Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Default Should I refinish my Wolf?

Ok, I put this question to a couple of our best builder/repair guys on the site and one said to air it out. So here goes:

I have a 1996 black wolf pat pend that got a bad ding in the front just under the neck pickup. It's about the size of a dime. It's through the clear coat and into the original paint.
    So the question that was posed to the aformentioned guys that I might have do it. Should I refinish it or would that take the value away in the future should it become worth a little something extra being the pat. pend early model?

I personally am not saying these are going to be worth anything because I think that there were too many made. Certainly not like a first year quilt! Is it better to leave the ding and leave original paint or is it better to be refinished but mint? That is the question for the forum.

I really dig the antique white Wolfs in the EVH line and was thinking about going that direction.

So please weigh in. I am completely torn on this as I have thought about it for over a week now. The ding really bugs the shit of of me, not that it is dead mint anyway. It's more of a player and has had a re-fret and has a few nicks in the clearcoat etc. Probably an 7.5 out of 10 without the ding. Also this is probably a guitar I will keep forever as it has sentimental value to me and is my #1. I am the original owner as well and have had this guitar longer than any guitar ever and I go through them like I do beer!

Thoughts guys?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by smme5150 View Post
    Also this is probably a guitar I will keep forever as it has sentimental value to me and is my #1. I am the original owner as well and have had this guitar longer than any guitar ever and I go through them like I do beer!

Thoughts guys?
    Since it is your number #1 keep it like it is. History and character.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

It is very possible to fix dings--especially in black finishes. The "dime-sized" spot can be cleaned out, filled, sanded, painted black, and clear-coated. With the right amount of care, diligence, and patience, you could could fix it or have someone with the know-how do so. The repair might be slightly visible, but only upon very close inspection.

That being said, if it's your Number One Wolfgang and you believe you'll always keep it, do what you want to it. If you do a complete re-finish, the obvious value-loss is something that comes with the territory. I don't think we'll see Patent Pending black Wolfgangs rise to an extreme level of value in our lifetimes anyway.

The short answer: Do whatever you truly want.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The collector in me says to do nothing, but the customiser in me says to do what you wish. I am on the fence here, as it is an early one; however, I do think many were produced and many more are in great condition. It's down to you- if you know you will keep it forever, then refin. But remember that a refin kills 50% or more of the value of your instrument. As long as you're cool with that, proceed as you wish.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok..in a nutshell...no..if you're gonna refinish a guitar it has a ding or scratch, you'll spend more time in the shop them jamming..

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Ok..in a nutshell...no..if you're gonna refinish a guitar it has a ding or scratch, you'll spend more time in the shop them jamming..
    If it were mine, Id repair. But the thing is, I know how too.
    Id also have a different finish on it every year.
    If your into the antique white, spend the money and do it up.
    Its YOUR #1. You have to have a close relationship with it. So make it the way you want it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    If it were mine, Id repair. But the thing is, I know how too.
    Id also have a different finish on it every year.
    If your into the antique white, spend the money and do it up.
    Its YOUR #1. You have to have a close relationship with it. So make it the way you want it.
    Oh sure sure..if you know how to do it..my post was more referring to someone sending a guitar to a Shop everytime a ding appeared..LOL...Dings are part of the life of an instrument..

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:46 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

I would concur with everyone else...if the ding is bothering you enough and truly keeping you up nights, I would do something but make sure a reputable pro is involved...as you want to enjoy your guitar and not have every thought of it being this issue..some people like the 'relic'd' and worn in look but if that's not for you...then you have to go with your gut....good luck with whatever you decide to do..
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Oh sure sure..if you know how to do it..my post was more referring to someone sending a guitar to a Shop everytime a ding appeared..LOL...Dings are part of the life of an instrument..
    Hee......hee......hee. Im such a prick sometimes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts...Ala, I don't just up and send stuff in with every ding I get. This guitar however has sentimental value as I said. I have several axes that are beat to f@#k and I could care less.

I did decide to start the repair process as I have enough experience in the arena. I just dont trust myself to do a class A+ refinish that would stand up to my scrutiny. I sanded the clearcoat down to just the paint. The ding is deeper than I thought. The soft basswood has a dent and the paint is chipped to the wood. I have never had a good experience with trying to blend in a repaired clearcoat in one area. Always looks like shit!

So at this point what would you experienced guys suggest? What would you use to fill the dent? Also is the black paint used by Peavey a special black color or finish? Then finally what would you fill these areas with clearcoat wise should I get the dent filled and repainted? Obviously can't spray the area? Superglue? Someone suggested this in layers?

Can someone continue with some further thoughts?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

try to 'lift' the dent using a damp towel and a soldering iron...lay the damp towel (or piece of rag) over the dent, then apply the soldering iron over the top..the steam should penetrate the wood and cause it to swell slightly there by lifting out the dent, i have done it a few times with resonable results...dunno what the pro guys would suggest, they may even say my method is shit!...lol
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    try to 'lift' the dent using a damp towel and a soldering iron...lay the damp towel (or piece of rag) over the dent, then apply the soldering iron over the top..the steam should penetrate the wood and cause it to swell slightly there by lifting out the dent, i have done it a few times with reasonable results...dunno what the pro guys would suggest, they may even say my method is shit!...lol
    Steaming out dents like that is pretty common practice tommy, so I'm not going to be the one to tell you that your method is shit.

However, I will say that black is THE hardest color to "spot repair".

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Steaming out dents like that is pretty common practice tommy, so I'm not going to be the one to tell you that your method is shit.

I agree with this post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post

yeah the guys in paint shops always say that black and red are the most difficult on cars...any idea why?
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    yeah the guys in paint shops always say that black and red are the most difficult on cars...any idea why?
    I dunno- white is just as hard; whether it is a blue-white or a yellow-ish white. Reds and blacks have so many variations. I just had a real life example of why black is hard to spot repair on my Kawasaki KZ650- which is why it is going Kawa Green... Can't get that bugger spot repaired, so I go for a total respray...

Hated that ugly black, anyways...
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!