Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Wolfgang Special USA Wiring

Hi guys, I'm restoring a Peavey Wolfgang Special USA to stock condition right now (from parts and new parts from Peavey). Could someone please post really big pics of the inside of both control cavities on the Wolfgang? I want to make sure I have the humbuckers wired correctly polarity wise, etc, and make sure I keep wire lengths and runs as close to stock as possible.

Thanks!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also, I just test fit the pickups in the body, and they are WAY too high... Were the WG standard pickups taller??? I just ordered the pickups from peavey.... So I thougt they would fit. I mean, the neck pickup is even with the fretboard and the bridge pickup is WAY higher than that...
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 01.15.10 at 04:38 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've got an official Peavey wiring diagram I'll email to you.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks AT, that takes care of it. I'm assuming red is hot. Now I just have to figure out what the heck is up with the pickup height. There is no way these pickups won't touch the strings... Weird.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

I think they sit pretty high in the special. The bridge pickup is always higher than the neck on them as well.
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rokstar View Post
    I think they sit pretty high in the special. The bridge pickup is always higher than the neck on them as well.
    That's true. With the flat top body they appear higher than on the arch top. The neck pup should sit almost as high as the neck fingerboard, and the bridge a little higher.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    That's true. With the flat top body they appear higher than on the arch top. The neck pup should sit almost as high as the neck fingerboard, and the bridge a little higher.
    Ok, well that makes sense. I stuck an Original floyd rose that I had laying around on the wolfgang body, and the pickups were just touching the strings. I think if I get rid of the excess metal 'funnel' shape which is created when they drill the holes for the mounting screws in the pickup legs, and stick the wolfgang floyd on there (which is has slightly taller saddles as far as I can tell), it should work. I'm guessing the Wolfgang pickups are mounted really close to the strings?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I'm about done putting together my Wolfgang Special, and I confirmed that the pickups Peavey sent me are too high. Everything on the guitar is set up perfectly -- the action is nice and low, right where it should be, all of the other parts fit well, but when I stick the pickups in to test fit them, they touch the bottom of the strings completely.

I was told by Peavey that the Wolfgang 'replacement part' pickups are STILL being manufactured, so maybe whoever is making their baseplates changed them a little so they are taller, who knows.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate if someone with a wolfgang special (or better yet, with more than 1 wolfgang special so they can confirm their results) could check their guitars and confirm the correct pickup heights. I would like to know the distance from the TOP of the BLACK bobbins to the BOTTOM of the string in milimeters, if possible, for the following positions:

Bridge Pickup black bobbin to the low E string:
    Bridge Pickup black bobbin to the high e string:

Neck Pickup black bobbin to the low E string:
    Neck Pickup black bobbin to the high e string:

Make sure to fret and hold down the strings at the 22 fret while measuring so I can get a good measurement, regarless of how you have your action set.

In other words, I just need to know the length of the 'air space' between the pickups and the strings, so I can make sure my wolfgang is stock.

THANKS A TON IN ADVANCE!!!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Well I'm about done putting together my Wolfgang Special, and I confirmed that the pickups Peavey sent me are too high. Everything on the guitar is set up perfectly -- the action is nice and low, right where it should be, all of the other parts fit well, but when I stick the pickups in to test fit them, they touch the bottom of the strings completely.

I was told by Peavey that the Wolfgang 'replacement part' pickups are STILL being manufactured, so maybe whoever is making their baseplates changed them a little so they are taller, who knows.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate if someone with a wolfgang special (or better yet, with more than 1 wolfgang special so they can confirm their results) could check their guitars and confirm the correct pickup heights. I would like to know the distance from the TOP of the BLACK bobbins to the BOTTOM of the string in milimeters, if possible, for the following positions:

Bridge Pickup black bobbin to the low E string:
    Bridge Pickup black bobbin to the high e string:

Neck Pickup black bobbin to the low E string:
    Neck Pickup black bobbin to the high e string:

Make sure to fret and hold down the strings at the 22 fret while measuring so I can get a good measurement, regarless of how you have your action set.

In other words, I just need to know the length of the 'air space' between the pickups and the strings, so I can make sure my wolfgang is stock.

THANKS A TON IN ADVANCE!!!
    Here you go, dude. I measured these off my cherryburst flame custom shop Wolfgang Special.

Bridge Pickup black bobbin to the low E string: 3.5mm
    Bridge Pickup black bobbin to the high e string: 3.5mm

Neck Pickup black bobbin to the low E string: 4mm
    Neck Pickup black bobbin to the high e string: 4mm

In the case of this guitar, the black bobbin sides are sitting a little higher than the cream bobbin sides--about 1-1.5mm difference.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks a lot man! I'm really surprised they are that low with the strings fretted, especially since mine is off by a good 5mm!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks a lot man! I'm really surprised they are that low with the strings fretted, especially since mine is off by a good 5mm!
    Try and post some pictures of the pickups with the ears and baseplates visible. I might be able to tell you from looking at them if the ears are longer.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Try and post some pictures of the pickups with the ears and baseplates visible. I might be able to tell you from looking at them if the ears are longer.
    I will post some pictures of the pickups.... but I just got it all put together today, so I am enjoying my first Wolfgang! It may be a little while before I put it down long enough to take one of the pickups out again

Ya know, from the looks of things at this point, I may be getting AT Disease.... or is it A.T.W.A. Syndrome?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I will post some pictures of the pickups.... but I just got it all put together today, so I am enjoying my first Wolfgang! It may be a little while before I put it down long enough to take one of the pickups out again

Ya know, from the looks of things at this point, I may be getting AT Disease.... or is it A.T.W.A. Syndrome?
    Post some pictures of the whole guitar then, dude.

AT Disease goes much deeper than just guitars. Therapists said attempts to fix it would be futile.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another thing I noticed -- The wolfgang bridge pickup appears to be standard spaced, and the neck pickup is f-spaced. When held face to face, the neck pickup's pole pieces are a good few milimeters wider than the bridge pickup's.

When I was laying the guitar together, at first I got them mixed up because of this, but then I realized that the neck pickup, which I had in the bridge position, didn't have enough lead to even run to the switch. I checked DC resistance of the pickups, and confirmed that the F-spaced one had the higher reading, so it was in fact the neck pickup.

Just another weird thing about wolfgangs I suppose...

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Another thing I noticed -- The wolfgang bridge pickup appears to be standard spaced, and the neck pickup is f-spaced. When held face to face, the neck pickup's pole pieces are a good few milimeters wider than the bridge pickup's.

When I was laying the guitar together, at first I got them mixed up because of this, but then I realized that the neck pickup, which I had in the bridge position, didn't have enough lead to even run to the switch. I checked DC resistance of the pickups, and confirmed that the F-spaced one had the higher reading, so it was in fact the neck pickup.

Just another weird thing about wolfgangs I suppose...
    Yeah, the bridge pup should measure around 14k and the neck around 17k. I hadn't ever noticed any spacing issues between the pickups.