blaze of glory. For the love of God........pull your head out Man! If you just have to slap a moronic message on a maxi pad, wouldn't it make more sense to say something that's actually pertinent, like "Put Down the Hammer" or "Vehicular Manslaughter Is Wrong", or are you just picking on us?

Sir, please inform your Accounting Department that, effective immediately, there will be an $8 drop in monthly profits, for I have chosen to take my maxi-pad business elsewhere. And though I will certainly miss your Flex-Wings, I will not for one minute miss your brand of condescending bull shit. And that's a promise I will keep. Always.

Best,

A former customer

LV

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Apple selling more overpriced junk to the mindless followers. I wouldn't own anything of theirs..................except stock

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

sounds like the kind of crap that ends up in a junk drawer...i don't care how iCool it is, seems like a pointless gadget that will be purchased by devotees and people who think they need something to do what their phones, TVs, lap tops and netbooks already do.

now then...are they taking preorders yet? heeheehee

seriously...beyond the shininess and the apple logo, I don't see what the big deal is.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

So it's a big fat ipod touch.....mmmkay.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Apple usually builds really good stuff. Much more reliable than the microsoft PC crap. I've never met anyone who has an Iphone that doesn't absolutely love it.

Why is the Apple stock so high? See the above.

I wouldn't bet against the pad being a success.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Apple selling more overpriced junk to the mindless followers. I wouldn't own anything of theirs..................except stock

Wow. I'd have to say they make the best shit I've ever owned. The way they think and develop ideas is brilliant.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

amazon has the kindle. barnes and noble has the nook, sony has the prs and there are a couple more out there, and although this is heavier by far, it may just kill the category due to its versatility

I still think I'd go blind reading those things.....except for text books and technical manuals that need to be frequently updated, just give me a plain ol paper book please.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Last Online

Premium Member

I think it will change a lot. You can use it as a large iPod Touch--but it also contains word processing and Photo editing. Movies will be easier to watch. You can read books.

And, if you want to use it as more of a laptop (instead of the virtual keyboard) you can with the keyboard dock:

The price of actual print media--newspapers, magazines, books--will eventually make the popular consumption of them decrease.

My girlfriend is the online coordinator for a newspaper owned by a giant company that is taking a hit. The editor is clinging to the print version of the paper...while the entire company has gone "paperless" otherwise. He doesn't see the irony.

The price of digital media will be significantly less--much like retail prices on average CDs were $18-20 (wholesale cost of $12) have gone down to $5-12 digitally.

I think this will be a Godsend for the news and magazine industry. This will give them an instant legitimate online source for them to sell subscriptions to digital papers and magazines while eliminating much of the costs of the print version (a majority of their costs). Costs are so high for print editions that it would be cheaper for the New York Times to a buy a Kindle for every subscriber than to continue to give them the print edition.

If the iBook store products will work on a kindle--print will mostly die, I think. It won't be tomorrow, but it will.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post

Wow. I'd have to say they make the best shit I've ever owned. The way they think and develop ideas is brilliant.
    I will say this, they have an AWESOME business model. The "coolness" factor has worked 10X for them.

As far as the actual product, I can build twice the computer for half the price. I don't own a cell phone (can't speak for that), have a Sansa mp3 player I got on sale at Best Buy for 40 bucks a few years ago that I use, I just can't understand dropping hundreds on an IPod.

I "get" Apple, and it works, I'm all for them making more money and keeping the ball rolling. Gotta admit I'm a bit worried about this thing flopping though.

My favorite Apple article
    http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008...pple-products/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Apple has always put out products that work well for what I need them to do. I am willing to pay some extra $$$ for a reliable product. Glad I did not buy a Kindle over Christmas time.

Sign me up.
    "Everything comes to me while I'm sitting on the pot." - EVH