Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default My Band's Latest Single: Good Love

This post is kinda out there as far as I'm concerned -- I really don't like to self promote. But this is my favorite forum, and it's full of people I really respect musically and in general, and I'd really like some feedback.

If you go here: http://www.myspace.com/balancedband you can listen to my band's first single that we released off of our upcoming album. It's the first song on the music player, called "Good Love". I'd really like to know you guy's honest opinions on everything about it (however negative or harsh they may be).

My band is just a group of guys who love playing music, and we do everything ourselves -- which is a lot of the reason why we need feedback. Without having other people helping us out, we really have no idea what the reaction to our product is gonna be until it's out and done with, and since we are working on every aspect of it, we never get 'fresh ears' to it. I record, mix, master, etc., everything for our band, so I realize it is nowhere near on par with a 'real studio' recording.

So let me know how bad you all think we suck!!
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 01.10.10 at 12:38 AM.

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

DUDE..i realy like the music portion. Not of a Fan of the Vocals, but that's just a question of tast realy. How was it recorded?...at home?

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 2,850 Times in 1,065 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Some tasty riffin' there mrj! The Chorus/intro riff is killer, and great solo too man! Love it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 07:36 AM
    Liked 106 Times in 43 Posts

My opinion:

I'd give you an A for effort and for passion as everyone is clearly playing their hearts out.

My advice - simplify everything. Sounds as if you have 3 guys all soloing without regard for the groove or song message. Find the most basic groove that works for your song and play it hard, heavy and tight. Make sure you lock in the time as well. Your drummer should think Liberty Devito, not Neil Peart at least until the song is locked. Once the song gels better in a solid, simple and equally passionate structure, then add the fills and spetacular stuff - but only where it helps the song but doesn't detract from the groove. It's always more difficult to play simple but in the long run it usually helps the song.

Vocals - Interesting approach, could improve with some more dynamics, and some background harmony. Needs some work on his pitch. Could be a bit Jim Morrison if the singer steps out more.

Guitar solos had some nice technique, but didn't help sell the song in my opinion. I'd cut it down to 4 bars and keep - Good Love - in my mind when crafting so the solo is moreso inspired by and inspiring the message.

Also - feel free to disregard everything above - everyone has their own artistic journey to travel - no right or wrong answers - just opinions.

Good luck!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:20 PM
    Liked 18,054 Times in 8,923 Posts

Please take this a critique from a guy who is roughly about the same stage you guys are, we are just starting to record our own stuff and doing it all themselves. I applaud the effort taken as I know where you are.

I concur with Rocket on the vocals. To my ears sometimes it sounds as if he is not in the same key as the band? Maybe I am off on that, someone else with a better ear can tell you.

I think getting the vocals to sound right is the toughest thing about self recording, it is just hard to get them to sound good. We are almost to the point where we are going to maybe actually go to a studio to have the vocals done by a pro.

Love the music, just think you guys need to work out the vocals more.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I was hoping it would get into this kind of thread, because then we know what we need to work on!

One thing about the vocals though - I think about 80% of what you guys don't like about them is my fault and do to recording. It is extremely hard to get even a fantastic vocal take to sit well in the mix... I'm finding that out the hard way. Anyway, we'll work on this stuff for the next 2 songs we are currently recording, and see if you like those! Please continue to post whatever about this song if you have any more thoughts.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

All right I'll just pile on. The first thing I would say is less is more when you're recording. I've recorded three CD's in my time, and always less is more...less distortion, less crazy shit, more of a groove. Simplify when you can, it always sounds better.

I really don't want to say negative stuff about anyone's music, because I know how freaking hard it is to write cool original music. I like the music a lot, in fact I think your guitar playing is the highlight for sure, some great stuff. The drummer definitely needs to think groove and not so much off the off-beat stuff, and the rolls. It's a good guitar riff, it needs to be complimented by the drums better. I do agree the guitar solo just kind of comes out of nowhere, and doesn't really fit or something. It's great playing, I'm just not sure it works in the context of the song, and might be a little long for the type of song it is.

The vocals, yes the mix isn't great, they're sitting on top of the music, and not in it, and could use some reverb and maybe even a bit of delay. But your singer really needs to work on his pitch, he goes flat a lot, and like has been said, his dynamics. There are none in his singing at all, very monotone. It's rock and roll man, gotta let it out. You definitely need to add some backing, some kind of harmony too on the chorus. Would really help. Our singer is no Paul McCartney either, but over the years he has really learned how to use dynamics in his singing, and the one thing he always had going for him, he knows his strengths and weaknesses and how to make most of what he does best.

I applaud you guys who record your own stuff, it was too frustrating for me when we tried it. It never sounded or was recorded right. I'd rather go to a studio and just worry about my perfomance, and not have to think about all that other stuff.

Hope I wasn't too harsh. I do think there is some good potential there.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

I like the song. Good job. I'd say re-record the rhythm guitar and just go straight to through the amp and add some meat. Bass is a tad muddy. Cut the first part of the solo and it would fit better. The vocal for sure like someone said, add some echo and reverb. Not too much though. Listen to DLR's isolated tracks that are up on youtube. The slight effects make his vocal fuller.
    Other than that maybe trim the opening or change it a bit, separate the tracks a little and it's ready for the radio. Oh before the singer records his vocal, get him angry at something and then give him a shot of something warm.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

To expand upon what Brett said, someone on here once PM'd me after listening to one of our tunes and told me to quite singing like Sinatra and start singing like Lemmy. It is rock n' roll after all, and I think newer vocalists concentrate too much on hitting the notes instead of just letting it rip and putting all their emotion into it.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Exactly, you have to just let it go. I know it's hard when you're singing and recording. Shit our singer was in a room, by himself, with all this pressure on him, and we're all standing there with our arms folded. It's tough. Shit it was pressure when we were doing all the backing vocals and I was in that tiny room with our bass player...I mean you hear every imperfection in your voice, it's just not like playing an instrument.

Mr J your singer just sounds more nervous than anything, whether he is not. Maybe doing more songs, he'll take some chances and just loosen up a little. Those are his big things...yes watch the pitch issue too, but I think a lot that will go away as he grows more sure of himself as a vocalist.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 1,461 Times in 897 Posts

When the song first started, I thought, "ok, not bad but nothing great either." Then I heard the guitar riff and the song took off. I LOVED the riff. Nice tone and real catchy.
    Vocals were ok and the drummer for me tried to put too much into the song.

But the guitar, that was the star of that song!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I love the energy, but I concur with the guys who suggest stripping it down a little and finding the groove...

Every time I play, I think of Poppa Keith who said," As a musician, your canvas is silence."
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Brett, the part you mention of the "arms folded" is my biggest worry about actually paying for studio time!!

In our little three piece, I would say I am definitely the weak link, and I just hate the thought that dollar signs going down the toilet is running through my bandmates heads as I do take 23, 24, 25 etc!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Brett, the part you mention of the "arms folded" is my biggest worry about actually paying for studio time!!

In our little three piece, I would say I am definitely the weak link, and I just hate the thought that dollar signs going down the toilet is running through my bandmates heads as I do take 23, 24, 25 etc!
    That's why we figured we'd have to record ourselves. A lot of our friends with bands have gone to studios, paid $4000+, get 6 songs recorded, mixed, mastered, and it sounds WAY worse than even our stuff, if you can believe that! And even if I wanted to, I couldn't afford going to a studio -- I spend all of my money on guitar/recording gear!

Having said that though, it's no easier standing there in front of your band and trying to perform your best, whether money is draining or not! I totally feel you on that one, and I think that is something everyone struggles with.

Anyway, thanks thanks thanks again for all the advice and opinions. I really like hearing ALL of it.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Perhaps try to get your singer up into a higher key so he sounds more expressive. I also thought he sounded a bit like Jim Morrison in this one, which is not necessarily a bad thing. But it should be exploited a little more. Of all the crazy things, I listened to this song a few times and in my mind I imagined what Vince Neil would sound like singing over top of that riff, of all people!

I listened to the Unchained cover and your vocalist can definitely sing in a higher key. Perhaps change the key of this song and use an alternate tuning to keep the riffs playable. So many things can make or break a band's sound, but vocals are huge. They are especially big to non-musicians listening to a song. Also, like others have mentioned the vocals should sit down in the mix better, as well as the guitar solo. I must also say that the song is a great effort! Heck, I've been playing since '76 (bands until '85, hobbyist ever since) and all I ever wrote was one crummy instrumental which is on a dusty cassette tape somewhere.