Register
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 2,103 Times in 687 Posts

Kiss and Van Halen rockers provide howl effects for The Wolfman

By David Bentley on Jan 18, 10 02:04 PM

PUERTO RICAN actor Benicio Del Toro's strong, intense features have led him towards many dark and tragic roles, the latest being the lead in the remake of The Wolfman, released on February 12.

But the character's spine-chilling howl comes from somewhere else together.

Rock stars Gene Simmons - lead singer of Kiss - and David Lee Roth - frontman of Van Halen - were among the many people who came in to the studio to provide animalistic sound effects for the film.

Director Joe Johnston explained that the creature's blood-curdling ululations weren't as simple to achieve as you might expect.

He told BoxOffice they had listened to the baying sounds of werewolves in other films but thought most sounded phoney.

Johnston said: "When we were designing [Benicio's] howl, we were going off in a lot of different directions. We tried a lot of things to see what would work and be interesting. We listened to every wolf howl ever done on every film. We listened to all of them. And you'd be surprised how unconvincing most of them are. Some were just wolves, but some were men going, 'Aoooooooo!'

"We didn't get a lot from our research in what's been done before. We were looking for this great pure tone - we knew we were going to process it and overlay elements but we wanted that great foundation.

"We tried Gene Simmons and one of Gene Simmons' howls is in the movie. I don't think Gene Simmons would recognise it, but it's in there. We had David Lee Roth come in and do a few howls.

"It was great. These guys, they're not only singers - they're comedians. Hilarious sessions. You can imagine Gene Simmons and David Lee Roth in there howling with the picture on the screen. And they would do it, crack a few jokes, and try it again."

Johnston explained that the veteran rockers were among many 'howlers' who contributed to the monster sounds used in the film.

"We had opera singers come in and howl, we had animal impersonators. Gene Simmons and David Lee Roth were pretty near the end of the process. By then we knew what we were looking for, we were homing in on it. And their stuff became the most useful stuff that we did.

"I don't think they would recognise it after what we've done to it because we've digitally processed it and added cool overtones and all that stuff.

"We were basically just looking for a wolf howl you'd never heard before. What we realised is that everybody in the audience knows what a wolfman sounds like. Even if it's from their imagination, it's all pretty much the same thing.

"We just wanted our howl to be the best version of that howl. And I think we've come up with something that's definitely spine-tingling, and at the same time it's familiar enough that the audience is going to recognise it - it's what they expect, with enhancements."
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    By David Bentley on Jan 18, 10 02:04 PM

PUERTO RICAN actor Benicio Del Toro's strong, intense features have led him towards many dark and tragic roles, the latest being the lead in the remake of The Wolfman, released on February 12.

But the character's spine-chilling howl comes from somewhere else together.

Rock stars Gene Simmons - lead singer of Kiss - and David Lee Roth - frontman of Van Halen - were among the many people who came in to the studio to provide animalistic sound effects for the film.

Director Joe Johnston explained that the creature's blood-curdling ululations weren't as simple to achieve as you might expect.

He told BoxOffice they had listened to the baying sounds of werewolves in other films but thought most sounded phoney.

Johnston said: "When we were designing [Benicio's] howl, we were going off in a lot of different directions. We tried a lot of things to see what would work and be interesting. We listened to every wolf howl ever done on every film. We listened to all of them. And you'd be surprised how unconvincing most of them are. Some were just wolves, but some were men going, 'Aoooooooo!'

"We didn't get a lot from our research in what's been done before. We were looking for this great pure tone - we knew we were going to process it and overlay elements but we wanted that great foundation.

"We tried Gene Simmons and one of Gene Simmons' howls is in the movie. I don't think Gene Simmons would recognise it, but it's in there. We had David Lee Roth come in and do a few howls.

"It was great. These guys, they're not only singers - they're comedians. Hilarious sessions. You can imagine Gene Simmons and David Lee Roth in there howling with the picture on the screen. And they would do it, crack a few jokes, and try it again."

Johnston explained that the veteran rockers were among many 'howlers' who contributed to the monster sounds used in the film.

"We had opera singers come in and howl, we had animal impersonators. Gene Simmons and David Lee Roth were pretty near the end of the process. By then we knew what we were looking for, we were homing in on it. And their stuff became the most useful stuff that we did.

"I don't think they would recognise it after what we've done to it because we've digitally processed it and added cool overtones and all that stuff.

"We were basically just looking for a wolf howl you'd never heard before. What we realised is that everybody in the audience knows what a wolfman sounds like. Even if it's from their imagination, it's all pretty much the same thing.

"We just wanted our howl to be the best version of that howl. And I think we've come up with something that's definitely spine-tingling, and at the same time it's familiar enough that the audience is going to recognise it - it's what they expect, with enhancements."
    I hope that this flick is worth the hype. They have been pushing ti online for a LONG time...
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Now if only Ed would invite Dave to 5150 and "Howl" over a few of those guitar riffs floating around for the past ten years. That might be worth the hype.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Wonder if any of us will notice Daves howls in the movie.

Judging by that one scream after the solo in On Fire, Dave is (or perhaps was) perfectly capable of lending his voice to something of this nature.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

This is misleading. David Lee Roth isn't a member of Van Halen

Seriously, this is actually kind of a cool idea. Like Mitch said, I wonder if any of his howls will be recognizable?
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Last Online

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZachenFoot View Post
    This is misleading. David Lee Roth isn't a member of Van Halen

Seriously, this is actually kind of a cool idea. Like Mitch said, I wonder if any of his howls will be recognizable?
    Hey! Let's not get the thread off track with that comment okay youngblood?!?
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

Yeah Zach, watch your mouth.

- Buddha

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Wonder if any of us will notice Daves howls in the movie.
    Prolly not. The article states that the howl recordings were tweaked and enhanced with lots of digital effects.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Already have a good thread about this going in the Dave forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]