Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Default 2010 Racing thread. F-1, Indy, Nascar, NHRA Etc.......

Racing season is just around the corner.

New season, new thread.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

From Jayski.com

NASCAR to announce changes Jan 21st: On Jan. 21 at the NASCAR Research & Development Center, officials from NASCAR are expected to announce a series of rules revisions, some drastic, others less so. It is expected that the controversial rear wing, one of the COT's [Car of Tomoorow/Today or NASCAR Racecar] most defining characteristics, will be scrapped in favor of a more traditional blade spoiler like the NASCAR Nationwide Series cars use. Also being looked it is the front splitter, which runs parallel to the racing surface and replaced the conventional front air dam. NASCAR officials also are talking about eliminating the no-passing zones at Daytona International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway, as well as other as-year unspecified changes, all aimed at helping re-energize interest in the sport. NASCAR officials said Saturday at the Sprint Sound & Speed [in Nashville] event that final decisions about the modifications have not been made, but will be announced Jan. 21.(SPEEDtv)(1-10-2010)
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I'm looking forward to the F1 season with Michael back. That should be good fun to watch with him back with Ross Brawn.

If Jayski is right and the cars go back to looking like real cars and not BMW M3's from the 80's, then CUP might be worth watching. I'll still look forward to the truck series though.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
    I'm looking forward to the F1 season with Michael back. That should be good fun to watch with him back with Ross Brawn.

If Jayski is right and the cars go back to looking like real cars and not BMW M3's from the 80's, then CUP might be worth watching. I'll still look forward to the truck series though.
    Nascar needs to do more than remove the wing and splitter IMHO. Much of the races last season were just boring.

Schumaker(sp) back in F1 will definitely bring some viewers back.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

From Jayski.com

Larger plate at Daytona? Sources tell Sirius NASCAR Radio's Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody that NASCAR could mandate a larger restrictor plate for this year's running of the Daytona 500. Sprint Cup Series racers were required to run a 31/32" plate at Daytona and Talladega last season, but multiple sources who attended a meeting with NASCAR today say the sanctioning body may allow a bigger plate this season in an effort to boost horsepower, torque and throttle response. That move would reportedly come as part of a package of changes that could include aerodynamic modifications to the rear window area and a switch from rear wings to old-style rear spoilers. A number of procedural changes are also bring discussed, including the abolition of no bumping zones and the so-called "yellow line rule" at both Daytona and Talladega. A spokesman for NASCAR declined to comment when asked about the restrictor plate change earlier today, saying that meetings are ongoing with drivers and teams, and that no final decisions have been made.(Sirius Speedway)(1-11-2010)
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

04.05.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    From Jayski.com

Larger plate at Daytona? Sources tell Sirius NASCAR Radio's Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody that NASCAR could mandate a larger restrictor plate for this year's running of the Daytona 500. Sprint Cup Series racers were required to run a 31/32" plate at Daytona and Talladega last season, but multiple sources who attended a meeting with NASCAR today say the sanctioning body may allow a bigger plate this season in an effort to boost horsepower, torque and throttle response. That move would reportedly come as part of a package of changes that could include aerodynamic modifications to the rear window area and a switch from rear wings to old-style rear spoilers. A number of procedural changes are also bring discussed, including the abolition of no bumping zones and the so-called "yellow line rule" at both Daytona and Talladega. A spokesman for NASCAR declined to comment when asked about the restrictor plate change earlier today, saying that meetings are ongoing with drivers and teams, and that no final decisions have been made.(Sirius Speedway)(1-11-2010)
    Wow Olo,

I just responded to a NASCAR fan club council survey about this, re: the wings and plates. Plus, a different format for the Shootout. I'm all for the wing and plate change. They also asked if the drivers were for it would I be for it. Hell, they drive the cars, not me. The Shootout looks better and I made a comment about the Twins and the fact you should have to race your way in, no friggin lock ins. Make em all work for it. Plus this year they will be running the Trucks at Pocono on July 31. Sweet. I'll get to see them at Martinsville and the Roval. Gotta love the trucks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

The drivers have hated the wing since the start, they all say they cant see out the back window because of it.

Nascar needs to step it up and fast.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Nascar needs to do more than remove the wing and splitter IMHO. Much of the races last season were just boring.

Schumaker(sp) back in F1 will definitely bring some viewers back.
    Well ya, NASCAR needs to do more, but that is a great start.

It will be interesting to see if The Stig can race both F1 and keep going to the Top Gear test track...if he is The Stig...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
    Well ya, NASCAR needs to do more, but that is a great start.

It will be interesting to see if The Stig can race both F1 and keep going to the Top Gear test track...if he is The Stig...
    They revealed the stig awhile ago, its not Michael.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Anyone watching to show Madhouse. Its on the History channel. The first episode was last Sunday, so far I liked it.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

NASCAR had to do something positive when it comes to changes. I agree that some of the races I watched last year weren't as exciting as in the past.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The plate issue, since I am practically in the backyard of DIS, has been a hot topic lately. It hasn't been lost on many that bringing back Winter testing at Daytona, particularly in a pack, would go a long way to sorting out what size the plate needs to be. Naturally, NASCAR thinks that teams paying out money for this testing will be detrimental to the smaller teams with lower budgets...now, remind me who won the Cup last year...
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

NASCAR relaxes rules, seeks return of aggressive driving

Sounds like positive steps to me!...

NASCAR relaxes rules, seeks return of aggressive driving

CONCORD, N.C. (AP) -- Have at it, boys.

NASCAR is relaxing some of its rules this season, and encouraging drivers to show more aggression and emotion, in large part to answer a growing fan sentiment that the sport had gone stale.

"There's an age old saying that NASCAR, 'If you ain't rubbing, you ain't racing,' " NASCAR president Mike Helton said Thursday. "I think that's what the NASCAR fan, the NASCAR stakeholders all bought into, and all expect."

The first change will be evident when the season opens next month at Daytona International Speedway, where restrictions on bump-drafting will be lifted and horsepower will be increased by the use of the largest restrictor plate since 1989.

NASCAR had been slowly tightening its tolerance on bumping at Daytona and Talladega -- the two biggest and fastest tracks in the series, where the horsepower-sapping restrictor plates are used to control speeds -- and it graduated into an outright ban issued the morning of the October race at Talladega. The edict sucked the drama out of what's typically one of the most exciting races of the year, and was the final straw for many race fans who had grown tired of watered-down racing.

Even some drivers publicly complained, criticism that is usually frowned upon in NASCAR.

"Let us RACE," Denny Hamlin tweeted after the Talladega drivers meeting, later adding, "We signed up to drive our cars. Not be told how to."

He's getting his wish.

"We will put it back in the hands of drivers, and we will say 'Boys, have at it and have a good time,' " vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said Thursday.

The yellow out-of-bounds line that circles the bottom of those two tracks will remain, and Pemberton said the majority of drivers did not want that removed.

Another change coming this year will be an eventual switch from the rear wing to a spoiler on the back of the car, a design change that should both positively affect downforce and the aesthetic look that race fans prefer.

Also on tap is an organizational restructuring. The most prominent shuffle is the promotion of longtime Sprint Cup Series director John Darby into an oversight position, and NASCAR is actively looking for his replacement in a role that is effectively the top cop of the garage.

Darby's successor could be in for a busy year, particularly if drivers answer NASCAR chairman Brian France's call "to mix it up a little bit differently" going forward.

As NASCAR exploded over the 1990s past its small Southern roots into a billion-dollar, corporate-fueled sport, its participants seemed to morph into robotic sponsor shills too frightened to make waves. NASCAR wasn't immune, either, and started policing on-track aggression and off-track emotion.

Intentional on-track retaliation was met with immediate punishment, while transgressions such as shoving a competitor or cursing in a television interview were met with monetary fines and/or points deductions.

Fans were incensed that the rough and tumble sport they once loved had been molded into boring, follow-the-leader racing, and their favorite drivers had become too vanilla. It wasn't until last fall -- when Hamlin waged a monthslong feud with up-and-comer Brad Keselowski, and Tony Stewart and Juan Pablo Montoya intentionally wrecked each other in the season finale -- that NASCAR finally saw the lift the emotions and personalities can deliver to the sport.

So France, who in the past has been accused of being out of touch with stock car racing's participants, began a series of offseason meetings with individual teams and drivers to poll opinion on how to re-energize the sport.

All the changes announced Thursday, as well as the promise by France that NASCAR will "loosen it up," came from those meetings.

Still, Helton cautioned it won't be the Wild West.

"It doesn't mean that you get a free pass-out-of-jail card," he said. "But it certainly means that what we are encouraging the competitors ... for their character and their personality, within reason, to be unfolded."

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

I'm planning a weekend out at Topeka when the NHRA comes to town. I can't wait!!!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Nascar needs to step it up and fast.
    Looks like they did. Sounds like they're going to let the drivers trade some paint. Bigger plates and the addition of the spoiler could change the personality of the COT.

Im not convinced that is the ultimate cure for what ails NASCAR, that being said, I applaud NASCAR for taking steps to make the sport better. Everything from standardized start times to tweaking the cars is indicative that they are trying.

Time will tell.