Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.27.16 @ 07:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

To: Eddie Van Halen- How to record and release new songs in 2010!!!

I was skimming through an article today on another one of my all-time favorite bands, Rush.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2010/01/13/12452396-cp.html

Seems as though the greatest drummer on the planet (that being Neil Peart) says he has new material written in its early stages. However, the point I'd like to make is in response to an article we all read about how Edward Van Halen isn't confident in releasing new songs for many different reasons.

Well, RUSH and in particular Neil Peart understand what may or may not be accepted with today's generation of music lovers. The realization of how the industry has changed and how music is released these days! Maybe Ed should read this article and jump on board and decide that this is the way to go when getting HIS music out to the public in 2010...

(BTW: Neil Peart officially has the coolest (NHL) drum kit on the planet!)

Check out this article:

Rush ready to record new songs

By Nick Patch, THE CANADIAN PRESS

Drummer Neil Peart of the Canadian progressive rock band Rush performs before a sold out Tweeter Center in Mansfield, Mass., on Wednesday, June 27, 2007, as part of their tour to promote their latest CD Snakes and Arrows. Peart says the legendary Toronto band is in the beginning stages of planning a new project, but the new music may not come in the form of a traditional album. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Robert E. Klein

Rush's Peart drums out hockey song

TORONTO - Rush drummer Neil Peart says the legendary Toronto band is in the early stages of planning a new project but the new music may not be released in traditional album format.

"We feel very much liberated from the album format in a way right now, because in the three years since our last album (2007's 'Snakes & Arrows'), suddenly albums don't mean anything," Peart told The Canadian Press in a telephone interview from his home in California.

"We're thinking of writing and recording a few songs and maybe releasing them, and playing them live, and then going back and doing some more later. We just feel really free (in terms) of what we might do right now.

"Anything is possible in the nicest way and we like the fact of shaking it all up."

Peart says he's started writing new lyrics while bandmates Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson are preparing at their Toronto studio ("every time we start a new record, the technology is all different, and we've gotta learn it . . . again," he explains).

Asked if he would be willing to reveal details of any of the new songs, the personable Peart replied: "No, sir. (But) I like them."

But the 57-year-old says the band is aware that the record industry is in flux, and would rather adapt with the times than worry about the past.

"We're kind of taking this as a challenge to do something with, rather than to moan about," he explained.

"(It's) a healthier reaction than getting mad: 'Aww, things aren't how they used to be - we wanted to make a 12-inch album with two sides!' Those things ARE hard to give up, and every time now we make a side one and side two mentally and build the dynamics . . . so there is something lost.

"But, on the other hand, it's pointless to lament about it, and now we have the opportunity to take advantage of this amorphous situation going on in the music business right now."

Peart was similarly forward-thinking when it came time to record a new version of "The Hockey Theme," the iconic song that has opened broadcasts of "Hockey Night in Canada" for 40 years.

Peart's version will debut on TSN during Thursday's broadcast of the Toronto-Philadelphia game and will then be used for the rest of the season by the network.

After being "blown away" by the invitation to recreate the classic tune, Peart decided on his approach: a "drum solo with horns."

Drawing on every trick in his drumming arsenal - and it's an understatement to say the famed percussionist has many - Peart tried to cram as many spectacular flourishes into the one-minute clip as he could.

He imbued a bit of a Latin flavour to the beat, included a breakneck snare fill and his classic double kick-drum fills, played with a tempo and phrasing that Peart says were unique for him.

He's hopeful that Canadians are willing to give his version a chance.

"I can only hope that it's received with the spirit and sincerity with which I offer it," he said.

"Because, like with anything else, there's bound to be a certain conservative backlash: 'That doesn't sound how it sounded before!' That is human nature, to be comfortable with things they way they were, so I can only hope people will receive it as well as I mean it."

And Peart clearly means it.

A lifelong hockey fan, he speaks with an obvious passion for the project. Peart talks of a childhood spent in St. Catharines, Ont., attending junior A games with his dad, tucking hockey cards into the spokes of his bicycle and flipping the paddles on table-top hockey games.

In the early '80s, he recalls that Rush would occasionally rent arenas after their concerts, dress up in full hockey gear and play until the wee hours of the morning.

"Play terribly, not with any grace or skill, but certainly with enthusiasm and a lot of laughter," he said.

Now living in California, Peart says he relishes tuning into games when he stays at his home in Quebec.

"One of my great pleasures is to be up there in the winter and sit down on a snowy night and put the hockey game on," he said. "It's like putting an IV into my arm of Canada, of Canadian-ness."

Recording the new version of "The Hockey Theme" in Los Angeles meant trying to educate his American musicians on the song's iconic importance north of the border.

"I told them: 'Every Canadian can hum this theme and real Canadians have it as a ringtone,"' he said.

"I said: 'This performance we're about to make will be heard by every man, woman, grandma, child, moose and beaver in Canada. There's no American analog for this. This is absolutely a nationwide phenomenon."'

Peart used a custom-designed drumset while recording the song. The set is adorned with the logos of all 30 NHL teams - each one sprayed and masked by hand, one colour at a time, he said - and a blue chrome finish that Peart wanted to look like icicles.

The set will now be kept in the Hockey Hall of Fame. That fact delights Peart, in part, because he says he was never very talented as a hockey player growing up.

"What a joke, eh!" he said with a laugh. "I made the joke to my mom, I said: 'Take THAT, bullies from 50 years ago!'

"The other joke is that we (Rush) have not been put in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but now we're in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

"I think, as Canadians, we're satisfied."

Bono Vox: Poetic, Political, extremely generous and just a tiny bit egomaniacal.

"You know twenty-five years ago, Tony Soprano was driving around Jersey in his iroc-Z just blasting the Van Halen"-David Lee Roth

"Will there be a Van Halen reunion? “I have hope and faith, and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque” -David Lee Roth

"This band is three quarters original, one quarter inevitable" -David Lee Roth~2007

"“We had a lot of fun on the tour – Dave was a blast. And next time we go out, we’re going to have some new stuff, too. I’m looking forward to getting on it. I’ve got tons of music written, such a variety of stuff… Actually, next week or the week after, Wolfie, Alex, and I are gonna start jamming. Maybe we’ll give Dave a call and see what he’s up to.” - Edward Van Halen ~ 2009

~Congratulations to 2009 World Series Champions the New York Yankees~

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

You're gonna have to really dumb that down for Ed to understand. Maybe use flash cards.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:43 PM
    Liked 16,533 Times in 9,370 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    You're gonna have to really dumb that down for Ed to understand. Maybe use flash cards.
    Do you suffer from perpetual misery or do you actually enjoy it?
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Ed could learn a lot from this part too:

He's hopeful that Canadians are willing to give his version a chance.

"I can only hope that it's received with the spirit and sincerity with which I offer it," he said.

"Because, like with anything else, there's bound to be a certain conservative backlash: 'That doesn't sound how it sounded before!' That is human nature, to be comfortable with things they way they were, so I can only hope people will receive it as well as I mean it."

And Peart clearly means it.
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Rush is a real working band that after 35 plus years continues to tour with the original line up and record new songs. Van Halen has not been a real band since Balance. The first time I saw RUSH decades ago I'am sitting in a bar before the show and talking with some guys who just go from gig to gig and they ask me if I have ever seen RUSH before? I say no. Then I ask them how many songs they play? They tell me about 40 or so each night. I'am like your full of shit! And I'll tell you what I never lost my focus in them for every song and every solo clear to the encore!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Yeah guys but Ed is, all of a sudden, hurt by any negative thoughts about any material he comes out with.

So I think he is just going to come out with shirts, and shoes and strings and guitars so that he stays on the up and up.

Ed can't take the criticism. And really...why should he waste his hard earned dough making an album that SOME people aren't going to like.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 6,688 Times in 3,708 Posts

i see where this is going and i don't like it.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:24 PM
    Liked 695 Times in 281 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    Funniest thing I've read all week. Seriously, thank you!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i see where this is going and i don't like it.
    Mike you can't be serious.

Anytime people make a sarcastic remark towards Ed and releasing music it's going to raise a red flag with the mods?

Come on dude.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Mike you can't be serious.

Anytime people make a sarcastic remark towards Ed and releasing music it's going to raise a red flag with the mods?

Come on dude.
    Not at all, just wondering what the purpose of this thread is. It may as well be called "this is why Ed sucks - let's insult him".

I didn't close it though, maybe I'm wrong about it. We'll see.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Not at all, just wondering what the purpose of this thread is. It may as well be called "this is why Ed sucks - let's insult him".

I didn't close it though, maybe I'm wrong about it. We'll see.
    I understand where you are coming from. But what is the point of any thread in the VH Main Discussion - Present/Future Forum then?

The only thread that has ANY life is the Guitar Hero thread.

Hell a DVD thread is still open even though we ALL know there won't be a Live DVD from the last tour.

If mods are worried about threads having nothing to do with the state of VH as of right now, well then lets say we just close the VH Present/Future Forum until SOMETHING happens. Because the state of VH right now is....

(wind blowing).......(tumble weeds rolling).......(hisssss).........

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I understand where you are coming from. But what is the point of any thread in the VH Main Discussion - Present/Future Forum then?

The only thread that has ANY life is the Guitar Hero thread.

Hell a DVD thread is still open even though we ALL know there won't be a Live DVD from the last tour.

If mods are worried about threads having nothing to do with the state of VH as of right now, well then lets say we just close the VH Present/Future Forum until SOMETHING happens. Because the state of VH right now is....

(wind blowing).......(tumble weeds rolling).......(hisssss).........

as has been the case for the majority of time since the links was born.

there's always something to discuss though, new interviews/rumours type stuff. most of that stuff becomes a pissing match anyways. But in the case of this thread, it was seemed to be designed to become that. But I've been wrong before, let's see where this goes, maybe it'll become a discussion on the relative greatness of AVH vs Neil Peart. That would be cool actually.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 2,080 Times in 674 Posts

That's a great attitude to have towards making music nowadays.

Rather than bitch and moan about the state of music nowadays they are taking a fresh attitude towards it and making and releasing music differently than they are used to.

I think Mike's point is that some pissy moaning bitter VH fans can also choose to hold back their venom now and then and be a little more positive themselves.

Let's hope this is the direction VH will take if they don't want to release a full cd.
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

"We're kind of taking this as a challenge to do something with, rather than to moan about," NP

Kind of says it all.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by E-roc View Post
    "We're kind of taking this as a challenge to do something with, rather than to moan about," NP

Kind of says it all.
    Also an approach that Sam has taken to a certain degree. He also has released music in a non-album fashion. "Code War" and "Open" come to mind.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!